Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2022 3:39:30 PM EDT
Looking for a light for day/night Keys diving.

- to look under reef overhangs during the daytime for those hiding groupers, etc
- bright (>500 lumens)
- good run-time - like an hour before the lumes start dropping off
- uses commonly available batteries that I can find at Publix, etc. (C's, CR123A's, etc)
- small/compact - something I can clip to my BP/W and it stays out of the way and doesn't drag on the bottom

Was thinking along the lines/dimensions/performance/cost of the DGX 600, but it has wonky batteries (21700s).

Would appreciate any thoughts!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:15:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sj586] [#1]
Take a look at the OrcaTorch D530.  It is my backup light for cave diving, but my primary for night ocean dives.  It is solidly built and is on sale on Amazon right now for $85.  It doesn't have one of those stupid high-med-low-strobe-SOS-off switches that makes you cycle through them all.  It has high-low-off.  I ran it for 1 hour and 25 minutes straight and the brightness stayed the same.  Then it dropped off to about 100 lumens.  It uses commonly available and cheap 18650 rechargeable batteries.  The included one charges directly from a USB cable and doesn't need an extra charger.  You can't beat the power in lithium ion batteries, but if you really must have something with disposable batteries look at their D580.  It uses either 3 AAA or an 18650 and runs for about 3 hours, but it is only 500 lumens. Best of both worlds I guess. Tie a bolt snap to it and it seems to meet your criteria.  I don't care for the rotary switch though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:58:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#2]
18650 / rechargeable open up so many other options.

Many will come with a very compact charger, some flashlights that are primarily 18650 will also run on two CR123s.

Honestly, you charge up so many other things.  Phone.  Dive Computer.  What's one more?  And if you carry the right gear it may be easier to charge the battery you have than find the battery you need in a store.

Absolutely your choice.  Just saying don't limit yourself unnecessarily on a compromise that may not be a big a deal as you think.

ETA  I purchased this light, battery, and charger kit.  It's worked well for me.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have several Big Blue 18650 lights including a zoom which I carry on all dives.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the red light TinLeg mentioned.

My cave backups are DiveRite CX2. They make a great recreational light. Long burn time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Marie:
I have the red light TinLeg mentioned.

My cave backups are DiveRite CX2. They make a great recreational light. Long burn time.
View Quote

I also have that Sealife light.  It is my backup to my backup for caves.  It is plenty bright and well constructed, but I hate the high-med-low-SOS-flash-off cycle on the switch and since there isn't a lockout mode I have to unscrew the head slightly to keep it from turning on in my pouch.  I should just replace it, but I am saving up for a Shearwater Perdix 2.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Squatch] [#7]
Originally Posted By sj586:
Take a look at the OrcaTorch D530.  It is my backup light for cave diving, but my primary for night ocean dives.  It is solidly built and is on sale on Amazon right now for $85.  It doesn't have one of those stupid high-med-low-strobe-SOS-off switches that makes you cycle through them all.  It has high-low-off.  I ran it for 1 hour and 25 minutes straight and the brightness stayed the same.  Then it dropped off to about 100 lumens.  It uses commonly available and cheap 18650 rechargeable batteries.  The included one charges directly from a USB cable and doesn't need an extra charger.  You can't beat the power in lithium ion batteries, but if you really must have something with disposable batteries look at their D580.  It uses either 3 AAA or an 18650 and runs for about 3 hours, but it is only 500 lumens. Best of both worlds I guess. Tie a bolt snap to it and it seems to meet your criteria.  I don't care for the rotary switch though.
View Quote

LDS had the D550 in stock.  Thought the size was perfect, but they wanted $195 for it.  

Amazon has it for $95, so I ordered two.  

Thanks for the rec.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sj586:

I also have that Sealife light.  It is my backup to my backup for caves.  It is plenty bright and well constructed, but I hate the high-med-low-SOS-flash-off cycle on the switch and since there isn't a lockout mode I have to unscrew the head slightly to keep it from turning on in my pouch.  I should just replace it, but I am saving up for a Shearwater Perdix 2.
View Quote

Even my Dive Rite LX35 canister light has that cycle through the settings thing to shutdown. Cx2 the same thing. It’s pretty standard. I only ever use the high setting.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top