[Last Edit: ThePontificator]
Five days since previous shave
Cold water shave
ARKO stick shaving soap
Merkur 34C Razor with a new Astra platinum blade
Omega 13564 boar brush
Alum block
Skin Bracer

After months of sitting on the fence about cracking open the Arko stick I bought last year I gave it a go this evening and I must say the results were pretty damn impressive.

Applied shave stick directly to wetted face and used a somewhat dry boar to lather and it didn't take long for the soap to explode into lather. Soap is thirsty so I dipped brush tips into warm water as needed to get the lather to build further.

I also used the stick directly on the face again after the first rinse and before 2nd pass lathering as the brush I was using is pretty small (Omega 13654). Lather was fairly slick and only got slicker with each pass and provided lots of cushion. Blade buffing was a snap.

A good amount of residual slickness after rinsing but skin was left somewhat dry afterward so after the alum block and final rinse/dry a generous pat of Skin Bracer. Some sort of balm would probably have been in order.

Face is amazingly smooth and soft with minimal irritation.

Arko smells like soap. Good old-fashioned clean-smelling soap.
Not urinal cake
Not "lemony"
Not citronella
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
People put it down a lot but it is my go to soap.  Especially for travel.

MLG
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It did NOT work good for me as a shaving soap but I actually like the scent and use it as hand soap.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I did a second shave using Arko 48 hours later: again cold water face lathering but this time with a synth brush with more water in it than the boar I used the first time. Lather was somewhat loose so again I'd suggest a fairly dry brush to start and dip the tips in water as needed.

As far as cheapo soaps go Williams doesn't even come close.

Might have to try Derby's stick soap as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Arko shave #3

Cold water shave with warm water brush soak (Omega 10049 Professional Boar), Muhle R89 Grande razor with a brand new Wilkinson Sword blade.

Face application/lather. Cold water rinse and alum block then re-rinse. No post-shave product but I might use some Nivea before I head out.

Arko just smells...clean.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got piles of stuff I've tried including some pretty high end soaps but I've been using Arko almost continually for years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I threw in a puck of Arko with some other stuff I was ordering during the Razor Emporium Presidents’ Day sale.  Will be curious to see how it stacks up to the nicer stuff I’ve bought.  Could end up saving me a ton of money in the long run if it works well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
After taking a week off from shaving I could stand it no more and did yet another Arko shave using a small Omega boar, Merkur 34C, and a once-used Astra platinum blade. No post-shave other than the alum block.

This shave took the better part of half an hour to complete but the results were worth it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I put about 1/3 of a stick of Arko down into a cake of Stirling Electric Sheep.
This fills my bowl perfectly.
It is the perfect shave soap.
The wool tallow and beef tallow seem to get along famously
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Arko shaving sticks are the Everlasting Gobstoppers of the shaving soap world.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my sample stick of Arko yesterday.  I want to try another sample before I get to this one, but I think it smells nice.  If it performs well, it may become my go to travel shave soap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:08:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hooooon] [#11]
I finally got around to trying Arko tonight.  It did what it is supposed to do, and provided me with a nice shave with minimal fuss.  My skin is pretty oily, so the drying effect isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  I probably wouldn’t use it every day without lotion or an aftershave balm, but if you already do that I don’t see a downside.  I don’t, so I’d probably just use it in between fancier soaps.  Those make my skin a bit too oily, so this should balance them out.  And have the secondary benefit of reminding me that I don’t need to spend stupid amounts of money on shaving supplies.  It does not leave the residual slickness that the better artisan soaps do, so clean up needs more lather than those.  But the stick cost $2.50 so who cares?  Those soaps pretty much start at $18 and probably don’t last as long as this stick will.

I have been stocking up on shave soap due to my desire to have several years’ supply of basic non perishable toiletries on hand (I expect 2020 may have done that to a lot of people), and Arko has definitely given me some things to think about, in particular regarding all those fancy soaps I have open in tabs on my computer but have yet to purchase.  I have a stick of Tabac to try next.  Will be curious to see if that is as drying.

Oh, the scent definitely smelled a bit of citronella, urinal cake, and elementary school janitorial closet, but it dissipates quickly.  It isn’t necessarily a bad smell, just chemical in nature.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Got another amazing shave yesterday morning using Arko stick

COLD WATER SHAVE

Merkur 34C HD razor
A new Astra platinum blade
Yaqi Segrada Familia synth brush
Alum block
Skin Bracer

Oh, yeah!
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#13]
A big advantage of using an Arko stick is that it's just plain convenient.

You wet your face for 30 seconds, you apply the Arko stick to your face and then hit it with your damp shaving brush and BOOM. Lather.

There's no need to bloom the soap
There's no need to mess around with a shaving mug or lather bowl unless you want to.

You can re-apply the stick between passes if you want.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't shaved in 8 days time for some Arko!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]
And around 1am this morning...ARKO time! Hey, if ya can't sleep you can always shave

Merkur 34C HD
Wilkinson Sword blade (new)
Arko shave stick
Yaqi synth brush

Cold water shave was comfortable enough (no irritation, nicks, cuts, or weepers) that I didn't bother using any post-shave products.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Arko sticks,.....I like them.

I haven’t mail ordered anything in a long time so I haven’t replaced it.

I have been buying Cremo tubes off the shelf.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Nineteen months after starting this thread I am still using the same Arko stick.

It's now about 1.25" long and still going strong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:51:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cheechako] [#18]
Arko is all I use so I ordered these off Amazon: Deodorant Containers
Got tired of smashing Arko into bowls and mugs, easier to just apply with the above to wet face and lather.
How To: Make A Shaving Stick! Great for Travel or Home
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cheechako:
Got tired of smashing Arko into bowls and mugs, easier to just apply with the above to wet face and lather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaTHLSY1g1Y
View Quote

Seems kind of an extra step, it's already stick shaped.  I just peel the foil off and go to town.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#20]
ARKO is good stuff. I bought a case of it back in 2017 and I'm still working through it. It's not my every day driver, but I keep a stick at work with an Omega boar brush in case I forgot to shave before I leave the house.

I thought it was a slightly citrus-y, but pleasant scent, definitely not like a urinal cake. My older brother described it as smelling like old Ivory bar soap. I never fail to get a good lather with it doing a face lather with just what grabs on my whiskers after rubbing the dry stick on my face.

I should shave with ARKO this afternoon before work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Just laid in another case.  The last stick of the old case is probably five years old.  It only gets better with age.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cheechako:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaTHLSY1g1Y
View Quote

I’ve never used Arko (yet) but it must be pretty soft. I love Speick shave sticks and I put them in that same container for travel but I have to drill a hole in the center to get them to screw onto the center piece. If I just pushed it like that it would snap the plastic center piece.

Shave sticks in those containers are fantastic though. Kell’s Original used to be available in those same containers (I’ve got 1 left and wish Kell’s was still made).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top