Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2023 4:21:56 PM EDT
What I’m thinking of is as the Subject line says.

Providing a list of references that would be submitted to the Local CLEO and/or the FFL where the purchase takes place.
This list of references should include in priority:
Those listed will only be listed by Drivers License # and Contact phone #

(1) List a relative, Grandparent, Parent, Sibling, Uncle, Cousin
(2) Spouse or Significant other
(3) Friend(s)
(4) Co-workers
(5) Any other persons that can attest to your intent to purchase a firearm

*** For states that still have the CCW process, CCW holders being excepted***

This way the FFL can make a phone call to any ONE person listed or more if they choose, of THEIR choice, that can attest to any reason that' this person should not be allowed to purchase said firearm.

The he/she/it that committed the murders in Nashville reportedly notified a friend of her intentions. This has happened enough in the past where people knew about the murderers state of mind.

Obviously, you wouldn’t list someone you’d have a grievance with or you know their political stance.
- I wouldn’t list my own mother, because of her political views cloud any real reasoning, even though she knows I wouldn’t dream of harming anyone unless they tried to seriously harm someone I care about or myself.
- Father, no problem(yes they’re still married to each other)
-Brothers and sisters, no issue there
-Wife of 23 years - Ultimately no problem, but those of you that are married know how that can go, lol
-Friends - No problem
-Co-workers

What problems does anyone foresee with this?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop thinking, and post less.

No, no more laws. They don't work. and they can't work. And, they are all unconstitutional. Repeal them all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I couldn’t agree more about repealing all the laws that have no effect in reducing crime and infringe on rights.  

As to your comment of “Stop thinking and post less” - you’re acting like a jerk.
If we as gun owners, stop thinking of ways to end the violence committed by a bunch of insane a$$holes, then that’s what you and the rest of us gun owners get is a bunch of stupid laws that have little to no affect at reducing crime. You’re really gonna leave that up to our elected politicians to implement “Red Flag laws” that circumvent due process? Think it through.

What I was suggesting is strictly left up to the firearm purchaser. Only the purchaser can provide sources that will know whether they’re a nut-case or not. At anytime that list needs to be amended, it’s up to the purchaser to amend it. If you divorce, have an argument with a friend or believe someone on your list will act out of spite, rather than someone with honest intimate knowledge of the purchaser.

If you don’t have anything of value to add, whether it’s pro or con, then go pound sand somewhere else and leave it to the adults in the room.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Log out
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You should probably just forget you ever posted and just leave.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By montanabound:
I couldn’t agree more about repealing all the laws that have no effect in reducing crime and infringe on rights.  

As to your comment of “Stop thinking and post less” - you’re acting like a jerk.
If we as gun owners, stop thinking of ways to end the violence committed by a bunch of insane a$$holes, then that’s what you and the rest of us gun owners get is a bunch of stupid laws that have little to no affect at reducing crime. You’re really gonna leave that up to our elected politicians to implement “Red Flag laws” that circumvent due process? Think it through.

What I was suggesting is strictly left up to the firearm purchaser. Only the purchaser can provide sources that will know whether they’re a nut-case or not. At anytime that list needs to be amended, it’s up to the purchaser to amend it. If you divorce, have an argument with a friend or believe someone on your list will act out of spite, rather than someone with honest intimate knowledge of the purchaser.

If you don’t have anything of value to add, whether it’s pro or con, then go pound sand somewhere else and leave it to the adults in the room.
View Quote

Your idea is terrible. It’s so unbelievably stupid I’m not sure what more there is to discuss.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_314] [#6]
Bad idea.  

Why not not just require a psychiatrist's sign off.  Or some other egregious infringement of our rights.  

Or the .gov could even prosecute criminals.  That would be a refreshing change.  

Or elected officials could stop trying to convince trannys and other wackos the rest of us are out to get them.

In case you missed it, that's a very bad idea.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
This is pathetic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
You've been a member for almost 13 years, have less than 10 posts & this is the crap you decide to start a thread about...  
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
We don't need more complicated laws. Only good guys follow laws.
We need more guns allowed where they currently are not, so we can put down lawbreakers who use them for bad.

OP should just forget you ever posted this and go study up on freedom and such.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
OP,

I have had and mentioned similar ideas in the past and also got negative responses from people who like to be critical but can't offer up better ideas to save their lives. What you are suggesting is sort of replacing government regulations with industry self regulating factors if I am reading you right. It's not un constitutional because it would all be done by private business. Yes this would be better then the current system.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
This is pathetic.
View Quote

IT'S BETTER than just accepting the slow decline we are in for gun rights. SOMEONE is thinking outside the box. Quick, crucify him!
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
What the fucks wrong with you? More laws won't work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Liberal troll..got ta be ?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:38:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#14]
Originally Posted By THE_RESISTER:

OP,

I have had and mentioned similar ideas in the past and also got negative responses from people who like to be critical but can't offer up better ideas to save their lives. What you are suggesting is sort of replacing government regulations with industry self regulating factors if I am reading you right. It's not un constitutional because it would all be done by private business. Yes this would be better then the current system.
View Quote

The current system,  where fudds continue to prop up Wayne and his Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom style African hunts and lavish lifestyle while constantly losing ground on gun rights. Where the gun industry was responsible for $80.73 billion of economic activity in 2022 but we, as a group of consumers,  can't manage to draw a cohesive line in the sand with our political leaders when it comes to protecting our 2nd amendment rights.

Let's face it, the typical American gun owner is as good at self advocacy as they are at training... they talk about "The Dicken" and "Dot Torture" on the internet but don't fire more than 50 rounds of ammunition a month because they are too cheap and unmotivated to train. Similarly, they bitch about their gun rights on ARFCOM but do little more than vote every 4 years to protect them.

Edit: for clarity, I'm agreeing with you and adding supportive reasoning behind the state of affairs. Sometimes when I do this it seems like I'm arguing against whomever I'm quoting.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Here are some issues just off the top.

The purchase should be a private transaction, between buyer and seller. Involving other people brings in, among other potential concerns, issues of privacy; it's nobody else's business. Involving coworkers in a process like this is unprofessional at the very least.

As suggested it also brings in the possibility of fraud. Unless you are expecting the FFL (or other seller) to do a background check on the references provided, in which case there are more privacy concerns etc.

Finally, this implicitly requires the purchaser to have a family, or friends for that matter.  This requirement as it stands penalizes people who are new to an area, or are just loners, and is a feature ripe for abuse by the government.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
OP have some balls. Let me spell it out really clear for you.

GOD gave us our rights! Not man.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By THE_RESISTER:

IT'S BETTER than just accepting the slow decline we are in for gun rights. SOMEONE is thinking outside the box. Quick, crucify him!
View Quote

Yeah, more hoops to jump through definitely stops the 'decline in gun rights.'

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:
Log out
View Quote

Looks like he did.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SpankMonkey:
OP have some balls. Let me spell it out really clear for you.

GOD gave us our rights! Not man.
View Quote

While you are 100% correct you are failing to see the reality of the dire situation we are in. Stating it's our right till we are blue in the face will do nothing to turn the tide. The details can be worked out but  first there must be a will to visit the idea.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

Yeah, more hoops to jump through definitely stops the 'decline in gun rights.'

View Quote

Let's hear your better idea and plan.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#21]
What I’m thinking of is as the Subject line says.

Providing a list of references that would be submitted to the Local CLEO and/or the FFL where the purchase takes place.
This list of references should include in priority:
Those listed will only be listed by Drivers License # and Contact phone #

(1) List a relative, Grandparent, Parent, Sibling, Uncle, Cousin
(2) Spouse or Significant other
(3) Friend(s)
(4) Co-workers
(5) Any other persons that can attest to your intent to purchase a firearm

*** For states that still have the CCW process, CCW holders being excepted***

This way the FFL can make a phone call to any ONE person listed or more if they choose, of THEIR choice, that can attest to any reason that' this person should not be allowed to purchase said firearm.

The he/she/it that committed the murders in Nashville reportedly notified a friend of her intentions. This has happened enough in the past where people knew about the murderers state of mind.

Obviously, you wouldn’t list someone you’d have a grievance with or you know their political stance.
- I wouldn’t list my own mother, because of her political views cloud any real reasoning, even though she knows I wouldn’t dream of harming anyone unless they tried to seriously harm someone I care about or myself.
- Father, no problem(yes they’re still married to each other)
-Brothers and sisters, no issue there
-Wife of 23 years - Ultimately no problem, but those of you that are married know how that can go, lol
-Friends - No problem
-Co-workers

What problems does anyone foresee with this?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#22]
No.  That is a horrible idea.

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Why should my rights depend on the approval of someone else?

Isn’t that antithetical to the concept of a right?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

There’s definitely someone acting like a jerk here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CatfishHunter:
You've been a member for almost 13 years, have less than 10 posts & this is the crap you decide to start a thread about...  
View Quote

I vote sleeper account. We’ll see what kinds of things he says during next year’s elections.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]
The accused alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer had a Nassau County pistol license.  They require multiple references for said permit.

Pretty sure he went through the process more than once.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top