Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
Yesterday 9:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath][Edited]
BBQ bosses, what do you say?

I will be cooking it in a pellet grill, recipes are appreciated as well…
Pone semina in fundas ut aliquid crescat ubi morieris.
WE SEEK NOT YOUR COUNSEL, NOR YOUR ARMS
Yesterday 9:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat][Edited] [#1]
I normally do. But I've not done it just to see and just scored it. No issues of any kind.
Yesterday 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
How are you cooking them ?

Short answer: yes, you should.
Yesterday 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I say yes unless it's so thin that it constantly tears apart from using the dry paper towel to grab technique.
Yesterday 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Have to, No.  Should you, I'll let the experts answer.  I've been cooking them for 40+ years and don't.  I'm sure to be told I'm wrong.
Yesterday 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes

Some people leave it.

Some people cut slits into it.

They're lazy and F-ed in the head.

Remove. It's a little bit of a pain, but not much and well worth it. Anyone who disagrees is rationalizing and sucks.
"Positive rights" are neither.

Busy leaving people the F alone.
Yesterday 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I do.  Not that hard if you use a paper towel for grip.Attached File
If life was easy nobody would quit.
Yesterday 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I do.  I believe it helps the rub penetrate better from the bone side.

How much, IDK, nor do I know if it makes a difference.  It's how I do it, and no one complains when I cook 'em.
Yesterday 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Try it both ways and come to your own conclusion.

 I normally do. But I rarely smoke ribs these days.  It's a lot of bother for a little bit of meat and I hate paying for bones.  I just stick to butts when it comes to pork.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it..
Yesterday 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't typically for grilling. I have done my best to remove when smoking to insure the smoke penetrates even on both sides. I don't really know if it makes any difference or not.
Yesterday 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
No, you don't need to, but I usually make the effort.
Yesterday 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I try, until it pisses me off, then I don't.
If it peels off easily enough, but i give up quick.
I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."
Yesterday 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t, and I don’t think it really matters if you do the rest of the process correctly. If inclined just score and season.
"George said "TAX? Fuck that, I THE FUCKING MAN!" Then took a bunch of shots of the whiskey he made himself and shot King George in the goddamned face." -RustedAce
Yesterday 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It's so easy, there's no reason not to.  Grab it with a paper towel for a good grip, and rip it off.
Yesterday 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
It's personal preference. I take it off and toss it to the dog. I have a friend that leaves it on. His ribs are very good.

If you remove it, catfish skinning pliers work very well. I get it started with a knife and use a paper towel to pull it.
Yesterday 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
You really don't have to, but I always do - it's simple and it lets any back side rub hit the meat.
“There is no sound, no voice, no cry in all the world that can be heard... until someone listens.”

"The only easy day was yesterday"
Yesterday 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I was unaware, for the longest time. Once I was shown, a few years back - Now I always pull them right off with a pair of pliers. Easie Peasie.

It's so easy to do, why would you leave it on?

- I smoke my ribs -  BTW

Low and slow, fall apart tender, bone will usually slip right out. (I've been meaning to do a batch. May have to fire that Mastercraft up.)
Yesterday 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
i usually do but i don't think most people could even tell the difference either way. it's gonna get broken down at that temperature anyways.
Yesterday 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ORjeepguy:
I try, until it pisses me off, then I don't.
If it peels off easily enough, but i give up quick.
View Quote


It comes off easier when the meat is very cold.
Yesterday 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#19]
It takes 5 seconds with a butter knife and a couple of paper towels so I always remove it. I have done it without, and it didn't make much of a difference to me.
Yesterday 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I've removed it, and left it on. Never noticed a difference.  I quit removing it. Just make sure and slather in mustard!
Yesterday 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Originally Posted By BobRoberts:
I don’t, and I don’t think it really matters if you do the rest of the process correctly. If inclined just score and season.
View Quote


I don't think that OP was asking about cooking in the Crock Pot.  
"Positive rights" are neither.

Busy leaving people the F alone.
Yesterday 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]
No just score it with a sharp knife, in an X pattern. No problem. I have bought and built all kinds of tools to remove this and nothing is foolproof so score it and you score!
I don’t want unity. I want them defeated and subjugated, and I never want them to be a threat to me or my people ever again. - J. Grey
Yesterday 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Originally Posted By TriggerM:
I've removed it, and left it on. Never noticed a difference.  I quit removing it. Just make sure and slather in mustard!
View Quote


there's not much meat on the back, so its not like you really get any benefit from it anyways. not much upside to having your rub mostly on the bones.
Yesterday 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Just realized. Many of you are using pellet smokers and Crock Pots.  Carry on.
"Positive rights" are neither.

Busy leaving people the F alone.
Yesterday 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
Just realized. Many of you are using pellet smokers and Crock Pots.  Carry on.
View Quote


What’s wrong with a pellet smoker?
Pone semina in fundas ut aliquid crescat ubi morieris.
WE SEEK NOT YOUR COUNSEL, NOR YOUR ARMS
Yesterday 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Pork obviously.  Beef obviously not.
Yesterday 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.  Not difficult with the proper technique.
Yesterday 10:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vaquero45][Edited] [#28]
If I’m smoking the whole rack…yes.

If I’m smoking “party ribs”…no.

Both ways they turn out great.

Attached File
Yesterday 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I smoked ribs for years and never did.  I assumed everyone left them on.  I just thought that was part of the texture of eating ribs until I entered some competitions with my dad and discovered that it’s pretty much expected to remove it.  

I never noticed much of a flavor difference with or without membrane.  Mostly a texture thing.  Some people like it.  Some people prefer it off.
Yesterday 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I have taken it off and not done so....makes no difference over all! I don't cook for competition, so I no longer pull it off over all.
Yesterday 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#31]
A lot of rib places don't. But, I always have, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. It doesn't seem as though it lets them dry out or something.
Always blame autocorrect.
Yesterday 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bigtwin:
I have taken it off and not done so....makes no difference over all! I don't cook for competition, so I no longer pull it off over all.
View Quote


i doubt the judges could tell if they were blindfolded either.
Yesterday 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Try it both ways and come to your own conclusion.

 I normally do. But I rarely smoke ribs these days.  It's a lot of bother for a little bit of meat and I hate paying for bones.  I just stick to butts when it comes to pork.
View Quote
This is a good point. It wasn't that long ago that you could get a rack for 6 or 8 bucks. I don't agree that it tastes just the same as pulled pork. But they're two different things. Ribs are about the rub or sauce. Pulled pork can be amazing. It doesn't need barbecue, sometimes vinegar sauce is good. Sometimes a mustard base sauce is good. Sometimes no sauce. They each have their place.
Always blame autocorrect.
Yesterday 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I always try and fail more than half the time.  The stuff tears and rips and comes off in little pieces.  I believe that when people make videos showing how to do it, they specifically pick a slab that they can tell has a thick membrane.  Either that, or they only post the video where it actually comes off after who knows how many failures.
Yesterday 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#35]
You don’t have to but i always recommend it. I’ve been on a good luck streak with Costco lately with all my baby’s backs coming with the membrane already removed. Cooked 6 slabs yesterday.

Attached File
Yesterday 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Originally Posted By glock27bill:
I always try and fail more than half the time.  The stuff tears and rips and comes off in little pieces.  I believe that when people make videos showing how to do it, they specifically pick a slab that they can tell has a thick membrane.  Either that, or they only post the video where it actually comes off after who knows how many failures.
View Quote

ive never picked them based on membrane, and they have always come off fine, sometimes i may take two pulls on it. I always start on the first rib at the widest end
Yesterday 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]
It helps with St. Louis cut


Not needed with baby back.  
Yesterday 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Only beef here.

For smoking a whole slab of short ribs to make Fred Flintstone Dino-pops, I absolutely do remove the silver skin.

For long-boned BBQ beef spare ribs that get partially smoker'ed and then finished on a hot BBQ grille, I leave the silver skin backing on because I like the crumbly burnt papery vellum texture.  Also because it's had as hell to tear off because it really only tears off in fragments even if you think you know some kind of magic trick to remove it.
Yesterday 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
Just realized. Many of you are using pellet smokers and Crock Pots.  Carry on.
View Quote

I cook mine in the crock pot and the people who eat them think they came from a smoker
Yesterday 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#40]
"I may crossdress but I don't dress like a whore" - LittlePony

"I don't mind some dong" - Rustynutzz
Yesterday 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I prefer to simply for adherence of seasoning.
Yesterday 11:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glock27bill][Edited] [#42]
Quote History
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
View Quote


Today 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Joe_Blacke:
I prefer to simply for adherence of seasoning.
View Quote


adherence to what? bone? there probably isnt even really any benefit to seasoning the bottom of ribs.
Today 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I remove as much as I can without wasting too much time on it. If some bits are left, that's fine.
Don't forget about the Trail of Beers Happy Hour!
Today 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Unsure if you absolutely have to.  

I’ve always removed it.  Quite easy to do.

Then get a large foil pan.

Apply your seasoning of choice.

Apply mustard (trust me)

Reapply seasoning.  

Insert into fridge overnight

Get up next day and smoke your ribs.
Today 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I remove it probably 80% of the time.

If you’re cooking for yourself or at home, it’s not that big of a deal.

Only in competitions is it really a dealbreaker to leave the membrane on.
Today 12:28:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys][Edited] [#47]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bophades45:
I remove it probably 80% of the time.

If you’re cooking for yourself or at home, it’s not that big of a deal.

Only in competitions is it really a dealbreaker to leave the membrane on.
View Quote


Competition ribs cater to what the judges want not necessarily what people like.

Today 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#48]
That membrane comes off real easy after a short boil, before the longer boil.
Today 1:59:37 AM EDT
[#49]
I prefer to not eat the membrane.
I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.
No rules today, sport…just orders.
It’s not about how many people you kill, it’s about how many you save.
Today 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes. I remove it.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page