User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2022 4:13:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nosmik] [#1]
oops

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it’s a Gillette, but you can still get the double blade pivoting Atra blades on line for a sane price rather than the 5 blade monstrosities the stores all carry, or the pretty crappy disposables.  Am a fan of Aveno shave cream.  

It’s what I set my kid up with.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Dollar Shave Club is nothing more than a rebranded Dorco with a higher price. Can't help you with a suggestion on a modern face scraper but you can get Dorco straight from the source.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've settled on Barbasol 3 blade disposables and the Barbasol 1919 shave cream.

The razors are rebranded Dorcos, I usually buy them at places like Big Lots, they're $4 for a package of 4.  They're also available on Amazon and Barbasol's website for a bit more than that. The shave cream comes in a tube and is non-lathering, very slick. I get a pretty good shave out of the combo, at least as good or better than the Mach 3 I no longer use.  I did the safety razor DE shaving for about 3 years. You can absolutely get a great shave with the DE. But I just didn't find it to be appreciably better than the disposables, especially given the extra time/steps to work up a lather, clean up time, etc. I know many will say it's only an extra five minutes but I've found that all the "only 5 extra minutes" add up pretty quickly throughout the day. Also I get about 10-12 shaves per razor, so it's 10 cents or less per shave.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Kroger affiliated stores sell Bromley's razors and accessories. They are rebranded Dorco but different than the Barbasol rebranded Dorco.  Before I went to DE razors I was using Bromley's and they worked well for me. I preferred the 5 blade cartridge over the 7.

When using any cartridge with more than 3 blades don't use shave gel.  It clogs up between the blades and doesn't wash out as easy as foam.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Harry’s. At Walmart.  And I’ve used them all.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Harry’s. At Walmart.  And I’ve used them all.
View Quote

This.  No idea if Harry's is obnoxious like Gilette, but it is what I switched to, and later bought a different color handle set for my son.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#8]
I think DSC/Harry's are at least somewhat woke (I believe they both put out statements against 'systemic racism' around the time of the George Floyd riots), but I don't think they have had any anti-man commercials like Gillette at least.

If I have to buy carts I buy disposable razors for trips or something I buy single blade Bic razors they're about the same angle of approach as a safety razor, and the heads don't pivot.

As far as big names there's still Schick, I haven't heard of them putting their foot in their mouth. I believe the "Hydro" is their current multi blade cart razor.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Harry's dropped Daily Wire (Ben Shapiro Show) as a sponsor. They are  ber woke. Maybe try Jeremy's Razors?
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:39:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kaufdrop] [#10]
I know you said not a safety razor but I would take a serious look at a Henson. It will last him a lifetime, performs like a cartridge and the blades are way cheaper since it uses DE blades. He can also change blades to his preferred sharpness as he learns which ones he likes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Get him a nice DE and teach him how to use that. It will give him a better shave and be way cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HercMech:
Get him a nice DE and teach him how to use that. It will give him a better shave and be way cheaper in the long run.
View Quote

I went from my old weighted Merkur to a Leaf and I'm not going back. It's easy to buy DE blades in bulk and use those in it. Great and cost effective shave.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lighteye67:

I went from my old weighted Merkur to a Leaf and I'm not going back. It's easy to buy DE blades in bulk and use those in it. Great and cost effective shave.
View Quote
@lighteye67

That Leaf razor looks pretty cool, does it clog up more than a DE? The head looks a little more closed off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Crusader44] [#14]
Originally Posted By Vap0rWav3r:
@lighteye67

That Leaf razor looks pretty cool, does it clog up more than a DE? The head looks a little more closed off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@lighteye67

@Vap0rWav3r

As far as it getting clogged, a few spins of the wheel on the back of the razor head open it up for a quick rinse, but I've never needed to do that mid shave,  I just do it after I'm done. That only takes seconds anyways. If I wait 3 or 4 days between shaving, it does start to fill up, but as I said, I've never needed to pause the shave to clear it.

I've found that I get absolutely zero nicks with the Leaf unless I play around with inferior blades. The ones they give you with the razor suck bad. In my case, it was 2 shaves and done before they needed replacing. It's best to just snap your preferred blades in half in the paper wrapper and use those. My mega-horde of Astra blades love their new home in the Leaf. 40+ years of shaving have taught me a little bit about what's good and what's bad. The Leaf is pretty awesome, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 5:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#15]

@Vap0rWav3r

As far as it getting clogged, a few spins of the wheel on the back of the razor head open it up for a quick rinse, but I've never needed to do that mid shave,  I just do it after I'm done. That only takes seconds anyways. If I wait 3 or 4 days between shaving, it does start to fill up, but as I said, I've never needed to pause the shave to clear it.

I've found that I get absolutely zero nicks with the Leaf unless I play around with inferior blades. The ones they give you with the razor suck bad. In my case, it was 2 shaves and done before they needed replacing. It's best to just snap your preferred blades in half in the paper wrapper and use those. My mega-horde of Astra blades love their new home in the Leaf. 40+ years of shaving have taught me a little bit about what's good and what's bad. The Leaf is pretty awesome, IMO.
View Quote
I might have to check it out (not that I really need another razor ), it reminds me of a cross of the vintage Gem safety razors, and the Schick Injectors. Would you say the shave is similar to a DE or more mild? I really like the look of the Mercury colored one.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I might have to check it out (not that I really need another razor ), it reminds me of a cross of the vintage Gem safety razors, and the Schick Injectors. Would you say the shave is similar to a DE or more mild? I really like the look of the Mercury colored one.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/IMAGERENDERING_521856-T2/images/I/61HQBb7x+sL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

Crap. Sorry I missed your question. Even with all 3 blades loaded, I've found it nigh impossible to nick myself no matter how rushed and hamfisted I sometimes have to give it a go. If you do find that your technique causes nicks, just remove the bottom blade and use the top two.

That smooth flexing head and the geometry on it is the key to bloodless shaves. Nothing manly about having to rely on an alum block to stop an involuntary blood transfusion. For my last 20 odd years on this earth, I don't think I'll need another razor as long as I can source my DE blades. I dislike the Leaf blades, and find that the blades I use in my other DE razors are superior. Of course YMMV.  

@Vap0rWav3r
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Crap. Sorry I missed your question. Even with all 3 blades loaded, I've found it nigh impossible to nick myself no matter how rushed and hamfisted I sometimes have to give it a go. If you do find that your technique causes nicks, just remove the bottom blade and use the top two.

That smooth flexing head and the geometry on it is the key to bloodless shaves. Nothing manly about having to rely on an alum block to stop an involuntary blood transfusion. For my last 20 odd years on this earth, I don't think I'll need another razor as long as I can source my DE blades. I dislike the Leaf blades, and find that the blades I use in my other DE razors are superior. Of course YMMV.  

@Vap0rWav3r
View Quote
Nice, I wasn't aware it took multiple blades, I've gotten to a point where I can enjoy mostly bloodless shaves with my DE, I still get a weeper every now and then I If I bulldoze a pimple or something. I went on a trip and didn't pack any single blade disposables and grabbed a cart razor at Walmart after I landed and it roasted my face, thankfully I packed my aftershave and aftershave balm. I've been using DEs exclusively for ~5 years now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
All you do is take your preferred DE blade and snap it in half while it's in the paper and you have 2 blades for it. Fully loaded it takes 3 blades, and that's what I use with my Astra platinums. the angle of the blade opening and pivoting are a wonder, and no they don't pay me for my love for them. The Merkur and Parker have been put away for the next time I see my son.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Pre-shave oil will make things much more comfortable.  You can buy it, but once you find out the ingredients, making your own is really easy.  A good razor, use a good shaving brush, lots of hot water, Tabac shave cream/soap will really help.  I always thought I got the best shave in the shower as the last thing before getting out of the shower.  All that time with the hot water on my face really softened my beard up for a good close shave.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hellishhorses] [#20]
I use a Harry's once a week during football season and never outside of that. The razor is phenomenal, the company is woke trash. I have been on the same four-pack of blades for several years. Will look for a new model when the blades run out or go back to my grandfather's 75-year old tungsten straight razor.

Jeremy's Razor maybe, even though their blade head lacks the back-side single blade perfect for cleaning up around the nose and side burns.

Current set up is:
Harry's 5-blade
Badger hair brush
Ceramic mug
Target $5 shave soap
Sandalwood lotion
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

This.  No idea if Harry's is obnoxious like Gilette, but it is what I switched to, and later bought a different color handle set for my son.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Harry's. At Walmart.  And I've used them all.

They're even further left than Gillette.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Listen up.

Get him a Merkur 34C with Feather blades, a tube of Proraso shaving cream and a basic brush.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Safety razor and some Japanese blades. I switched over 4 years ago and it is insanely close shave plus very inexpensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top