Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2023 4:24:10 PM EDT
Long story short, not worried about depth where I wanna dive, since it's like 40 feet max. I am looking to dive some glacial lakes so temperature is a big thing. Looking for some pointers. Hoping to get certified this summer. Looking at the Ocean Reef Neptune mask and am looking for a big and tall wet suit and BCD.

.....and yeah I'm a plus sized guy. Got a Minelab Excalibur II metal detector on the way and plan on having some fun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
For cold water I would say get a dry suit instead of a wet suit.

Did not use them for in water work but we were issued them for flight deck operations in the North Atlantic.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By svt40:

Did not use them for in water work but we were issued them for flight deck operations in the North Atlantic.
View Quote

How much are they?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dsparil:

How much are they?
View Quote

No idea.  They were free for us along with Mustang suits.  At least until deployment was over and we turned them back in.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry suit prices vary wildly depending on type and manufacturer.

Go to a dive shop or look on Scuba Board or Scuba Toys website for ideas.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]

How much are they?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By svt40:

How much are they?

Thousands.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#6]
To expand on the drysuit thing, they ain’t cheap, especially if you’re a big and tall guy and would maybe have a tougher time finding one.

The drysuit in my avatar is a custom US made DUI FLX Extreme - $4100 two years ago.

There’s a place out of the UK called Seaskin that makes custom suits for maybe $1K minimum. The exchange rate is our favor currently. Go to Scubaboard. There’s a huge thread on this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Marie:
To expand on the drysuit thing, they ain’t cheap, especially if you’re a big and tall guy and would maybe have a tougher time finding one.

The drysuit in my avatar is a custom US made DUI FLX Extreme - $4100 two years ago.

There’s a place out of the UK called Seaskin that makes custom suits for maybe $1K minimum. The exchange rate is our favor currently. Go to Scubaboard. There’s a huge thread on this.
View Quote

ummmm....... ouch?

....and thanks. Funny enough, last night, I ran into a game warden friend of mine, who said, during the summer, a wetsuit should be plenty. They got divers out there all the time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#8]

ummmm....... ouch?

....and thanks. Funny enough, last night, I ran into a game warden friend of mine, who said, during the summer, a wetsuit should be plenty. They got divers out there all the time.
View Quote

Diving is not a cheap sport, but you’re used to shooting, so it won’t be that much of a shock.

Do you have buddies you’re planning on diving with?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Diving is not a cheap sport, but you’re used to shooting, so it won’t be that much of a shock.

Do you have buddies you’re planning on diving with?
View Quote

yeah I got my pal. We're planning on diving around the docks using the metal detector to find stuff. A little side hustle and something to do for fun and exercise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]

yeah I got my pal. We're planning on diving around the docks using the metal detector to find stuff. A little side hustle and something to do for fun and exercise.
View Quote

Good. Was hoping you didn’t have the hare brained idea of diving solo soon after you get OW.

There are a few of us here who dive solo, but we’ve got hundreds of dives.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dsparil] [#11]

Good. Was hoping you didn’t have the hare brained idea of diving solo soon after you get OW.

There are a few of us here who dive solo, but we’ve got hundreds of dives.
View Quote

Nah. Even if I did have a bunch of dives under me, I don't plan on going deep. For whatever reason, my ears and anything past 20 feet don't get along. I think my previous tobacco useage has something to do with that(cigars). I just want to go salvaging but I wanna get a nice big tank so I can stay under for a bit instead of continually having to come up for air with a snorkel. Toss a big old flag on top of me that says "Lemme 'lone."

was looking at this and a 133 quality tank like faber. Or is 133 a bit much for what I want?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#12]

Nah. Even if I did have a bunch of dives under me, I don't plan on going deep. For whatever reason, my ears and anything past 20 feet don't get along. I think my previous tobacco useage has something to do with that(cigars). I just want to go salvaging but I wanna get a nice big tank so I can stay under for a bit instead of continually having to come up for air with a snorkel. Toss a big old flag on top of me that says "Lemme 'lone."

was looking at this and a 133 quality tank like faber. Or is 133 a bit much for what I want?
View Quote

Why a full face mask?

If your ears have issues below 20ft, you may not even be able to get certified. OW class is to 60ft.

That tank is like half my height
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:12:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dsparil] [#13]

Why a full face mask?

If your ears have issues below 20ft, you may not even be able to get certified. OW class is to 60ft.

View Quote

oh.

Well maybe smaller then LOL.

Yeah the ear issue was like 10 years ago though. I quit my tobacco shit ages ago. I could prolly do 60ft but I'll never go to that depth. I just wanna hit the lakes around here. They're like 20ft ish. We'll see.

ETA: oh yeah, facemask, so I can breath through my nose. Something relaxing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]

oh.

Yeah the ear issue was like 10 years ago though. I quit my tobacco shit ages ago. I could prolly do 60ft but I'll never go to that depth. I just wanna hit the lakes around here. They're like 20ft ish. We'll see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Why a full face mask?

oh.

Full face masks are more complicated than they look. Try a HP100 tank. Still plenty of air but not so huge. Used tanks can be had.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Full-face masks are great if you're working, especially in zero-viz water as they tend to stay fog and water free, assuming a positive -pressure mask; otherwise, they're a pain in the ass.
The other thing about full-face masks is neck strain; after a long dive, your neck is sore. I used to dive a KMB-8 when I was scallop diving, but it stayed in the bag when I was fun diving.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dsparil] [#16]
Originally Posted By FB41:

Full-face masks are great if you're working, especially in zero-viz water as they tend to stay fog and water free, assuming a positive -pressure mask; otherwise, they're a pain in the ass.
The other thing about full-face masks is neck strain; after a long dive, your neck is sore. I used to dive a KMB-8 when I was scallop diving, but it stayed in the bag when I was fun diving.
View Quote

eh looking at that mask I can see why your neck would be sore. DAMN!

Was that thing designed to be run over by a tank?
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top