Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2019 9:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BeNotAfraid]

plus, the old SMASH 'n SLASH:

The 12 Ga Riot-gun & The Bayonet

the good 'ole 12 bore eats many flavors:

...American Partisan...your good friend....
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
yup, they are definately useful.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]
portal is open
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:44:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironmaker] [#5]
With a bayonet!!

Me this past weekend, I won this stage:

ETA: I HATE the term "shottie"  How f'in hard is it to say or type "shotgun"  
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
that is some fine shooting!  good job
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Shotguns are pretty excellent for defense

Against winged assailants.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Heavy gun, extremely heavy ammo, low capacity and slow reload time. Whats not to love in a zombie apocalypse...
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dace:
Heavy gun, extremely heavy ammo, low capacity and slow reload time. Whats not to love in a zombie apocalypse...
View Quote
Within the realistic, legal, and practical application of self defense, shotguns are amazing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
In.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By echo_5:
Within the realistic, legal, and practical application of self defense, shotguns are amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
In the real world yes.  In Zombie Central they are a terrible choice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
In season 3 or 4 of the Walking Dead, there was a notorious scene when the zombies infiltrated the farm and Hershel had a pump shotgun and just kept blasting and blasting, never running out of ammo.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Also, I have shot a lot of tactical shotgun matches in my life, see my youtube channel and new shooters run out of ammo much faster than they realize, one has to continually stuff shells into the shotgun.

Lot's of tactical shotgun videos:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJh8c0YB4iFGTXWvqO_E8sQ

One of my favorites:

Francis Marion Shotgun Match 2012 - Dry Land
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Why is he holding a rifle in the left hand?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
Also, I have shot a lot of tactical shotgun matches in my life, see my youtube channel and new shooters run out of ammo much faster than they realize, one has to continually stuff shells into the shotgun.

Lot's of tactical shotgun videos:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJh8c0YB4iFGTXWvqO_E8sQ

One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ggQc8Hop0
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ggQc8Hop0
People who say they are bad for home defense are just ignorant.  They are just fine for home defense.

But for Zombies?  Terrible choice.

I also seat short stroking a lot with people who are in time constraints and pressure with a pump action.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My 870P with Vang comp enhancements loaded with Fed Tac 00buck, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be on the business end of it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#17]
oh boy here we go again.

Tl;dr - shotguns work, carbines work better. With the exception of birds there's nothing a shotgun does that something else doesn't do better. They're largely old tech with objective flaws and failures in comparison to rifles that live on because of their price for versatility, and fuddlore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By StraightMiataMan:
oh boy here we go again.

Tl;dr - shotguns work, carbines work better. With the exception of birds there's nothing a shotgun does that something else doesn't do better. They're largely old tech with objective flaws and failures in comparison to rifles that live on because of their price for versatility, and fuddlore.
View Quote
In a Zombie Apocalypse *hint this forum* they suck because of the reasons already described.  So, no, they don't work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#19]
oh boy here we go again.

View Quote
Sigh. I know. But I still have a terrible urge to buy a nice beatup blue/walnut police trade-in to mount just above the inside of the hall closet door. I know there are better options, but I just WANT to.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Why is he holding a rifle in the left hand?
View Quote
He just killed the bad guy that was holding it from across the room with a single blast of #8 birdshot. (Cause that's all you really need).  Didn't even need to aim.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JohnStoner:

View Quote
And there's the ignorance.
Shotguns have been in use by Military's since they were developed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cletussd:

View Quote
So have black powder, lever guns and six shooters. Doesnt make em a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess OP has a point.

You gotta figure, shotshells are heavy, so people can only carry so many of them.
It also sucks to reload, and even people who practice a lot often drop shells under stress.
The gun also runs dry very fast and is slow to reload, so a bunch of people will probably get killed before they can shoot all their ammo.

Considering that, there should be plentiful ammo all over the place, really.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By d16man:
My shotgun is easy to grab also.  But please don't call it a shottie, that's just stupid.
View Quote
I hate the expression! Easier to just simply say shotgun and everyone knows what you're referring to!
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#26]
So have black powder, lever guns and six shooters. Doesnt make em a good choice.
View All Quotes

Does the Military still use Black Powder,Lever Action or 6 Shooters?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:35:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sakura] [#27]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#28]
In a true SHTF situation I think 22 LR will be your friend.  You can carry lots of ammo, it's relatively quiet, it's everywhere, and when the game laws are gone you can kill anything found in North America w/ it if you place your shot correctly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnStoner] [#29]
Does the Military still use Black Powder,Lever Action or 6 Shooters?
View Quote
No they, like most less effective weapons, were phased out.

In favor of better performing, higher capacity, faster weapons. Weapons that utilize ammunition with better ballistic properties, lighter weight, high carrying quantity etc. Maybe faster to reload too.

Something something shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Aaaand pretty much anything else you want to make suddenly dead at closer ranges.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By d16man:
My shotgun is easy to grab also.  But please don't call it a shottie, that's just stupid.
View Quote
This... In Spades...
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
In a true SHTF situation I think 22 LR will be your friend.  You can carry lots of ammo, it's relatively quiet, it's everywhere, and when the game laws are gone you can kill anything found in North America w/ it if you place your shot correctly.
View Quote
If it is Walking Dead - slow Zombie then a suppressed .22LR semi-auto will be the perfect gun to quietly head shoot the Walking Dead and pick them off dead and carry a couple thousand rounds of .22LR ammo without a hernia (like carrying a 1,000 of 12 gauge or 30.06

If they are the fast moving run you down & eat you dead of "Dawn of the Dead" then a shotgun to make "head canoes" is my choice...
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

And that proves exactly what?

Shotguns are a mediocre weapon in all but a very limited set of circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Shotguns are good for a lot of things. But, I have to agree with the forum. This is a good time
to think about AOW though. The shorter profile will allow you to keep them as a backup weapon,
breaching tool, and can stop a suicidal terrorist with one shot to the head. But as a primary?

Pistol Carbine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Need to get mine put back together.  Magazine fed master race!

Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Get both

Beretta 1301 tac with fed 00 buck
11.5 BCM pistol with fed fusion
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:19:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ban-hater] [#37]
Is a belt fed shotgun possible, or has it been done before?

Yes, yes it has.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Look at a cardboard box of 12 ga buckshot (25 rounds). How many rounds of 5.56 will fit in the same space?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
Look at a cardboard box of 12 ga buckshot (25 rounds). How many rounds of 5.56 will fit in the same space?
View Quote
How much 22 LR will fit in the same box?
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
Oh shit, you got me good.  Imagine all the 22 shotshells you can devastate me with.

Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#41]
If I were to step into the world of TWD, I would want a Ruger 10/22 with a 3x9 scope. And I sure wouldn’t stay along the eastern seaboard where so many zombies would be. I’d cross the Ole Miss and try to live a boring life.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Every time there is a scene in a zombie show or movie where the protagonists have the high ground but are surrounded by zombies, or when they need to "clear" an area overrun by the dead, I think to myself that a suppressed 10/22 with a red dot would be perfect. With good shot placement and a few hundred rounds of ammo in your pocket, you could be a zombie horde's worst nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#44]
oh boy here we go again.

View Quote
Literally LOL’ed at “fuddlore.”
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I like to use Mexico and the cartel shootoit leftovers for examples of what works and doesn't in shtf.

Can't say I've seen any shootout leftovers using shotguns.

Too long to use in a car, reloading is long, range is at best 75 yards with flight control rounds.

I've got one but its really a specific use kinda weapon.

If I was staging last defense kinda thing a tube full of slug and buck would be devastating but again I'd still take a 30 round mag of 5.56 over that.

A bear charging me however...........
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Fuchi:
I like to use Mexico and the cartel shootoit leftovers for examples of what works and doesn't in shtf.

Too long to use in a car, reloading is long, range is at best 75 yards with flight control rounds.

If I was staging last defense kinda thing a tube full of slug and buck would be devastating but again I'd still take a 30 round mag of 5.56 over that.

View Quote

You just brought back a thread that is over one year old.

Seems appropriate for the zombie forum.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#47]
For the price of a shotgun, and the price of ammo right now, it isn't a bad idea as a home defense weapon, but, realistically, given the size of the crowds I see going down the street, it wouldn't be my first choice if I was alone. Hard to keep fed, and hard to get on target vs. a much lighter weapon, like a carbine, or a pistol variant, the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze.

It will however, for the most part, incapacitate someone almost immediately. It will shut down the computer if that's what's needed. But first choice of weapon, naturally, would be the carbine, with a lot of ammo. Of course, it's all relative anyway. Against armor, or drones, or anything else even remotely significant, you'll probably end up feeling you might as well have a cap gun for as much effect on target as you are having. Yeah, an Ar 15 can be an equalizer against multiple assailants, but, at the same time, can be about as worthless as tits on a bull if what you're facing is bringing anything remotely resembling ass.

it's all relative. A shotgun can decisively end a fight. A small one. With a limited number of protagonists. Anything more than that, and you're going to wish for something bigger. Heck, everyone wishes for something bigger. An AR might not cut it if a 240 is clearly called for. On and on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
Originally Posted By Fuchi:

To be honest I don't read this forum too often.

Maybe many don't it would seem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#49]
might be the only ammo left at least in my AO for that matter 28 gauge anyone?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Skinny Italian ladies are where it’s at.

They kill with their hot looks.

DSC_1669-M2 Barrel Billboard by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top