Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2011 12:08:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 12:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lovelessk999] [#1]
I tend to buy discontinued Kitchen Aid from Tuesday Mornings.

I have never found one I love.

If I settle down into a house I love:

Mauviel Set

Copper cookware:

The last part of the cooking equation that needs to be considered is
how the heat gets from the outside of the vessel to the inside. through different metals at different rates. The common metals used in
pots — copper, aluminum, stainless steel, iron, steel — all have
different rates of heat transfer. The quickest (best?) heat transfer is
through copper. The rate of transfer decreases in speed with aluminum
being the next fastest and the iron-based metals the slowest. The rate
of transfer is also a function of material thickness. As logic would
dictate, the thinner the material, the faster heat will transfer through
it. But if too thin, there will be hot spots produced by the uneven
application of heat by the burner. The ideal vessel combines a thick
enough wall with a fast enough heat transfer to cook evenly and with
appropriate speed.

Link

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Calphalon for regular usage.

Cleans up with green scuffpads.

Calphalon non-stick omelet and saute pans.

Cleans up inside with blue scuffpad/sponges.

For sale at Mothers Day Sales every year at disposable prices.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Swiss Diamond

easily my favorites
I have all-clad, kitchen aid (clad), various others....
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lovelessk999:
I tend to buy discontinued Kitchen Aid from Tuesday Mornings.

I have never found one I love.

If I settle down into a house I love:

Mauviel Set

Copper cookware:

The last part of the cooking equation that needs to be considered is how the heat gets from the outside of the vessel to the inside. through different metals at different rates. The common metals used in pots — copper, aluminum, stainless steel, iron, steel — all have different rates of heat transfer. The quickest (best?) heat transfer is through copper. The rate of transfer decreases in speed with aluminum being the next fastest and the iron-based metals the slowest. The rate of transfer is also a function of material thickness. As logic would dictate, the thinner the material, the faster heat will transfer through it. But if too thin, there will be hot spots produced by the uneven application of heat by the burner. The ideal vessel combines a thick enough wall with a fast enough heat transfer to cook evenly and with appropriate speed.

Link

JESUCRISTO!  MY FIRST HOUSE DIDN'T COST THAT MUCH!  

that being said, i'm pretty happy with clad and cast iron, as well as a couple 'o Zhukov's sam's club saute' pans.  

-tom
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I personally think All Clad are the best of the best but they're expensive as hell. I was talking to my 19 yr old daughter and she said TJ Max frequently has them.. So I checked them out and got a $235 pan for $60. Also check out Bed Bath and Beyond. I've got a few slightly dented Emeril pans for 60% off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I use cast iron & am currently looking for the Granite Ware pots for the smaller pieces of my cookware. Simple & universal.

I had bought T-Fal years ago & the teflon coating started coming off recently, so I threw them out & got the cast iron.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have health Craft.  All SS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll second the Health Craft. They are made by Vita Craft in Shawnee, Ks. and I bought mine at the outlet store there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#15]
go to a restaurant supply and get eagleware or the equivalent. with proper care they will last you for as long as you're cooking. shop around as different stores will price them differently. the pans you get at sam's are ok,too. i don't use teflon-coated pans, as i don't like the thought of having microscopic pics of teflon in my food. ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Tfal SS. I won't use anything else. Heats evenly, cleans up quick and can really take a beating. I've even thrown one into a 450* oven before with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By thebomber:
I personally think All Clad are the best of the best but they're expensive as hell. I was talking to my 19 yr old daughter and she said TJ Max frequently has them.. So I checked them out and got a $235 pan for $60. Also check out Bed Bath and Beyond. I've got a few slightly dented Emeril pans for 60% off.

I got a fair amount of All-clad skillets and pots as wedding gifts.  They have worked great so far.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Allclad Copper Core if you can afford it, or used cast iron.

Forget nonstick. Learn how to use a metal pan.

Th Coper Core is the best commonly availble in the US, but if you're a hard-head or are seriously on a budget, get used cast iron. Clean them well and then season them well and learn how to cook with them. It doesn't get better, but it does get easier with the Copper Core option above.

The intermediate steps are not worth the delta in money over the cast iron, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rwilkins01:
go to a restaurant supply and get eagleware or the equivalent. with proper care they will last you for as long as you're cooking. shop around as different stores will price them differently. the pans you get at sam's are ok,too. i don't use teflon-coated pans, as i don't like the thought of having microscopic pics of teflon in my food. ymmv.

This. Exactly. I could not have said it better. You might be surprised how cheap some stuff is at the local restaurant supply house. Sam's pans are a good second. I occasionally use good ole Lodge Cast Iron. Depends on the dish.  

When I was younger, I used a Revere Ware set (copper bottom) from my Grandmother and Mother, probably from the '50s. They do cook well, and are very responsive, I have kept them all. I still use the big Dutch Oven, but find that the skillets need too much oil for my tastes and health to work well.

I am currently on a diet that allows no fat at all. I use the non-stick skillets from Sam's to pan fry my chicken, beef and fish dry (no oil). Saute onions with a little water. It does work. Lost 17 pounds so far.

I would go for these "better value" pans and plan to replace them every decade or so. Although, I do have a hard time throwing any pan out in the trash.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By krpind:
I bought the Calphalon 10 piece box set. It was $599, but I had a 20% off coupon that sold me on the box set. $480 was a good deal I felt.

The pans are both different. One is slide nonstick and the other is sear non-stick.

I used the sear to blacken salmon tonight. It was great. I think I'll try some eggs on the slide pan tomorrow.

The pots are great too. I think I might get another 3 qt pot, and I'll be set for most of my cooking for my small family.

I have Calphalon ones too and love them.  I would agree though with the previous post that says don't buy boxed sets.  That's true for my needs especially since there are only two of us in the household and the boxed sets tend to be bigger in size than what we need for most meals.  I own the Calphalon Panini Pan and LOVE it.

You got a good deal on your set though!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

All-Clad are American-made.  
Martha Stewart uses them I believe.

Great set.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#23]
  I use cast iron & am currently looking for the Granite Ware pots for the smaller pieces of my cookware. Simple & universal. 

I had bought T-Fal years ago & the teflon coating started coming off recently, so I threw them out & got the cast iron.

I've also used varous brands of " Teflon Coated " cookware over the years ,.. some very high end $$..

I'm now building a small collection of cast iron (Griswold/ Wagner/Lodge) & tend to reach for them more often !!

Cleaned & Reseasoned

# 3 / # 5 / #8 / # 9 / Skillets are the most useful , along with a few # 8 / # 10 Dutch Ovens .

Breakfast Sandwich

FLAN

Waffles

Cast Iron Fryer

Backyard/Outdoor Cooking. with a #14 Skillet,  on BBQ Grill

Camping

Might be " Old School " non-stck technology , but still very , very functional !

How many of you cooking on " 50-100 yr old " non-stick pots & pans ... ?

PAPI
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Calphalon One here.

You can get seconds at the outlets for 70% off. Can't even tell where they were dented or scratched on 4 of the 5 I have and the one that you can see it is minor. Still have a lifetime warranty too.

$195 10" skillet for $43 is not too bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top