[Last Edit: spartacus2002]
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 4:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#1]
On second thought, no.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Slippery slope. Mandatory  home inspections are first step in government invasion of privacy and literally Orwellian culture establishment. Lefty’s will love it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure, but your chance of getting abused by a teacher go way down.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By foggy:
Sure, but your chance of getting abused by a teacher go way down.
View Quote
Yeah, but hooking up with your teacher is twice as hot.

Wait, what?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RoadieWingZ:
Slippery slope. Mandatory  home inspections are first step in government invasion of privacy and literally Orwellian culture establishment. Lefty’s will love it.
View Quote
The entire premise is flawed.

It would be an unsuitable environment for teaching, yet suitable for them to live if enrolled in public school?

What’s next, home inspections for all parents?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
When schooling became a necessity for mine we opted for public school. I figured private schools are "for profit" and I would like hunk are likely to skimp on background checks as opposed to public but lately(in CyFair at least)I'm glad I'm not faced with that decision any more(less than one year left)!

I had lots of experience with home schoolers being a vendor at one of the largest homeschool book fairs in Arlington TX in the 90s.

There were concerned parents; there were scary parents; and of course there were parents who got our whole booth high just from afterburn!

Some of the "high profile" speakers, presenters and organizers families were pretty fucked up. A number of the women folk seemed to have a twitchiness about them: when daddy checked his watch or waved to another dad mommy jerked like slipping a punch. The dads were also pretty grabby. This one dad we just met felt the need to give my coworker a hug. Her "NO" resounded through the Arlington Convention Center and I could swear it got silent. He got red and my coworker said she went into nanny mode(raising her neices kids).

I agree with all I've read here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:53:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkcoon] [#8]
.... sorry, not GD
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Yawn.  This gets recycled every couple of years.

Homeschooling is no more likely and probably much less so than public schooling to have abuse in the household.  How do I know?  Well the placement exams and college success rates for homeschooled kids is much higher and those things are strongly correlated with a stable and nurturing environment during the formative years.

This argument is transparent statism and “we own your children” progressivism.  Don’t fall for it.  Sure, there are weird home school families just Iike there are plenty of weird public school ones. It’s not the government’s business to oversee our children or our familes.  Don’t let them try.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mister_H:

It would be an unsuitable environment for teaching, yet suitable for them to live if enrolled in public school?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It may not be a suitable environment to live in, either.  Among a teacher's many jobs, they'd notice some signs of abuse regarding how a child relates to other children and adults, or see physical marks on children that come from more than a bit of rough housing with their buddies.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By thedave1164:

It happens
View Quote
It did to my wife which is reason 4 why we don't home school.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure public school kids are so much more protected and respected.

This article is trash. Look hard ANYWHERE and a bad example will always show up.

If you homeschooling and haven't done so, I encourage you to join HSLDA.

The public schools know they are loosing and they can't let good minds go UN-corrupted.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
It may not be a suitable environment to live in, either.  Among a teacher's many jobs, they'd notice some signs of abuse regarding how a child relates to other children and adults, or see physical marks on children that come from more than a bit of rough housing with their buddies.
View All Quotes

So?  Should they come inspect your home and make sure you are not breaking any laws too?  Maybe give you some tests?  I mean you have nothing to hide right?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#15]
I grew up homeschooled.  I got a great education and no child abuse.

Knew many fellow home schoolers, most got good to great educations. A few were a bit odd with unusual religious practices. A few had substandard educations.

One family I know of had abuse issues. After their father died they were a lot better off. The kids all turned out well thankfully.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tamu94:
So?  Should they come inspect your home and make sure you are not breaking any laws too?  Maybe give you some tests?  I mean you have nothing to hide right?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tamu94:

All I'm saying is if a kid is being abused, that's way more serious an issue whether than where they are being schooled.  I'm not a fan of home inspections, and not sure if out of the home progress testing would help in detecting if there were abuse issues.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Even in the rare cases where child abuse is happening, it's often better to be abused by your family than it is by strangers in the school system, and better than being abused by foster care placement and school throughout your 24hr day.

Also, the bully-based system of public schooling has been found to be an instrumental factor in child abuse.

Report card Fridays increase child abuse 4-fold on Saturdays

Question  Are school report cards a precipitant to child physical abuse?

Findings  This study of report card release dates and state child welfare agency–verified incidents of child physical abuse across an entire state included 1943 cases of abuse. Release of report cards on Monday through Thursday was not associated with increased incidence rates of child physical abuse the same day or the day after the release; however, nearly a 4-fold increase in the incidence rate of verified child physical abuse reports was found on Saturdays after a Friday report card release.

Meaning  These findings offer an actionable, policy-level strategy for school districts that may reduce incidents of child physical abuse linked to report cards.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I was home schooled and got a great education and never experienced abuse. We were part of a homeschool group that got together weekly for activities and special classes like music or Spanish.
My parents,like all the others in the group homeschooled to avoid the liberal indoctrination and general bs that is in all public schools.
My children are in a private christian school for the same reasons.

The communist take over in this country starts in the public school system. Never forget that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Our neighbors home schooled 8 fostered/adopted children. I think, four of them are 'special needs' children with learning deficits related to early childhood living situations, neglect and abuse. Basically, children 'rescued' from a ghetto environment where they were destined and doomed to social failure.

They had to home school. The public schools were completely failing to meet the kids educational needs. The public school was also interfering with custodial issues that were not their concern. A judge bitch slapped the school district to stop their interference.

The public school was willing to move one of the kids through grades she was not prepared for. She was reading at a second grade level in 'high school' and couldn't make change for dollar. That was unacceptable to the parents. The only alternative, after exhaustive meetings with the school was home school.

The parents wanted their children to be functional adults capable of supporting themselves and living independently. They didn't expect them to be Rhodes Scholars or MD's. The wanted these kids to be able to get a job, hold the job, pay their bills and conduct their lives as productive adults would. The parents wanted the kids to have a reasonable chance at living. The public schools didn't care about that. They wanted graduates, numbers, warm bodies in the classrooms to fill district goals for attendance.

As it stands now, the four kids living at home speak English, are able to read and write at their appropriate grade level, cook for themselves and the family, are able to plan meals, mend their clothes, maintain bank accounts, attend church, are involved in church and other social activities. They're easy to talk to, not flippant or distant. They answer questions, ask questions, carry on adult conversations. They can talk about current events and issues. They all score very high on the standardized tests. One of the girls who hasn't graduated 'high school' is taking classes at the local community college and doing extremely well.

These parents are responsible people who rearranged their lives and work schedules to make sure their children had a chance to succeed. It was apparent early on that the public school system had different goals that would not produce the outcome desired.

That was home schooling. The public schools could not have done that for these kids.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Slippery slope. Mandatory home inspections are first step in government invasion of privacy and literally Orwellian culture establishment. Lefty’s will love it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Based on the way many public school kids act, if they aren't being abused at home they are flat out being neglected.  Maybe that can be the next article the journalist writes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I think OP means ANOTHER hit piece on home schooling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top