Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2024 1:30:43 PM EDT
These were my fathers.  Before he passed he told me they were real gold and valuable.
I don't want to melt them, as they are exquisite in detail.
The lodge he was in no longer exists, Darien Lodge, in the Panama Canal Zone.
They are made by K. R. Park (Kenneth) Boston MA, who apparently crafted many of these.
Are there collectors of these?

559A0174 by Entropy a, on Flickr

559A0179 by Entropy a, on Flickr

559A0170 by Entropy a, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
There are collectors.  A number of them sell on ebay.  

For the Grand Lodge of MA medal, they may be interested in it.  https://massfreemasonry.org/contact-us/
View Quote

Those are my dad's initials in that intricate scroll work on the MA medal.  Took me a while to see it.

How do I find out how much they are worth?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Depends on the actual gold content.  Beyond that they only have value to someone with a tie to them.  

Lodges/Grand Lodges may be interested in repatriating historical items.  An Arf member worked with the G.L. of Michigan to get them back a Past Grand Master jewel that belonged to his grandfather (those are typically on loan until the member dies).

If it belonged to George Washington, that would be a whole different story.
View Quote

What a shame, they are works of art.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]

I would hate to see them melted down for the gold value.  MA Grand Lodge may be interested in them.
View Quote
I agree. I am a life member of the GL of Massachusetts. I strongly suggest that the OP send an Email with the pictures to the Grand Secretary of the GL of Massachusetts. His name is MW Richard Maggio, [email protected]

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LenS:
I agree. I am a life member of the GL of Massachusetts. I strongly suggest that the OP send an Email with the pictures to the Grand Secretary of the GL of Massachusetts. His name is MW Richard Maggio, [email protected]

View Quote

I sent an email this morning, thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Your guy wants me to send them to him for nothing.

Not going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By entropy:

Not going to happen.
View Quote
Those medals are only loaned to the recipient. They are supposed to be returned to the issuing Lodge or the Grand Lodge when the recipient passes away. Sadly many are not returned. Those returned get re-issued with another leaf added with the new person's name. Those are the Masonic rules and should have been explained to you by the Grand Secretary.

Of course, they can't force you to return them. It's an honor thing.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Freemasonry is alive and well in Panama. Here’s an email address for their Grand Lodge.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Not going to happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not going to happen.

Your grandfather would have known that those weren’t his to keep, that they were only entrusted to him to be a steward of until it was time for someone else to be the steward.

There must have been a communication breakdown that they were ever thought as anything other than that. Or possibly that fact was ignored entirely.

I feel confidant in saying that he would have been disappointed.

You do you, no one does it better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
This is an opportunity to remind everyone to have a Masonic Will. Let your family know where your stuff is, what it is and what to do with it.

I have my dad’s things that he purchased or were presented to him as his to keep. They’re things like his KYCH jewel and jewels from other honorary bodies, his Past Master and Knight Templar rings and his Past Master, Past High Priest, Past Thrice Illustrious Master aprons and Past Commander’s jewel. I use all of them, except I gave our son his PTIM apron when he left the East.

My wife and kids know that my Past Grand High Priest and Past Most Illustrious Grand Master jewels go back to the grand office.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tightlines49:

Your grandfather would have known that those weren’t his to keep, that they were only entrusted to him to be a steward of until it was time for someone else to be the steward.

There must have been a communication breakdown that they were ever thought as anything other than that. Or possibly that fact was ignored entirely.

I feel confidant in saying that he would have been disappointed.

You do you, no one does it better.
View Quote

They were my fathers, and specifically called out by him in his personal effects to give to me.  I am sure if he had any belief that they were not his to give, he would  have said so.

Your comment and attitude speaks greatly about your fraternal organization and you.

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Jurisdictions do things differently.  I'm not sure what MA does in regard to these items.  

In Utah, the Past Grand Master jewels are on loan to us and are to be returned at death.  Sadly, we don't do a good job of expressing that to those that have to deal with our effects.  They get dumped into boxes with all of the other Masonic "stuff" we collect over the years.  Sometimes that ends up in the garbage, handed off to other family members, on eBay or in pawn shops.  Occasionally they make their way back to G.L.

In some Jurisdictions these items are purchased directly by the member and are theirs to dispose of as they wish.  

A lot of Masonic items have no value to anyone else.  Just about everyone has a copy of Morals and Dogma.  If we kept every copy that was donated after a family member died that would be the entire library.

Some items, like a 14th Degree Scottish Rite ring are intended to go to your son or best friend, with the direction that they do not wear it unless they also join.
View Quote
As a 43 yr MA Mason, I can tell folks that the medals are property of the Lodge, paid for by the Lodge and are supposed to go back to the Lodge (or GL) when the recipient passes. I've never seen any paperwork given to the recipients specifying that, however.

I am about to affiliate with a NH Lodge and that Lodge just paid for a PM medal to be presented to the most recent PM. So NH seems to be the same way as MA in this regard.

My Masonic ring is rather unique and was paid for by me, so upon my passing it will be disposed of as part of my estate.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PSI:
This is an opportunity to remind everyone to have a Masonic Will. Let your family know where your stuff is, what it is and what to do with it.

I have my dad's things that he purchased or were presented to him as his to keep. They're things like his KYCH jewel and jewels from other honorary bodies, his Past Master and Knight Templar rings and his Past Master, Past High Priest, Past Thrice Illustrious Master aprons and Past Commander's jewel. I use all of them, except I gave our son his PTIM apron when he left the East.

My wife and kids know that my Past Grand High Priest and Past Most Illustrious Grand Master jewels go back to the grand office.
View Quote
Most family members don't have any idea. I had to explain this to my sister when we buried Dad. She had the funeral director cornered asking when did we did get back the apron he was wearing. The director is a Mason but I jumped in before he could answer and told her "That's his. We don't get it back because it doesn't get removed. We just get the box back. You'll have to do that same probably when I die." She said "what if you and Mom want to keep it?" I said it wasn't ours to keep. It was Dad's.  Finally made her understand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
In MA, the white plain apron you are initiated in is what you are buried in, not any fancier apron you might earn during the years in office. I was told that ours were lambskin. I've attended a degree here in NH and they wear a plain white cloth apron going thru the degrees, so this may differ in different jurisdictions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top