Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2021 4:07:18 AM EDT
https://history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/collect/collect.html

If the US Army in WWII is your thing this is the place, The Green Books -

U.S. ARMY in World War II

Some of the campaign histories get down to such detail as "Sargent so and so did such and such", they can get VERY detailed as well as a broad view. You can spend months here.

It REALLY sucks that I have no idea which regiment of the 96th division my father was a sargent in on Leyte and Okinawa, much less any greater detail as I could have followed along with a lot of what they did.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By David0858:

Some of the campaign histories get down to such detail as "Sargent so and so did such and such", they can get VERY detailed as well as a broad view. You can spend months here.

It REALLY sucks that I have no idea which regiment of the 96th division my father was a sargent in on Leyte and Okinawa, much less any greater detail as I could have followed along with a lot of what they did.
View Quote

My wife's uncle was in the 96th and was wounded on Okinawa.  Lost a leg and woke up on the landing craft taking him to the hospital ship.  

He also said they were on Leyte when Kurita was coming in to shoot up the transports.  He said they told them to get up into the hills, turn around and dig in; the Japs were coming in behind them.  We know Taffy 3 saved their bacon.  He was surprised I knew about that.

I was also able to narrow down the area he would have been in on Okinawa based on his regiment.  My wife's sister is there now and I'm going to mail her a 96th patch and have her bury it either on the beach or somewhere in his AO.  

Fun fact:  the area she and her family are living in is right in the path his regiment took as they advanced from the beach.  He may have trod where they now live.  She thought that was awesome!

What was your dad's name?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By redleg13a:

My wife's uncle was in the 96th and was wounded on Okinawa.  Lost a leg and woke up on the landing craft taking him to the hospital ship.  

He also said they were on Leyte when Kurita was coming in to shoot up the transports.  He said they told them to get up into the hills, turn around and dig in; the Japs were coming in behind them.  We know Taffy 3 saved their bacon.  He was surprised I knew about that.

I was also able to narrow down the area he would have been in on Okinawa based on his regiment.  My wife's sister is there now and I'm going to mail her a 96th patch and have her bury it either on the beach or somewhere in his AO.  

Fun fact:  the area she and her family are living in is right in the path his regiment took as they advanced from the beach.  He may have trod where they now live.  She thought that was awesome!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@redleg13a
Would you or your family be interested in a PDF copy of the 96th history book they got after the war,  "The Deadeyes – The Story of the 96th Infantry Division in WWII"? It was printed be the gov (Army) in 1947 and gave to the members of the 96th. A lot of divisions had their own history book.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]

@redleg13a
Would you or your family be interested in a PDF copy of the 96th history book they got after the war,  "The Deadeyes – The Story of the 96th Infantry Division in WWII"? It was printed be the gov (Army) in 1947 and gave to the members of the 96th. A lot of divisions had their own history book.
View Quote

Yes!  Most definitely.  I've seen his copy but my wife's aunt has it.  I have my doubts my wife will end up with it.  Her aunt doesn't really care about that stuff but I don't know if she'll think to give it to my wife someday.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Yes!  Most definitely.  I've seen his copy but my wife's aunt has it.  I have my doubts my wife will end up with it.  Her aunt doesn't really care about that stuff but I don't know if she'll think to give it to my wife someday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@redleg13a

IM and link sent.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks David.  I actually bought that Papau Campaign (first edition paperback) and used it in my research.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Thanks David.  I actually bought that Papau Campaign (first edition paperback) and used it in my research.
View Quote

Reading about the battle for Buna wil get your blood pressure up. A bunch of officers in the 32nd division should have been put up against a wall and shot.

I was hurt and couldn't do anything for about 3 or 4 weeks a few years ago and read through all the Pacific campaigns, the North African and Italian campaigns in the green books.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:56:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#8]
I found this site when I was looking for books written about the Sixth Armored Division in WWII (I had a great uncle who was with them - he’s been gone for a long time, and I was maybe only 4 when he died, so I don’t have much if any information on what he did, what smaller units he was in as part of the 6th.)

https://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/ww_reg_his/

But they have numerous scanned books on unit history in WWII as well as other conflicts.  All free as far as I could tell.

I did find a couple of the more noted books on the 6th AD through eBay and a used bookstore in NYC, not cheap.
I would like to find out more about what units he would’ve been assigned to.  No idea on his service number.

I do have several things he brought or sent back from Europe.  A KAR98K, that was sporterized by my grandfather way back, but somewhere I have most of the original stock.  Receiver unfortunately drilled for a scope.
Tank deck flag (Grommets all four corners), sword, army/heer dagger, several pins,some patches, and a helmet (You could make out the signature of the guy that wore it at one time, it’s black with the eagle decal only on one side).  Also a couple old German cameras.  I was told he sent back a wool German overcoat, but the moths got that long before I came around.
Also a drogue  chute, all that remained of a cargo parachute.  That may be US.  
No pistols unfortunately
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top