Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2021 6:55:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO]
I posted in another forum but believe it’s very relevant here at a different angle a d perspective.

I have a child about to start kindergarten. He’s advanced in his academics but a little behind socially.  In his preschool class he mentioned shooting his classmates with a staff; he saw a Loki commercial on Disney Plus and that 30 seconds left an indelible impression apparently.

I’m concerned about him mentioning guns or shooting at his next school. He has no access to anything, nor exposure, but he still speaks of them on rare occasion. What are the risks in this in a charter school setting? One slip from him, reported, and we get a visit? My child is harmless but will replay or say things to get a rise from people. He’s not old enough to comprehend mature discussion (do’s, avoid’s).

What are my options?  Homeschool him because of his propensity to say anything? Talk with the school in advance? I’d like to avoid some visit to our house based upon a five year old’s inability to process intake as well as proclivity to say things that drives reactions from anyone else.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk to the kid and talk to the teacher.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Volox:
Talk to the kid and talk to the teacher.
View Quote

The teacher angle makes sense.  The challenge is my kid is driven by reaction and attention, and mentioning it puts further emphasis or risk that he would talk about it at a potentially higher likelihood.  And he's no threat; a five your old boy who could start issues because he cannot yet process things in his mind.

Is there any advice on how to approach it with a new school/teacher?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

The teacher angle makes sense.  The challenge is my kid is driven by reaction and attention, and mentioning it puts further emphasis or risk that he would talk about it at a potentially higher likelihood.  And he's no threat; a five your old boy who could start issues because he cannot yet process things in his mind.

View Quote
Your kid is not a threat but the Karens squad are going to flex and red flag you for child neglect or some bullshit.

Best thing to do is teach him that certain things only be discussed inside your house, i.e "pew pew", money, vacation.

I had to remind my little boy about not discussing things in public on a daily basis.

If shit hit the fan and the school teachers threatened to call CPS. Just play along, take him out of school immediately, sell your house and move to another state.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PR_addict:
Your kid is not a threat but the Karens squad are going to flex and red flag you for child neglect or some bullshit.

Best thing to do is teach him that certain things only be discussed inside your house, i.e "pew pew", money, vacation.

I had to remind my little boy about not discussing things in public on a daily basis.

If shit hit the fan and the school teachers threatened to call CPS. Just play along, take him out of school immediately, sell your house and move to another state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oof, would like to avoid that.  Would prefer to get ahead of it with the School now so there are no surprises.  Or pull him now before he starts.  The kiddo has shown he likes to talk about things the more I emphasize not to, and not talking about it has its own risks.  He's a wildcard at this age.

Stepping back, he's five, safe, no threat, and guns are not evil.  I shouldn't have to worry, yet clown world says otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 6:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StanleySpidowski] [#5]

Oof, would like to avoid that.  Would prefer to get ahead of it with the School now so there are no surprises.  Or pull him now before he starts.  The kiddo has shown he likes to talk about things the more I emphasize not to, and not talking about it has its own risks.  He's a wildcard at this age.

Stepping back, he's five, safe, no threat, and guns are not evil.  I shouldn't have to worry, yet clown world says otherwise.
View All Quotes

Exactly what you do,besides the move out of state part.

A good parenting moment,he needs to know that there is shit that everybody doesnt need to know about.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I did with my kids.

Guns are not a mystery
Guns are around the house
They can hold them when ever they want they just have to ask, when they did ask I unloaded it and let them hold it.  

They are now 11 and 8.  They could care less about guns as they know about them.  

They also know that they absolutely do not talk about guns to anybody other than my family and I.  

De mystify guns to kids.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:
Here is what I did with my kids.

Guns are not a mystery
Guns are around the house
They can hold them when ever they want they just have to ask, when they did ask I unloaded it and let them hold it.  

They are now 11 and 8.  They could care less about guns as they know about them.  

They also know that they absolutely do not talk about guns to anybody other than my family and I.  

De mystify guns to kids.
View Quote

This is what I've done as well, but I'm not sure that necessarily helps OP with his particular concern.

To me, this sounds like another reason to homeschool (not anywhere near the top, but a reason nonetheless).
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy him the least realistic-looking nerf gun you can find. My nephews have something like this:
Nerf Dinosquad Tricera Blaster

If the school calls:
“Huh? Oh, he’s got some silly dinosaur-themed nerf dart gun at home. He runs around the backyard playing Jurassic Park or something.”

“He has neither access nor exposure to real firearms at home. We make sure his friend’s parents share our views before he visits their homes.”

“I’ll be honest - this call raises concerns of my own. If you say he’s talking about real firearms, it can only be something he’s picked up at school.”

I wouldn’t say a word to anyone in advance.

When you think he's old enough to understand firearm safety and discretion, change up your approach.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I was fortunate(ish) that my son started out in DoD schools where he was among like-minded kids and teachers that understand the culture.

He started 3rd grade when we PCS’ed to a non-military community. That fall semester, wife got a call from the school informing her that our son and a friend were discussing “blowing up the school”.

Needless to say I was concerned about potential fallout from what I presumed was kids being kids. Nothing became of the incident, but we did have some serious conversations with the boy about appropriate conversations in school.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a visit
once

she brought my kindergartener home. I had daughter come in, CPS tried to follow and I blocked.
did NOT let that bitch in.

she questioned and I asked what part of the issue was illegal? nothing was.
she wanted to see and photograph all the artillery and reloading stuff. I said NO a dozen times
before telling her to

fuck off
dont EVER interact with my kid again
dont ever come back

never did

people are scared of these types. don't be.
they have NO authority a court didn't specifically give them.
if they did, you would know because you would have been in court.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

serious question. you in texas? why are you so paranoid about a school in tx?

we just moved here to escape the crazies in WA.

what scares you about the school?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TexLaw1:
Buy him the least realistic-looking nerf gun you can find. My nephews have something like this:
Nerf Dinosquad Tricera Blaster

If the school calls:
“Huh? Oh, he’s got some silly dinosaur-themed nerf dart gun at home. He runs around the backyard playing Jurassic Park or something.”

“He has neither access nor exposure to real firearms at home. We make sure his friend’s parents share our views before he visits their homes.”

“I’ll be honest - this call raises concerns of my own. If you say he’s talking about real firearms, it can only be something he’s picked up at school.”

I wouldn’t say a word to anyone in advance.

When you think he's old enough to understand firearm safety and discretion, change up your approach.
View Quote

1. Now this, this is the guy to go to if you need a smart answer to a dumb problem.
2. "Jurassic Park or something," haha, sounds like a boomer answer. Probably wouldn't make much sense to the young idiots in charge of public schools these days.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By belted_guns:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By belted_guns:

Big city TX is libtard TX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top