Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 12:27:56 AM EDT
Soviet Storm. WW2 in the East - Operation Barbarossa. Episode 1. StarMedia. Babich-Design

If you  are a history buff, episode 1 of an 18 part series.  Originally produced in 2011 in Russia, and later dubbed in English. What surprised me was the even-handedness of describing the massive screw-ups on *both* sides.  jeez ... the levels of casualties on both was like WWI being fought all over.

The episodes are an interesting blend of historical footage and virtual reality that blend pretty seamlessly . Once you get used to it, it makes sense.  There weren't cameramen everywhere.

One complaint by viewers is too many commercials.  I grabbed them using youtubedownloaderHD and just threw them on my hard drive.
and like Magic!  all the usual youtube commercial breaks are gone.

It's also good video quality, 720 line, instead of the usual 480 or 360

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I stumbled upon it a couple of days ago. Really like it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Orangehat762:
I stumbled upon it a couple of days ago. Really like it.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m watching it on Amazon Prime video. It’s very good- just finished the siege of Leningrad- about 6th or 7th episode. Terrible casualties.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Bookmarked for later, I had a number of relatives who fought on the Ost Front
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Bumping to save from archiving. I started it about a week ago on Prime. Agree that the blend of stills, newsreel footage and CGI works better than you'd think. The biographical sketches are excellent and aren't just generals and marshalls. I've even gotten used to the maps having names in Cyrillic. The episode on the Caucasus was particularly informative.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I watched another 6 part (combined into a 2 part series) on Prime.  The casualties on the Eastern Front are something that we cannot comprehend.

That particular show estimated 25 million casualties in 1400 days.  17,400 per day.  Insane.

I will have to watch this as I am on an Eastern Front kick.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I had to watch the Russian version of this series for a class a couple years ago, I liked it so much I later watched the English version in my free time. Ironically, the Russian and English versions describe certain events quite differently
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pizdets:
I had to watch the Russian version of this series for a class a couple years ago, I liked it so much I later watched the English version in my free time. Ironically, the Russian and English versions describe certain events quite differently
View Quote

Can't say I'm surprised by this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top