Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2022 6:51:47 PM EDT
I read many, many books on WW II.  The German recruit had to sit there with a knife and peel potatoes.  No potato peelers like we have in our kitchen but with a simple knife. If the skin was too thick, the recruit was wasting potatoes and would get chewed out.  Kitchen duty was not an easy task.

Today I learned that the US Army of WW II had machine potato peelers.  Recruit placed a potato in and it whirled around inside the machine before being spit out all pealed.  America!  BTW, we had a machine in Chef School but I never used it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Potato peel is my favorite part of a potato.  WTF?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Riter:
I read many, many books on WW II.  The German recruit had to sit there with a knife and peel potatoes.  No potato peelers like we have in our kitchen but with a simple knife. If the skin was too thick, the recruit was wasting potatoes and would get chewed out.  Kitchen duty was not an easy task.

Today I learned that the US Army of WW II had machine potato peelers.  Recruit placed a potato in and it whirled around inside the machine before being spit out all pealed.  America!  BTW, we had a machine in Chef School but I never used it.
View Quote

I would say the advantage was that the Allies had potatoes to peel in 1945, and the Germans did not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The fact that Germany didn't have the ability to 24-7 bomb our potato peeler factories might factor in to this as well  .....
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I worked at a restaurant which had the automatic potato peeler, it would take 50 lbs. at a time.  Over time the door handle would get too loose and you had potatoes running everywhere.

Also if you forgot about them and they came out the size of ping pong balls the chef was not happy.    He frowned on using for for carrots, turnips, and rutabagas, but we'd wait until he was elsewhere and use it for as much as we could.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:
View Quote

I never peel mine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:
View Quote

Emma Peel > potato peel.

I think you can ferment potato peel to make alcohol.  I saw the historical documentary, The Great Escape.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Riter:
I read many, many books on WW II.  The German recruit had to sit there with a knife and peel potatoes. No potato peelers like we have in our kitchen but with a simple knife. If the skin was too thick, the recruit was wasting potatoes and would get chewed out.  Kitchen duty was not an easy task.

View Quote

What a great aphorism (or is it a metaphor?) for those armies in that war.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:
The fact that Germany didn't have the ability to 24-7 bomb our potato peeler factories might factor in to this as well  .....
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Logistics
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mstennes:
Logistics
View Quote

All your army's brilliant maneuvers are fer shit if you can't continue to support them. The US logistical machine during WW2 was mind-boggling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lew:

All your army's brilliant maneuvers are fer shit if you can't continue to support them. The US logistical machine during WW2 was mind-boggling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:
Originally Posted By mstennes:
Logistics

It was, factor in none of it existed prior to the war, not only is it mind boggling, it’s mind numbing as well.

Originally Posted By Villafuego:

Which we could do because of logistics, had we not established the logistical supply chain we did we could not have bombed Germany 24/7 nor could we have even invaded France.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, the Germans had a "Potato Masher" grenade.

Several types of the famous 'Stielhandgranate' ('stick grenade') were produced during the war including a percussion version, as well as the Automatic Lighting Time Stick Grenade. Known to British troops as the 'Potato Masher'(because of its shape) the stick grenade could be thrown further than a British Mills bomb.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the few stories my father told me about WWII regarded peeling potatoes.
He and another guy had KP duty, and they loaded all of the potatoes into the 'peeler'.
He said it was like a washing machine.
They turned it on, and then started horsing around.
They finally remembered to go turn it off.
My father said that they had small potatoes because it ran too long.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jmt1991:
One of the few stories my father told me about WWII regarded peeling potatoes.
He and another guy had KP duty, and they loaded all of the potatoes into the 'peeler'.
He said it was like a washing machine.
They turned it on, and then started horsing around.
They finally remembered to go turn it off.
My father said that they had small potatoes because it ran too long.  
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top