Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
6/20/2024 12:30:23 PM EDT
Was looking at the current crop of Seiko GMTs that look just like a Rolex Hulk and Rolex Pepsi. How is the quality of the new Seikos? Gtg??
6/20/2024 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Recently picked up a couple 5 Sports and I'm really impressed with what you're getting at the price point. Seiko's Japanese movement's are top notch and used by many "micro-brands". You really can't go wrongs with any of the modern Seikos IMO.
6/20/2024 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My next watch will be the Seiko 5 sport GMT. The only thing holding back my purchase, is that I can't decide between the yellow and black models.

Attached File
Attached File

6/20/2024 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing that peeves me is the lack of a screw down crown. Otherwise, I too, and a Seiko fanboy. I would love a GMT turtle.
6/20/2024 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was looking at the current crop of Seiko GMTs that look just like a Rolex Hulk and Rolex Pepsi. How is the quality of the new Seikos? Gtg??
View Quote


Just make sure you are looking at actual Seiko watches. There are a lot of folks selling builds that have Seiko on the dial, but aren't made by Seiko.

Seiko:

Not a Seiko:  
6/21/2024 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My daily. Great watch for the price. Im rough on it as you can see.

6/21/2024 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
My daily. Great watch for the price. Im rough on it as you can see.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/320646/IMG_0942-3247257.jpg
View Quote
I just ordered the Yellow GMT. It will be my first Seiko, and first GMT. I've only seen good reviews besides a non screw down crown and non Sapphire crystal. I can live with that for $300. I'm looking forward to it!

What are your pros/cons?

Eta: OP, what "Hulk" are you referring to? There isn't a Green Seiko 5 Sport GMT. And the "Pepsi" is not on the bezel. It's on the chapter ring as posted above.
6/21/2024 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
No cons. I have many Seikos and I understand what they are and at the price point, it does what I expect.
6/22/2024 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Seiko gmt rootbeer clone. I’d be happy to mail it to you and let you try it. I find I don’t love the cyclops like I thought I would.

Attached File
6/22/2024 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
I have a Seiko gmt rootbeer clone. I’d be happy to mail it to you and let you try it. I find I don’t love the cyclops like I thought I would.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/IMG_7149_jpeg-3248259.JPG
View Quote


Cyclops come off with a little heat. Hit it with a soldering iron for 15-20 sec, then gently pry it away with a utility knife.
6/23/2024 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
What online store do you like for real Seikos ?
6/23/2024 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:
What online store do you like for real Seikos ?
View Quote


Many folks have had good luck with jomashop.com  They are gray market, but usually have sales/discounts/coupons going on.
6/23/2024 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered this Turtle from Amazon

It has a screw down crown, automatic, several different aftermarket Sapphire crystals and appears plenty of support for service.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SMRZVSM?tag=arfcom00-20
6/23/2024 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the old Seikos
6/25/2024 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
My Seiko SKX0017 came today. First Seiko and first GMT.

Attached File
Attached File
Attached File

6/25/2024 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Been wearing one regularly for a little while now, a bit thick but really happy with it.


7/21/2024 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Quoted:
What online store do you like for real Seikos ?
View Quote

https://teddybaldassarre.com/collections/seiko
7/22/2024 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
PX special:

Attached File
8/12/2024 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been wearing Seikos for decades!

Attached File


Micro brand using the same Seiko movement.

Attached File

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In