Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2023 8:25:04 AM EDT
Maybe it's just me but a lot of my dreams that have involved me needing to defend myself and/or family have included me attempting to use my service weapon and it always never fires. Several of my colleagues have experienced these also. Call it the 1000 lb trigger.
Well my dream last night involved a bunch of 2A protestors and someone pointed a hand canon at me and I was finally able to return fire. Lit the person up 5 times center mass until the threat was neutralized. What followed was a vivid detail to include our agency's procedure of official notification via both oral and written statements and a bunch of paperwork to include witness statements from fellow officers.
Woke up and felt bad for a few seconds until I realized it was just a bad dream.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By CK0311:
Maybe it's just me but a lot of my dreams that have involved me needing to defend myself and/or family have included me attempting to use my service weapon and it always never fires. Several of my colleagues have experienced these also. Call it the 1000 lb trigger.
Well my dream last night involved a bunch of 2A protestors and someone pointed a hand canon at me and I was finally able to return fire. Lit the person up 5 times center mass until the threat was neutralized. What followed was a vivid detail to include our agency's procedure of official notification via both oral and written statements and a bunch of paperwork to include witness statements from fellow officers.
Woke up and felt bad for a few seconds until I realized it was just a bad dream.
View Quote

The 1000 lb trigger, along with the 50 FPS bullets, both seem to be a standard LE dream for some reason!

Thankfully only had that early on in my career.  

Wait til some serious shit goes down, it will force those stupid dreams away and you can have dreams based on real life bad situations…
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I ever had those dreams but have had some weird dream paralysis a time or two.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secamp32] [#3]
I used to have dreams like that when I carried a .32 for backup/off duty.  Incredibly long trigger pull and they didn't even notice that they were shot.  I switched to a .380 LCP and these completely dreams stopped.  What is your duty pistol.  Maybe you are not confident in it's stopping ability.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Very common cop dreams.  Gun doesn't fire, can't pull trigger, can't run, can't fight...all very common.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CSIGunNut:
Very common cop dreams.  Gun doesn't fire, can't pull trigger, can't run, can't fight...all very common.
View Quote

Firemen have the same type of dreams.
The bell goes off
Can't find your turnout bunker gear.
Rush to the apparatus floor and can't find your engine.
Go to work and it's all strangers.
Standing at the end of a hose line and you get no water but other lines are flowing.

Yours sound scarier. Mine are more like WTF moments.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CSIGunNut:
View Quote

I've been wanting someone to do an actual large-scale research study on this phenomenon. From what I can determine, it affects probably 30-50% of the profession...and yet outside of the field, very few professional counselors/therapists/clinicians seem to have ever heard of it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate that dream!!! I have to pull the trigger and it takes 1,000 lbs of pressure to do it and can never get it to go bang. I haven't had that dream in a while but I've had it a bunch of times.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Had that dream a few times too, thankfully been a while though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#9]
I was already working a year or two when a sheriff jail friend was transitioning to the first S&W glock copy, the Sigma.  
During the transition course his new sigma started to fail With a dead trigger.  A smith and W rep drove out from MA (a few hours) The went through the gun and gave it back now with an 18 pound trigger pull.  He left for another agency soon after.

When he told me all the BS problems then I had the dream a few times.   Then I went probably 20 years until it popped back up.  It didn’t bother me the second time. Just work stress
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top