Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
12/23/2017 9:40:36 AM EDT
Okay all you southerners, New Year is coming and I need a good(!!) recipe for collard greens.  (Yes, I know there's a cooking board, GD gets more traffic.)

Best I ever had were at a soul food restaurant, in Detroit, called Veronica's 35 years ago. I've lived in the south for the last 30 years, never acquired this talent, and the southern side of the family is coming over....need to nail this.  There are lots of recipes online, but I have no idea what makes them good.

All help appreciated.
12/23/2017 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
, but I have no idea what makes them good.
View Quote
smoked jowls and bacon grease
12/23/2017 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Quoted:
smoked jowls and bacon grease
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
, but I have no idea what makes them good.
smoked jowls and bacon grease
This.  As well as a splash of vinegar, red pepper flakes, and pepper
12/23/2017 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Chicken broth with smoked neckbones brought to a boil.   Add collards.  Serve with pepper sauce.  Cracking bread is awesome with collards.
12/23/2017 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Salt,pepper,ham hock, pinch of sugar...in PRESSURE COOKER. Its even better when she just got them out of the field that morning.   I  really miss my grandmother
12/23/2017 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The secret is to mix one can each of collard greens, mustard greens and turnip greens. That takes the bitterness out.

My wife cooks this in a cast iron frying pan with a little bacon grease and some chopped-up onions.
12/23/2017 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Jowl bacon diced and rendered.

Strip greens of large stalks.

Sautee' in with the grease and add a little chicken stock, salt, pepper until tender.

Not rocket surgery so don't overthink it and let the flavors of the greens and bacon do the talking.

Vinegar and red pepper are to be available at the table.

NOTE, this process makes a tougher green. If you want the squishy, canned/ Cracker Barrel style either boil the hell out of them or pressure cook them (or just used canned).
12/23/2017 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Mix of all the above

Love greens
12/23/2017 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
My sister uses country ham for seasoning.

She has a talent for collards.  Hers are always perfect
12/23/2017 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I like to add black eyed peas and chopped onions and make some corn bread to eat with it.  Fried pork chops go pretty well with this, or even baked or fried ham (slices).
12/23/2017 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:
Jowl bacon diced and rendered.

Strip greens of large stalks.

Sautee' in with the grease and add a little chicken stock, salt, pepper until tender.

Not rocket surgery so don't overthink it and let the flavors of the greens and bacon do the talking.

Vinegar and red pepper are to be available at the table.

NOTE, this process makes a tougher green. If you want the squishy, canned/ Cracker Barrel style either boil the hell out of them or pressure cook them (or just used canned).
View Quote
This, and add a little smoked paprika for an additional flavor element.
12/23/2017 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Vinegar goes in at the end so they dont turn brown.
12/23/2017 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't get too crazy with mine.  The main thing is to cut the stalks out of them.

Cut out stalks
Cut leaves into smaller sections
Slowly cook fatback in a pan, outside if possible (grease pops a good bit)
Fill pot with water and bring to boil
Put greens in pot with salt and pepper
add fatback grease about halfway through cooking

I'll make up some hot vinegar, too.   Take a mason jar of vinegar and add habaneros, ghost peppers and some cayenne peppers.  Let it sit in the fridge for a week or more.  Put a smal slice in each pepper before putting in the jar.
12/23/2017 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:
Jowl bacon diced and rendered.

Strip greens of large stalks.

Sautee' in with the grease and add a little chicken stock, salt, pepper until tender.

Not rocket surgery so don't overthink it and let the flavors of the greens and bacon do the talking.

Vinegar and red pepper are to be available at the table.

NOTE, this process makes a tougher green. If you want the squishy, canned/ Cracker Barrel style either boil the hell out of them or pressure cook them (or just used canned).
View Quote
This is the correct answer.

I fry the bacon, then sweat the onions until they turn clear. then i add the greens and sweat them down. I add a little chicken stock or broth and cover to steam them until tender. I hate the overcooked canned breens.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In