Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2020 4:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thewrencher]
Wife and I decided to pull the trigger and go with homeschooling. Son is 16 YO and will be starting 10th grade.
He has been diagnosed with what they label as " functional Asperger's ". The kid is smart but only in what he
wants to engage in. My opinion is all teenagers are that way. The trick is finding ways to intrigue them as far
as I'm concerned.

So, reason for my post is I have no clue where to start. I would like to try "old school" stuff like history, math,
science. But, I also want / need to make it heavy in computer. Now, I know "computer" is a very general statement.
He has always been big into it. At first was learning, building, and upgrading computers. That he has down pat. Now,
he has a small business making avatars for VR. I think he said he has been using blender for building for the last
3 or so years.

Is there an on line source to test his math and other skills to see what grade level he is at?
I was told a few years ago that he is way beyond his age group for computer stuff. Small example I can give is my
wife signed him up on idtech for a 3d class. The class included a printer. Of course as soon as he got the printer he
is on the run making stuff before his first class. He has an online friend that is in robotics in collage and has sent him files
to print plus I'm sure showed him a few things in blender. I feel he can pick up some stuff from the class if he can
just listen.

Going to stop here. I will check and reply as often as I can. Sorry if it is rambling but working out in the heat sucks
when you get older.

Thank you for taking the time to read

9/28- Wife set everything up and wanted to post that we are using Kahn Academy and outschool. Both seem to be working
well at least for now. I don't have a solid opinion yet but should in a few weeks. I am starting to take off one day a week to
be with him for schooling plus my wife works one day a week at home. She also has him doing school work on the weekends.

My wife discovered through testing that he is behind his age for English and math.  Have started learning / testing books for him and am impressed with how quickly he is picking on the English. The English book is labeled for 7th through 9th grade.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the kid interested in?

Begin where he’s at.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Most state boards of education have home schooling materials and guidelines, curricula, etc on-line. Check out yours.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Also look at www.fpea.com for guidance. It’s for Florida, but a lot of resources and guidance for anyone in the US. Florida is a homeschool friendly state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top