Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2020 9:20:46 AM EDT
Impressive! Comfortable!

Muhle R89 Grande razor
Yaqui Segrada Familia synthetic brush
Stirling Bergamot and Lavender shave soap
Astra Platinum blade this shave is either its 3rd or 4th use. I think it's fourth. Hey, anyone can get a close shave with brand new blade.

I bloomed the soap with hot water while I was in the shower

Synth brushes don't have to be soaked as the fibers do not absorb water; they hold it using surface tension. Dipped bristles in very warm water for 5 seconds, shook it out, and started loading with soap for face-lathering. Did not get "explosive" lather. I think the brush was a little too wet and needed some more shake-off before loading. But using more soap I got it right. Brush is extremely soft on the face with no 'scrubbiness'. Boars are great for exfoliating the skin so although I'm retiring my first boar brush of 11 years I'm keeping the 'Professional' and another Omega boar similar to the one I'm retiring is en route.

The shave: Even using a well-worn Astra blade the shave was very comfortable with no nicks, cuts, or weepers that I can find. I'm still having to do three passes but am able to do so with much less irritation esp. above the upper lip and on and below the jaw line on the right side of my face (both problem areas). I've got one small area of razor burn above my upper lip and that's it. Despite laser-etching the handle is not as "grippy" as I'd hoped for but it works.

After rinsing, gently shaking, and then gently towel-drying the brush I was kind of surprised it was still somewhat damp; I was under the impression that synthetic brushes dried almost instantly. I'll check it in an hour.

In short, what a difference quality shave tools can make. I should have upgraded to a better quality DE razor years ago.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:35:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: banana-clip] [#1]
Thanks for the great review, I used my new Fatip Retro Double Edge Safety Razor Saturday I got from Italian Barber and its definitely not mild.  It was a very close shave, but really nice razor.

I also used the Italian Barber xxx after shave balm and it is really nice.  Smells great and leaves your skin super soft, for $2.99 can't beat it.

I can't wait to try the shaving sticks from Italian Barber, they smell super good.  I'll try them out soon.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#2]
This evening FedEx left a 2nd parcel from WCS:

Merkur 34C HD razor
Timeless Razor lathering bowl
Yaqui synthetic brush 22mm knot with "butterscotch" handle
Small puck Col. Conk Bay Rum shaving soap

Put a fresh Astra platinum blade in the Merkur and using the Yaqui brush and lather bowl whipped up an incredible lather with a kidney bean-sized snicket of Sudsy Soapery "Uplift" (tallow) soap and went to work.

For what is touted as an excellent "beginner's razor" the 34C HD is noticeably more aggressive than the Muhle. You can really hear those whiskers being cut. Having a shorter handle the Merkur is a bit more agile. I'll need to find some blades that are more forgiving. Astra's fine with the Muhle but not a good match with the Merkur at least not for me.

Again, the same razor burn in that one spot just above my upper lip on the right. Rinse with ice cold water then applied a bit of Barbasol "Pacific Rush" after-shave balm. Nice shave.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The 34C is an awesome razor, one of my favorites.  You got some really cool new shaving gear.  I'm excited about using my new Italian Barber brand shaving sticks.  I got four total, going to give two out as gifts with the two new razors I got from Italian Barber, but I'll be keeping the other two.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By banana-clip:
The 34C is an awesome razor, one of my favorites.
View Quote

I'm finding it to be more aggressive than the Muhle R89. Cannot compare it to an Edwin Jagger D89 as I don't own one...yet.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

I'm finding it to be more aggressive than the Muhle R89. Cannot compare it to an Edwin Jagger D89 as I don't own one...yet.

View Quote

Mühle R89 and Edwin Jagger DE89 heads are supposedly the same. Story has it that Mühle and Edwin Jagger developed the head as a joint venture. Their Silvertip Fiber synthetic knots are another supposed collaboration (different handles, maybe different depth setting, same knot).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top