Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2022 8:23:39 AM EDT
Was on a cruise dived Cozumel and Roatan
It was sprinkling when we dived Roatan visibility was ok.It was nice but I liked Cozumel better.

Cozumel had a lot more sea life and was a drift dive.

I my humble opinion if I was going to go dive for a week at one it would be Cozumel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  I thought Roatan was THE dive destination in that part of the world.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Been to Cozumel many times and exclusively used Dive Paradise and staying at the Barracuda.  Due to the currents drift dives are the most prevalent.  It always amazed me how the boat captains kept track of their divers even though multiple boats were on the same site.

The lady I remember who ran the place was Apple.  Unfortunately she has passed on, hopefully to a better place.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Cozumel for the win.

It however went down hill when the cruise ship terminal was built
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:16:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#4]
If I had to pick one based on diving both, I'd probably go with Cozumel.  I might choose differently if it was between Cozumel and Guanaja and diving was the only factor.

MV Ocean Spirit, 1992
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:28:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eracer:
Interesting.  I thought Roatan was THE dive destination in that part of the world.
View Quote

The wind pattern and ocean currents in Roatan are a lot stronger, making actual days to dive for a casual diver a lot fewer per year.

I own a small chunk of land on Roatan on the NW side and lease it to a Canadian wind surfing outfit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
In Cozumel we used a Dutch Lady named Rosie, she was awesome! Unfortunately passed on as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#8]
If you like drift diving, Cozumel is very good. Roatan can have currents in some dive sites on certain days as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Headed to Roatan for first time shortly. Fly fishing for permit and bones mainly
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eracer:
View Quote

That's was my understanding as well. It was sprinkling on the surface so that cut down visibility. I had a sea turtle swim right beside me for a good way also. Reagan is definitely a good dive.

Costume had more sea life an a larger variety of sea life during my dive.

Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top