Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 153
Next Page
5/9/2021 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:


This car was no scrub either. And it's a hybrid.

We were at LeMans 2017 when it won.

https://media.evo.co.uk/image/upload/v1571410826/evo/2019/10/Porsche%20919%20Hybrid%20drive%20.jpg

(After that, Porsche/Audi quit going because they wouldn't stop winning... and Toyota wanted a turn. )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

The Carrera GT is an excellent counter argument.

A high powered sports car with one lug wheels and completely bereft of driver assistance.

Be careful or be killed. It is not a car for the movie star but only the highest class aficionados who will give the car the respect it demands.


This car was no scrub either. And it's a hybrid.

We were at LeMans 2017 when it won.

https://media.evo.co.uk/image/upload/v1571410826/evo/2019/10/Porsche%20919%20Hybrid%20drive%20.jpg

(After that, Porsche/Audi quit going because they wouldn't stop winning... and Toyota wanted a turn. )

And yet...

Audi will never have the race heritage Porsche puts in your garage. GT3 Cup directly inspires GT3 production vehicles.

GT3 will always be the best Porsche ever. "BUT MUH GT2RS! BUT MUH CARRERA GT"



It takes a team to achieve a dream. The new 911 GT3 Cup.
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/9/2021 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

And yet...

Audi will never have the race heritage Porsche puts in your garage. GT3 Cup directly inspires GT3 production vehicles.

GT3 will always be the best Porsche ever. "BUT MUH GT2RS! BUT MUH CARRERA GT"

https://media1.tenor.com/images/9e85260fbf36db870eaab519f0e28f2e/tenor.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxX4sl3lHfE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

The Carrera GT is an excellent counter argument.

A high powered sports car with one lug wheels and completely bereft of driver assistance.

Be careful or be killed. It is not a car for the movie star but only the highest class aficionados who will give the car the respect it demands.


This car was no scrub either. And it's a hybrid.

We were at LeMans 2017 when it won.

https://media.evo.co.uk/image/upload/v1571410826/evo/2019/10/Porsche%20919%20Hybrid%20drive%20.jpg

(After that, Porsche/Audi quit going because they wouldn't stop winning... and Toyota wanted a turn. )

And yet...

Audi will never have the race heritage Porsche puts in your garage. GT3 Cup directly inspires GT3 production vehicles.

GT3 will always be the best Porsche ever. "BUT MUH GT2RS! BUT MUH CARRERA GT"

https://media1.tenor.com/images/9e85260fbf36db870eaab519f0e28f2e/tenor.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxX4sl3lHfE



https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePholosopher
#FLUBRO4LYFE
5/9/2021 7:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat][Edited] [#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:



View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

The Carrera GT is an excellent counter argument.

A high powered sports car with one lug wheels and completely bereft of driver assistance.

Be careful or be killed. It is not a car for the movie star but only the highest class aficionados who will give the car the respect it demands.


This car was no scrub either. And it's a hybrid.

We were at LeMans 2017 when it won.

https://media.evo.co.uk/image/upload/v1571410826/evo/2019/10/Porsche%20919%20Hybrid%20drive%20.jpg

(After that, Porsche/Audi quit going because they wouldn't stop winning... and Toyota wanted a turn. )

And yet...

Audi will never have the race heritage Porsche puts in your garage. GT3 Cup directly inspires GT3 production vehicles.

GT3 will always be the best Porsche ever. "BUT MUH GT2RS! BUT MUH CARRERA GT"

https://media1.tenor.com/images/9e85260fbf36db870eaab519f0e28f2e/tenor.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxX4sl3lHfE




The 2022 Porsche 911 GT3 is a 9000-rpm love letter to a dying breed

Very few new cars offered today could be considered unabashed love letters to the fine art of driving. As the world increasingly favors tarted-up crossovers and electron-fed transportation pods, the list of holdouts is wearing thin. Despite diving head-first into EVs such as the Taycan, Porsche is very much committed to balancing the scales with magnificent, traditionalist sports cars from its hardcore GT lineup.

Now that we’ve gotten to know the 992-generation 911 a bit, all backroad barons and track day zealots can rejoice at having to wait no longer: The new 2022 Porsche 911 GT3 is here with 502 horsepower, six throttle bodies, and a sub-seven-minute ’Ring time.


The New 911 GT3: Onboard at the Nordschleife
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/9/2021 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I cannot afford one.

I have never driven one.

But I'm absolutely positive the GT3 is simply the best enthusiast car on the market. Period.

And what I lack in experience I make up in not being gay.
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/9/2021 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Then there's the mid-engine 911 GT1... a man can dream.




https://www.motortrend.com/news/can-buy-street-legal-1997-porsche-911-gt1-evo/

There are many like it, but this one is mine.
"Leaders love to point." - C. Hathcock
5/9/2021 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
A griff breeder's husband down in Boise just brought home a Cayman GT4, and he's raving about it. I was a little surprised because he's about my size, which has me rethinking the whole equation. The only thing I really don't want to live with is that scaffolded wing on the backside. I'm sure nobody looks twice in Southern California, but that's more attention than I want in Northern Idaho.

Then I discover the GTS lacks the wing, but still brings a mid-engined 4.0L, naturally aspired flat six with a manual tranny and 404 hp...and I can do a brand new GTS for two year old 911 Carrera S money. God knows it's a beautiful, and drawing raves as well. This is a tough call.

5/9/2021 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Osprey61:
A griff breeder's husband down in Boise just brought home a Cayman GT4, and he's raving about it. I was a little surprised because he's about my size, which has me rethinking the whole equation. The only thing I really don't want to live with is that scaffolded wing on the backside. I'm sure nobody looks twice in Southern California, but that's more attention than I want in Northern Idaho.

Then I discover the GTS lacks the wing, but still brings a mid-engined 4.0L, naturally aspired flat six with a manual tranny and 404 hp...and I can do a brand new GTS for two year old 911 Carrera S money. God knows it's a beautiful, and drawing raves as well. This is a tough call.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/Cayman-1936310.jpg
View Quote

The 911 is timeless and lacks pretentiousness.

The 911 is a rich man's car and the car the middle class man saves for used.

An Aston is a symbol of money. Ever changing with style and might be in fashion one year and out the next with your country club.

The 911 is refinement. It is all that is good and right with cars, and while it has changed over the years it is the same. It is a unique attainable car that isn't different for the sake of different but beautiful because it never needed to change. Sure, slight cosmetic updates, sure, engines and engineering change. But a rear wheel drive rear engine sports car, no one other than Porsche had perfected, let alone made iconic.

It embodies everything good with car culture, yet retains its roots.
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/9/2021 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
I cannot afford one.

I have never driven one.

But I'm absolutely positive the GT3 is simply the best enthusiast car on the market. Period.

And what I lack in experience I make up in not being gay.
View Quote

Assuming I keep my 992 order or pick up another 991.2, if you’re willing to make a road trip to GA you can take mine out for a spin.
I like cars.
5/9/2021 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

Assuming I keep my 992 order or pick up another 991.2, if you’re willing to make a road trip to GA you can take mine out for a spin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
I cannot afford one.

I have never driven one.

But I'm absolutely positive the GT3 is simply the best enthusiast car on the market. Period.

And what I lack in experience I make up in not being gay.

Assuming I keep my 992 order or pick up another 991.2, if you’re willing to make a road trip to GA you can take mine out for a spin.

I can think of nothing better than going to Cola Warrior and driving a 911 in the same week.

You best be careful, I will take you up on that.

The 911 is everything wholesome and good that is cars. Corvettes have muh leaf spring and they definitely have with the latest generation a fantastic performance to money ratio. Let's not bullshit. The new corvette is an amazing car. It really is.

But it's not a 911. No other car produced will ever be a 911. Heck name me another rear engine rear wheel drive car. It is completely unique. It is the daily driver as well as the king of the track. Even if you know nothing about the car, a dumb woman can admit it's pretty.

The 911 is everything good in this world. It is timeless, it is changed but unchanged. It is still competitive with the market in terms of performance. It still incites passion. It is only practical because owners demand it be practical because they can't stop driving it.
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/9/2021 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
True story.

I was 22 and fresh out of college and got an entry level job with Enterprise Rent a Car. So as a lowly employee I got sent to pick up a customer from a Porsche dealership. I don't remember what the customer who rented from us drove but some piece of shit was bitching about an oil change in his 911.

I went off at the guy. Do you understand how oil coolers work, rear engine, necessity for lots of synthetic oil, whole nine. Ripped this dude.

He came back with "What are you out of college? You probably drive shit you can't afford this

I responded that you're correct I can't afford this, money doesn't buy class, and it's sad a rental car employee knows more about your car than you do.

Ended up getting a big contract with the dealer by telling some stupid rich guy he was retarded.
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/9/2021 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
911s will always be awesome. Fuck the next thing.

911s are and will always be the car for car guys. Fuck any guy who tries to flex on you for having the past model.

Any 911 a man owns that same man loves
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/11/2021 11:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColdboreDreamer][Edited] [#12]
Taycan Cross Turismo test drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-wfdAY08ek

Porsche Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo — The one-car solution | PCA Spotlight

There are many like it, but this one is mine.
"Leaders love to point." - C. Hathcock
5/12/2021 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:
Taycan Cross Turismo test drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-wfdAY08ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-wfdAY08ek
View Quote



Those are going to be so cool.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePholosopher
#FLUBRO4LYFE
5/12/2021 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Coolant question.  2012 911s 3.8.  I've owned the car for 45 days 1500 miles.  Twice since I have owned, probably 30 days apart, I had some coolant on the floor under DS exhaust.  Probably less than an ounce.  Ironically, I had it at my local Porsche dealership last week to have a heat shield recall, and new key fob programmed.  The gave me the old "complementary 100 point check".  They did not find a single thing to upsell me on.  Writer said all perfect.

Anyway, is this something I should get diagnosed?  Level looks good.  Could it just be a little full and overflow due to "spirited driving"?

Thanks.
Like that's just your opinion man...
5/12/2021 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:
Taycan Cross Turismo test drive
View Quote


We have a Panamera Sport Turismo. I can’t tell you enough how awesome the car is. But it is not a 1 car solution, and neither will the Cross Turismo be such.
5/12/2021 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Originally Posted By GoBlue:


We have a Panamera Sport Turismo. I can’t tell you enough how awesome the car is. But it is not a 1 car solution, and neither will the Cross Turismo be such.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By GoBlue:
Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:
Taycan Cross Turismo test drive


We have a Panamera Sport Turismo. I can’t tell you enough how awesome the car is. But it is not a 1 car solution, and neither will the Cross Turismo be such.

Thankfully there's 911s and then like a truck or minivan or whatever.

I need to come up with a derogatory term for my beliefs. Like a 911 Supremacist. Because I am and I don't even own one. IT IS ALL THAT IS PORSCHE
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/12/2021 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Originally Posted By vetmotox:
Coolant question.  2012 911s 3.8.  I've owned the car for 45 days 1500 miles.  Twice since I have owned, probably 30 days apart, I had some coolant on the floor under DS exhaust.  Probably less than an ounce.  Ironically, I had it at my local Porsche dealership last week to have a heat shield recall, and new key fob programmed.  The gave me the old "complementary 100 point check".  They did not find a single thing to upsell me on.  Writer said all perfect.

Anyway, is this something I should get diagnosed?  Level looks good.  Could it just be a little full and overflow due to "spirited driving"?

Thanks.
View Quote

Is the expansion tank leaking? Maybe it leaks as temps increase.
5/14/2021 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#19]
@NorthBridge Here is a little head to head comparison between the US sugar scoops and the ROW H4s. I need to get the reflectors refinished and the bezel on the passenger side is pretty jacked up so I’m probably just going to replace it. I’ve also got the trim rings to cover the chrome part that I’ll paint when I do the (currently blue) front valance.  





5/14/2021 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:
@NorthBridge Here is a little head to head comparison between the US sugar scoops and the ROW H4s. I need to get the reflectors refinished and the bezel on the passenger side is pretty jacked up so I’m probably just going to replace it. I’ve also got the trim rings to cover the chrome part that I’ll paint when I do the (currently blue) front valance.  

https://i.imgur.com/xZ43TQK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mZ2KqP3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8zgAgMR.jpg
View Quote


Yeah man, the ROW version look MUCH better. Fantastic.
SETEC ASTRONOMY
5/15/2021 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I like cars.
5/15/2021 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quote History


Nice.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePholosopher
#FLUBRO4LYFE
5/15/2021 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks amazing!!!  
LittlePony: I'm gay, not a faggot.
5/15/2021 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quote History

Time to change the avitar.... or buy the lava orange GT3RS on BaT to match.
5/15/2021 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Time to change the avitar.... or buy the lava orange GT3RS on BaT to match.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Time to change the avitar.... or buy the lava orange GT3RS on BaT to match.


Just you guys wait until I get my lava orange hybrid Cayenne.

Then you'll all be real jelly!

...


J/K

That McLaren is stunning.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePholosopher
#FLUBRO4LYFE
5/15/2021 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:


Just you guys wait until I get my lava orange hybrid Cayenne.

Then you'll all be real jelly!

...


J/K

That McLaren is stunning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Time to change the avitar.... or buy the lava orange GT3RS on BaT to match.


Just you guys wait until I get my lava orange hybrid Cayenne.

Then you'll all be real jelly!

...


J/K

That McLaren is stunning.


I don’t care if it’s a 914, lava orange is lava orange.

Agreed on the McLaren. D_J is a baller and now he has doors that go like “this”

5/16/2021 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
This guy!....Oh yeah!... am I right!?!

Looks awesome!
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
"Leaders love to point." - C. Hathcock
5/16/2021 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quote History


One of my favorite memories of the Hershey swap was years ago when two Carrera GT's pulled into the show field.

The second guy in parked and revved the engine for the crowd, as my teenage son stood directly behind him and reveled in the noise.
Father of a US Marine
Team Ranstad
Tennessee Squire
Non Illegitimus Carborundum Tibi
5/16/2021 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Only in GD could I buy a new Audi Q8 and still feel like a poor.
5/16/2021 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quote History
Originally Posted By FlyNavy75:
Only in GD could I buy a new Audi Q8 and still feel like a poor.
View Quote

Don't feel bad Q8s are fantastic.

... the profits from them help make better 911s
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/16/2021 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Don't feel bad Q8s are fantastic.

... the profits from them help make better 911s
View Quote

Yeah I love it. It came down to that or a Cayenne and I didn’t feel it was particular close between those two.
5/16/2021 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Originally Posted By FlyNavy75:

Yeah I love it. It came down to that or a Cayenne and I didn’t feel it was particular close between those two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By FlyNavy75:
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Don't feel bad Q8s are fantastic.

... the profits from them help make better 911s

Yeah I love it. It came down to that or a Cayenne and I didn’t feel it was particular close between those two.

Q8 definitely has better features and driver experience. My two cents.
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
SOON WE WILL JUST UPLOAD OUR RECOIL TO THE CLOUD

Originally Posted By SBR_Slut: SHOOT THE PISTON ABOMINATION TURBOBIGOT

TOUCH IT
5/16/2021 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quote History



SETEC ASTRONOMY
5/16/2021 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History


5/16/2021 11:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J][Edited] [#35]
Quote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Looks amazing!!!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Looks amazing!!!  

Originally Posted By Mblades:
Time to change the avitar.... or buy the lava orange GT3RS on BaT to match.

Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
That McLaren is stunning.

Originally Posted By Mblades:
Agreed on the McLaren. D_J is a baller and now he has doors that go like “this”

https://media.tenor.com/images/e7d2cfea95963b8a456b72873021bc85/tenor.gif

Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:
This guy!....Oh yeah!... am I right!?!

Looks awesome!

Originally Posted By NorthBridge:

Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Thanks guys.  Definitely not a baller - I ordered some more $20 Wrangler shorts from Target because I've worn out all my old ones.

I took my son with me to a cars & coffee Saturday, which led to a guy from a local group to invite us to an event today at Atlanta Motorspeedway.  They had track laps (including the infield portion of the extended track), a burnout pit, a drifting pit, vendors and lots of cars.  Both experiences were fun, but they proved what the guys on MacLife said - which is the car draws a _lot_ of attention.

Driving through the rural countryside Saturday, every head turned at every intersection.  If I was stopped for more than a few seconds anywhere, the cell phones come out.  At the cars & coffee, people would take turns sitting in the car for selfies.  Waiting in line to get in the race track today, there was a steady stream of people wanting photos or video.  At one point, I put the parking brake on so I could get out to see why we weren't moving - as soon as the door goes up, people start exiting the cars behind us for pictures.  One guy came by twice, including once to ask if he could sit in the car - he was filming for a youtube channel with 2M followers.  About 10-15 min later, he comes running down down the line to bring us a cold bottle of water. Later, we were waved around (bypassed) a long line of 50-80 cars forced through a side lot in order to get us closer to the gate to the infield, and once inside were were directed and told to park in the gated exotic area.

I really don't mind the people who want to come and look inside, sit in it, get selfies, etc. - I did the same thing when I was young (hell, I stuck my nose in a ton of cars at the track today) - and its nice to see all the smiles it generates.  But it is a bit like living in a fishbowl at the zoo.
I like cars.
5/17/2021 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:
Thanks guys.  Definitely not a baller - I ordered some more $20 Wrangler shorts from Target because I've worn out all my old ones.

I took my son with me to a cars & coffee Saturday, which led to a guy from a local group to invite us to an event today at Atlanta Motorspeedway.  They had track laps (including the infield portion of the extended track), a burnout pit, a drifting pit, vendors and lots of cars.  Both experiences were fun, but they proved what the guys on MacLife said - which is the car draws a _lot_ of attention.

Driving through the rural countryside Saturday, every head turned at every intersection.  If I was stopped for more than a few seconds anywhere, the cell phones come out.  At the cars & coffee, people would take turns sitting in the car for selfies.  Waiting in line to get in the race track today, there was a steady stream of people wanting photos or video.  At one point, I put the parking brake on so I could get out to see why we weren't moving - as soon as the door goes up, people start exiting the cars behind us for pictures.  One guy came by twice, including once to ask if he could sit in the car - he was filming for a youtube channel with 2M followers.  About 10-15 min later, he comes running down down the line to bring us a cold bottle of water. Later, we were waved around (bypassed) a long line of 50-80 cars forced through a side lot in order to get us closer to the gate to the infield, and once inside were were directed and told to park in the gated exotic area.

I really don't mind the people who want to come and look inside, sit in it, get selfies, etc. - I did the same thing when I was young (hell, I stuck my nose in a ton of cars at the track today) - and its nice to see all the smiles it generates.  But it is a bit like living in a fishbowl at the zoo.
View Quote


That’s awesome! Great cars are meant to be driven and admired, you had that GT3 on track right away and it warms my heart to see you didn’t waste any time with the 670. How old is your son? My youngest has been a car fanatic since the beginning(he’s about 2 in the picture). Now at 5 he’s constantly updating his dream garage every time we drive somewhere.


5/17/2021 1:11:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J][Edited] [#37]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:


That’s awesome! Great cars are meant to be driven and admired, you had that GT3 on track right away and it warms my heart to see you didn’t waste any time with the 670. How old is your son? My youngest has been a car fanatic since the beginning(he’s about 2 in the picture). Now at 5 he’s constantly updating his dream garage every time we drive somewhere.

https://i.imgur.com/JVqUblCl.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Originally Posted By D_J:
Thanks guys.  Definitely not a baller - I ordered some more $20 Wrangler shorts from Target because I've worn out all my old ones.

I took my son with me to a cars & coffee Saturday, which led to a guy from a local group to invite us to an event today at Atlanta Motorspeedway.  They had track laps (including the infield portion of the extended track), a burnout pit, a drifting pit, vendors and lots of cars.  Both experiences were fun, but they proved what the guys on MacLife said - which is the car draws a _lot_ of attention.

Driving through the rural countryside Saturday, every head turned at every intersection.  If I was stopped for more than a few seconds anywhere, the cell phones come out.  At the cars & coffee, people would take turns sitting in the car for selfies.  Waiting in line to get in the race track today, there was a steady stream of people wanting photos or video.  At one point, I put the parking brake on so I could get out to see why we weren't moving - as soon as the door goes up, people start exiting the cars behind us for pictures.  One guy came by twice, including once to ask if he could sit in the car - he was filming for a youtube channel with 2M followers.  About 10-15 min later, he comes running down down the line to bring us a cold bottle of water. Later, we were waved around (bypassed) a long line of 50-80 cars forced through a side lot in order to get us closer to the gate to the infield, and once inside were were directed and told to park in the gated exotic area.

I really don't mind the people who want to come and look inside, sit in it, get selfies, etc. - I did the same thing when I was young (hell, I stuck my nose in a ton of cars at the track today) - and its nice to see all the smiles it generates.  But it is a bit like living in a fishbowl at the zoo.


That’s awesome! Great cars are meant to be driven and admired, you had that GT3 on track right away and it warms my heart to see you didn’t waste any time with the 670. How old is your son? My youngest has been a car fanatic since the beginning(he’s about 2 in the picture). Now at 5 he’s constantly updating his dream garage every time we drive somewhere.

https://i.imgur.com/JVqUblCl.jpg

He’s 14 and a great kid. I wish he spent more time on his grades and scout merit badges than Rocket League or Fortnite, but overall both our kids are terrific. He loves cars like I do (maybe not as obsessive as I was). He was going to go with my wife and daughter to meet some of her friends at a park to play, but I talked him into going with me because I knew he’d like it.

On the way home he told me how much fun he had and his face hurt because he couldn’t stop smiling all day. He had fun waving back at people who waved at us.

I like cars.
5/17/2021 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

He's 14 and a great kid. I wish he spent more time on his grades and scout merit badges than Rocket League or Fortnite, but overall both our kids are terrific. He loves cars like I do (maybe not as obsessive as I was). He was going to go with my wife and daughter to meet some of her friends at a park to play, but I talked him into going with me because I knew he'd like it.

On the way home he told me how much fun he had and his face hurt because he couldn't stop smiling all day. He had fun waving back at people who waved at us.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/D7137997-53CE-47E9-8685-3C4164681128-1945406.jpg
View Quote
That's awesome! Those are lifelong memories that'll bring a smile to his face many years from now! Good job, Dad!
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
"Leaders love to point." - C. Hathcock
5/17/2021 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

He’s 14 and a great kid. I wish he spent more time on his grades and scout merit badges than Rocket League or Fortnite, but overall both our kids are terrific. He loves cars like I do (maybe not as obsessive as I was). He was going to go with my wife and daughter to meet some of her friends at a park to play, but I talked him into going with me because I knew he’d like it.

On the way home he told me how much fun he had and his face hurt because he couldn’t stop smiling all day. He had fun waving back at people who waved at us.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/D7137997-53CE-47E9-8685-3C4164681128-1945406.jpg
View Quote


That’s fantastic.

I don’t have kids (nature’s fault, not for lack of trying lol) but I remember how much it meant to me when Dad and I would go for a drive in his 911 when I was a boy. Many times it was headed to the Astrodome to catch a ‘Stros game.
I know your boy will cherish those memories over time.
SETEC ASTRONOMY
5/17/2021 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:
That's awesome! Those are lifelong memories that'll bring a smile to his face many years from now! Good job, Dad!
View Quote

Originally Posted By NorthBridge:
That’s fantastic.

I don’t have kids (nature’s fault, not for lack of trying lol) but I remember how much it meant to me when Dad and I would go for a drive in his 911 when I was a boy. Many times it was headed to the Astrodome to catch a ‘Stros game.
I know your boy will cherish those memories over time.
View Quote

Thanks.  We try to make a point of spending a lot of time with the kids and doing as much together as we can.  We are big believers that stuff is easily forgotten (how many remember more than 2-3 items received last Christmas?), but memories last a lifetime.  I remember camping and baseball with my parents as a kid, swimming in the backyard pool.  

I hope my kids grow up to remember the most important thing in our lives was (is) them.
I like cars.
5/17/2021 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quote History


How's it compare to the Porsche?
"Problem in Venezuela is not that socialism has been poorly implemented, but that socialism has been faithfully implemented."
5/17/2021 12:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J][Edited] [#42]
Quote History
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:


How's it compare to the Porsche?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:


How's it compare to the Porsche?

I have not had on it on the track or twisties yet, so I can't really compare handling, but I do have a few thoughts.

Engine: Porsche.  The NA wail + the immediate response vs. the 570 turbo lag is better, IMHO.  The turbo whine, wastegate "whoosh" and grunt (once it spins up) are fun, but I prefer the Porsche engine.

Transmission: Porsche. The PDK and 570 dual clutch are probably similarly fast, and the 570 is no doubt quicker (more hp, less weight, better aero for speed), but Porsche makes the best DCA in the world.  You don't get the kick in the back with the Mac.  Plus, I can still get a 6MT in the 911. [ETA - forgot this one]

Looks/Exterior: Tie.  The Mac turns more heads, but the 991 GT3 was (IMHO) the best looking Porsche to date, both winged and Touring.

Interior: Tie.  All McLaren interiors, like Ferrari/Lambo/Aston/etc. are nicer and more striking than Porsche, but the Porsche feels at home and anyone who can drive a Camry can figure out the Porsche buttons/display/settings.  Whomever laid out the dash and center UI/menu system on the 570 should be sacked.

Reliability: Porsche.  Hands down, the Macs are less reliable mechanically and electrically, and will not stand up to the beating the 911 will accept and ask for more.  This is both anecdotal (mechanical) and personal (electronics).  The steering wheel electronic adjustment locked in place with a fault in the first hour of driving (got the error to go away and unlock by raising as high as it would go).  More than half the time I have to take the key from my pocket and hold it near the center console to start the car (it can't detect it with me sitting in the driver seat).  I've set off the alarm twice by opening the door with the key in my pocket.  Holding the menu stalk up raises the nose, but holding it down dims the screen - you have to go into the menu and find nose lift to engage the lower function, or just drive faster than 37 mph.  One key unlocks the door (the other doesn't seem to work) while the second key works better to start the car; consequently I drive with both keys.

In a perfect world, I would have ordered a brand new, 2022 911 GT3 Touring in a PTS color with the 991.2 body.  That perfect world doesn't exist.  I don't like the 992 GT3 looks, but I have an allocation sometime around the end of MY22 or start of MY23, so I'm holding out to see what the touring looks like and whether the looks grow on me.  In the absence of that, the 570 is a fun diversion and gets me back in a fun, fast sports car - something I've missed since selling the GTS (the GT350 was another good distraction, but I didn't drive it much for some reason).  My son is old enough to go to car club hangouts and drives with me now, so I'm looking forward to the social part again and the exotic nature of the 570 makes every outing fun, so if the car stays reliable and I decide not to go to the 992, I may keep it a few years and/or trade towards a 720 or Huracan.

Bottom line, if you want an exotic / supercar the 570 is and the 911 is not.  If you want a driver's car, the GT3 is better.
I like cars.
5/17/2021 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

I have not had on it on the track or twisties yet, so I can't really compare handling, but I do have a few thoughts.

Engine: Porsche.  The NA wail + the immediate response vs. the 570 turbo lag is better, IMHO.  The turbo whine, wastegate "whoosh" and grunt (once it spins up) are fun, but I prefer the Porsche engine.

Transmission: Porsche. The PDK and 570 dual clutch are probably similarly fast, and the 570 is no doubt quicker (more hp, less weight, better aero for speed), but Porsche makes the best DCA in the world.  You don't get the kick in the back with the Mac.  Plus, I can still get a 6MT in the 911. [ETA - forgot this one]

Looks/Exterior: Tie.  The Mac turns more heads, but the 991 GT3 was (IMHO) the best looking Porsche to date, both winged and Touring.

Interior: Tie.  All McLaren interiors, like Ferrari/Lambo/Aston/etc. are nicer and more striking than Porsche, but the Porsche feels at home and anyone who can drive a Camry can figure out the Porsche buttons/display/settings.  Whomever laid out the dash and center UI/menu system on the 570 should be sacked.

Reliability: Porsche.  Hands down, the Macs are less reliable mechanically and electrically, and will not stand up to the beating the 911 will accept and ask for more.  This is both anecdotal (mechanical) and personal (electronics).  The steering wheel electronic adjustment locked in place with a fault in the first hour of driving (got the error to go away and unlock by raising as high as it would go).  More than half the time I have to take the key from my pocket and hold it near the center console to start the car (it can't detect it with me sitting in the driver seat).  I've set off the alarm twice by opening the door with the key in my pocket.  Holding the menu stalk up raises the nose, but holding it down dims the screen - you have to go into the menu and find nose lift to engage the lower function, or just drive faster than 37 mph.  One key unlocks the door (the other doesn't seem to work) while the second key works better to start the car; consequently I drive with both keys.

In a perfect world, I would have ordered a brand new, 2022 911 GT3 Touring in a PTS color with the 991.2 body.  That perfect world doesn't exist.  I don't like the 992 GT3 looks, but I have an allocation sometime around the end of MY22 or start of MY23, so I'm holding out to see what the touring looks like and whether the looks grow on me.  In the absence of that, the 570 is a fun diversion and gets me back in a fun, fast sports car - something I've missed since selling the GTS (the GT350 was another good distraction, but I didn't drive it much for some reason).  My son is old enough to go to car club hangouts and drives with me now, so I'm looking forward to the social part again and the exotic nature of the 570 makes every outing fun, so if the car stays reliable and I decide not to go to the 992, I may keep it a few years and/or trade towards a 720 or Huracan.

Bottom line, if you want an exotic / supercar the 570 is and the 911 is not.  If you want a driver's car, the GT3 is better.
View Quote


I appreciate the detailed post. I've been leaning 911 for a while. It seems my budget keeps creeping up to get what I want
"Problem in Venezuela is not that socialism has been poorly implemented, but that socialism has been faithfully implemented."
5/17/2021 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quote History
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:


I appreciate the detailed post. I've been leaning 911 for a while. It seems my budget keeps creeping up to get what I want
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
Originally Posted By D_J:

I have not had on it on the track or twisties yet, so I can't really compare handling, but I do have a few thoughts.

Engine: Porsche.  The NA wail + the immediate response vs. the 570 turbo lag is better, IMHO.  The turbo whine, wastegate "whoosh" and grunt (once it spins up) are fun, but I prefer the Porsche engine.

Transmission: Porsche. The PDK and 570 dual clutch are probably similarly fast, and the 570 is no doubt quicker (more hp, less weight, better aero for speed), but Porsche makes the best DCA in the world.  You don't get the kick in the back with the Mac.  Plus, I can still get a 6MT in the 911. [ETA - forgot this one]

Looks/Exterior: Tie.  The Mac turns more heads, but the 991 GT3 was (IMHO) the best looking Porsche to date, both winged and Touring.

Interior: Tie.  All McLaren interiors, like Ferrari/Lambo/Aston/etc. are nicer and more striking than Porsche, but the Porsche feels at home and anyone who can drive a Camry can figure out the Porsche buttons/display/settings.  Whomever laid out the dash and center UI/menu system on the 570 should be sacked.

Reliability: Porsche.  Hands down, the Macs are less reliable mechanically and electrically, and will not stand up to the beating the 911 will accept and ask for more.  This is both anecdotal (mechanical) and personal (electronics).  The steering wheel electronic adjustment locked in place with a fault in the first hour of driving (got the error to go away and unlock by raising as high as it would go).  More than half the time I have to take the key from my pocket and hold it near the center console to start the car (it can't detect it with me sitting in the driver seat).  I've set off the alarm twice by opening the door with the key in my pocket.  Holding the menu stalk up raises the nose, but holding it down dims the screen - you have to go into the menu and find nose lift to engage the lower function, or just drive faster than 37 mph.  One key unlocks the door (the other doesn't seem to work) while the second key works better to start the car; consequently I drive with both keys.

In a perfect world, I would have ordered a brand new, 2022 911 GT3 Touring in a PTS color with the 991.2 body.  That perfect world doesn't exist.  I don't like the 992 GT3 looks, but I have an allocation sometime around the end of MY22 or start of MY23, so I'm holding out to see what the touring looks like and whether the looks grow on me.  In the absence of that, the 570 is a fun diversion and gets me back in a fun, fast sports car - something I've missed since selling the GTS (the GT350 was another good distraction, but I didn't drive it much for some reason).  My son is old enough to go to car club hangouts and drives with me now, so I'm looking forward to the social part again and the exotic nature of the 570 makes every outing fun, so if the car stays reliable and I decide not to go to the 992, I may keep it a few years and/or trade towards a 720 or Huracan.

Bottom line, if you want an exotic / supercar the 570 is and the 911 is not.  If you want a driver's car, the GT3 is better.


I appreciate the detailed post. I've been leaning 911 for a while. It seems my budget keeps creeping up to get what I want

I've had a 996, 997.1, 997.2 and 991.2 in base, S, GTS and GT3 formats (respectively).  If you have any questions, toss them out.  Lots of owners in here.
I like cars.
5/17/2021 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

I've had a 996, 997.1, 997.2 and 991.2 in base, S, GTS and GT3 formats (respectively).  If you have any questions, toss them out.  Lots of owners in here.
View Quote


Which was your favorite?
5/17/2021 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

I've had a 996, 997.1, 997.2 and 991.2 in base, S, GTS and GT3 formats (respectively).  If you have any questions, toss them out.  Lots of owners in here.
View Quote


In a 911 with a PDK what's the best bang for the buck in $100-$150,000 range? In a perfect world it would be Miami blue or Gulf colors.
This will be a cars and coffee type car. Doubtful it will ever see a track or at least not for a few years
"Problem in Venezuela is not that socialism has been poorly implemented, but that socialism has been faithfully implemented."
5/17/2021 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quote History
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:


In a 911 with a PDK what's the best bang for the buck in $100-$150,000 range? In a perfect world it would be Miami blue or Gulf colors.
This will be a cars and coffee type car. Doubtful it will ever see a track or at least not for a few years
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
Originally Posted By D_J:

I've had a 996, 997.1, 997.2 and 991.2 in base, S, GTS and GT3 formats (respectively).  If you have any questions, toss them out.  Lots of owners in here.


In a 911 with a PDK what's the best bang for the buck in $100-$150,000 range? In a perfect world it would be Miami blue or Gulf colors.
This will be a cars and coffee type car. Doubtful it will ever see a track or at least not for a few years


I do not have the experience of D_J and others , but when I was buying my 911 a couple of years ago, I spent a lot of time thinking about this - and I wanted to stay under $150k for a new car.  I ended up deciding on the 991.2 GTS.  It seems like the “sweet spot” in the line-up, with more power than a Carrera S, but not as insane (or expensive) as the Turbo ... and still practical and comfortable as a daily driver (in contrast to a slightly used GT3).

If you want to buy a new car, then I don’t think the GTS is available for the 992 lineup yet ... so maybe a 4S with some performance options might be a good choice.

LittlePony: I'm gay, not a faggot.
5/17/2021 3:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe][Edited] [#48]
Quote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:


I do not have the experience of D_J and others , but when I was buying my 911 a couple of years ago, I spent a lot of time thinking about this - and I wanted to stay under $150k for a new car.  I ended up deciding on the 991.2 GTS.  It seems like the “sweet spot” in the line-up, with more power than a Carrera S, but not as insane (or expensive) as the Turbo ... and still practical and comfortable as a daily driver (in contrast to a slightly used GT3).

If you want to buy a new car, then I don’t think the GTS is available for the 992 lineup yet ... so maybe a 4S with some performance options might be a good choice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
Originally Posted By D_J:

I've had a 996, 997.1, 997.2 and 991.2 in base, S, GTS and GT3 formats (respectively).  If you have any questions, toss them out.  Lots of owners in here.


In a 911 with a PDK what's the best bang for the buck in $100-$150,000 range? In a perfect world it would be Miami blue or Gulf colors.
This will be a cars and coffee type car. Doubtful it will ever see a track or at least not for a few years


I do not have the experience of D_J and others , but when I was buying my 911 a couple of years ago, I spent a lot of time thinking about this - and I wanted to stay under $150k for a new car.  I ended up deciding on the 991.2 GTS.  It seems like the “sweet spot” in the line-up, with more power than a Carrera S, but not as insane (or expensive) as the Turbo ... and still practical and comfortable as a daily driver (in contrast to a slightly used GT3).

If you want to buy a new car, then I don’t think the GTS is available for the 992 lineup yet ... so maybe a 4S with some performance options might be a good choice.



GTS (not 911, but still, lol... I agree with the general sentiment of the GTS tier) is about where my sights are set for my next car.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePholosopher
#FLUBRO4LYFE
5/17/2021 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Porsche adjacent:

She had a helmet built for racing the 911.

So I guess there will be more of that in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePholosopher
#FLUBRO4LYFE
5/17/2021 3:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J][Edited] [#50]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Which was your favorite?
View Quote

GT3 for sure.  GTS best daily driver until they made the GT3T.

IMHO, the 911R / 997 GT3RS 4.0 / 991.2 GT3T (touring) are the best cars Porsche has made in the past 40 years (since the 2.7 RS and 930).

Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
In a 911 with a PDK what's the best bang for the buck in $100-$150,000 range? In a perfect world it would be Miami blue or Gulf colors.
This will be a cars and coffee type car. Doubtful it will ever see a track or at least not for a few years
View Quote

100% GTS in 997.2, 991.1 or 991.2 depending on what you want from the car.   Since you said PDK instead of 6MT, you'll probably like the 991 over the 997.  I can't remember without digging through wikipedia if they offered a 991 GTS before switching from the 3.8 NA to the 3.0 turbo motor (probably not, would be my guess), but again - if you're a PDK driver you may like the grunt of the turbo engine over the scream of the NA.

For your region, if you want year-round driving a 4S might be just as good - you just won't get some GTS only features (CL wheels for example).  If its a spring-fall car and you like the open air, a cab or Targa could be an option.

ETA - I left out the 992 (in any version) because the base cost + PTS (Miami and/or Gulf Orange) + any options are going to exceed your $150k budget even on a base Carrera.
I like cars.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 153
Next Page