Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 6/14/2020 2:33:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tayous1]
I'm buying a house with land in Snake and hog county. I'm mostly worried about snakes and I feel a revolver would be the best option for my wife. Then she does not have to do an FTF drill with a semi-auto.

She has not shot that much but that is going to change because we can shot on our land. For the snakes, I have CCI pest control for right now going to roll my own later.

About her, she is small 5'2 120lbs but she is strong and has a strong grip she did wall rock climbing several times. What advice I'm looking for is this. Should I get her a double action or single action? 45LC or 357 mag?

I was going to go only with 357 mags but was told that a standard 45 LC hard cast can take a hog down. I'm not to keen on the Judge since it holds one less round. Yet if you can make a good argument for it I'd like to hear it!

We work opposite shifts and Monday night going to let her see what she likes better double action or single action. Yet still like a suggestion for both as if she likes the single action but the wheel gun that would be better is only in double-action she can always use it as a single action.

Edited to add: I cast and reload for 45 ACP will also do it for 45 LC. Can also do it for 357 mag.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lived in Texas 44 years and seen 3 rattlers. Two of those were in Big Bend Bend National
Park- in a camping area, not on a trail.

I carried a 10/22 or 9mm on the acreage for different kinds varmints. Never needed anything else.

Don’t overthink this. Survey your land for places where snakes could den. Don’t kill good snakes. Have neutered cats around to reduce small mammals that are snake food.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 3:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams] [#2]
get a judge with bird shot in it for snakes,  poisonous ones that is.   I caught a ribbon snake in the house the other day and took him out and let him go.  Crazy ass wife was freaking out when I picked it up with my hand.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 3:59:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tayous1] [#3]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Terlinguachili:
I have lived in Texas for 44 years and seen 3 rattlers. Two of those were in Big Bend Bend National
Park- in a camping area, not on a trail.

I carried a 10/22 or 9mm on the acreage for different kinds of varmints. I never needed anything else.

Don’t overthink this. Survey your land for places where snakes could den. Don’t kill good snakes. Have neutered cats around to reduce small mammals that are snake food.
View Quote

I'm going to have to teach my pups not to chase cats! I'm only three hours from Big Bend! I worked there for almost a year!

I asked because the land when I have been there I saw several snake skins and a 410 shell on the porch. I have 10 acres of land that has not been maintained! Not sure for how long but have 100 yards of nothing but Texas brush surrounding 50% of the land maybe 75%.

Also, there are a lot of empty plastic containers of snake away laying around the home! Since your another Texas person you should know the area near Sweetwater or Colorado City?

I have 10 acres that have not been taken care of for years! As most of it is just given to the land! With the skins and so on I know we have snakes and a lot! When I went out there to explore the land I ran into a few rattlesnakes providing me there warning!  Why I bought snake boots!

I have run into two rattlesnakes in the urban areas! The wife and I work opposite shifts. She does work to 0700 I work 0400 to 1200.

So when we are both off we walk out dogs in the neighborhood next to us. That is where we encountered the snakes!

So not I bought a home with land! Maybe not a ranch but 10 acres is a lot to me. This land has maybe 75% or more just mesquite and cactus and has not been maintaining for years!

We know the snakes are here! We want to protect ourselves from them! The first time we went to look at the home I saw ann empty 410 shells on the porch! To me, the evidence is that I'm in aaa worked as a Ranger in Big Bend for a year and only saw one rattlesnake. I logged over 100 miles of hikes. I was my rattlesnake after it shed it's skin and was hanging out were we put trash.

He/She let me know that they were in that area! If we were not about 20 feet apart the snake would have been dead! If I think of it if it would have been closer maybe I'd be dead?

In all, I know snakes are here! I know this land might have a nest! I'm wanting to protect my family!

Maybe find a good recipe for rattlesnake! Don't want to waste that meat!?

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tayous1] [#5]
Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
get a judge with bird shot in it for snakes,  poisonous ones that is.   I caught a ribbon snake in the house the other day and took him out and let him go.  Crazy ass wife was freaking out when I picked it up with my hand.
View Quote

Got to love Ribbon snakes! Tell me of it's true that they eat rattlesnake?

I was told that when I was a deputy in Terrell county so I avoid killing them!

I was also told they eat rattlesnake!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
50/50 on the calibers!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple of years ago, I remember talking to another couple at an indoor range.  I don't remember much of the conversation - except that the woman seemed ill at ease with learning how to use the gun her husband had picked out for her.

To me it seemed a bit like, "Here's your gun; now learn how to use it comfortably."

So instead of telling you what your wife should get... I say go out to ranges that have rentable firearms and get a feel for the firearms first.  Discuss the pros and cons of each model or calibre, even watch videos on performance.    But above all, it should be something that *she* wants and feels ready to handle.

A 38/357?  Maybe.  It's dead reliable after all.  Something a little heavier to absorb the recoil, or something lighter and easier to carry?

A compact or subcompact?  Might be easier on smaller hands, and some of the "mouse guns" are easy to shoot.

Maybe even a rifle that shoots pistol calibers.  That way you can keep one ammo on hand to feed multiple firearms.

Or heck how about a pistol that fires rifle rounds, which could be good in a vehicle.  And being full size it could mean plenty of rounds in each mag.

Actually... that's my own weird collection.  My first was a revolver (SP101, double action only).  I picked it out by testing the GP100 & the LCR at a range.  My second was the Sig 238 because of the size and it was a hell of a good sale on base.  The rifle was a Keltec sub-2000 (.40/Beretta) because I wanted a backpack rifle that was fast to reassemble.  And the last was my FN 5.7 because I wanted something for in the car in the city I work in & because it has 20-round mags standard.  

But for each of those it was for a specific task, and something I thought about for a long time.  My partner did influence me a little, but mostly just in discussing what I said above - the pros and cons of each.  And not everything he suggested was something I went with.  For example he thought I'd like the Ruger Mini-14 but when I finally got to hold one I didn't care for it much and dropped the idea.

So ... our advice will not matter as much as what she likes or feels comfortable with.  And if she's not sure where to start... again, renting, YT reviews etc.  Oh and when going to purchase, make sure it's a dealer that doesn't try to tell her what she wants; smart dealers don't do that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By geekz0r:
Oh and when going to purchase, make sure it's a dealer that doesn't try to tell her what she wants; smart dealers don't do that.
View Quote

She learned that the first time she went and bought a firearm without me the guy sold her a full size XDM 9mm when she was looking for a CCW pistol. She also learned not to go to gun shop without me.

We did go to a gun shop today and she got to hold a lot of different firearms she said she liked the double action better then the single action. She did take a liking to the Stainless steel Judge with a 3 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tayous1:

She learned that the first time she went and bought a firearm without me the guy sold her a full size XDM 9mm when she was looking for a CCW pistol. She also learned not to go to gun shop without me.

We did go to a gun shop today and she got to hold a lot of different firearms she said she liked the double action better then the single action. She did take a liking to the Stainless steel Judge with a 3 inch barrel.
View Quote

Snakes are about the only reason for the Judge to exist.  A couple .410 shot loads for snakes, and some .45LC in the other holes for other purposes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MattLarson:

Snakes are about the only reason for the Judge to exist.  A couple .410 shot loads for snakes, and some .45LC in the other holes for other purposes.
View Quote

I'm thinking I agree now 3 inch chamber cost more or 2 1/2 chamber?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top