Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2019 12:07:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey]
If so, I could use some info. I'm about to head for northern Iraq (Key West, if you have info on that please share!) scratch that, back to somewhere in Afghanistan and have to go through CRC.

Any tips, things to avoid, things to not avoid, etc would be much appreciated. My last deployment didn't require it but apparently I have to go through this time and everything I've heard indicates that it's a PITA

Definitely planning on getting a hotel and rental car.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:48:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmeyer001] [#1]
Wasn't that bad last time, but it's been a bit. Nov, 2015.
Make sure all your immunizations are current and have multiple copies of all your docs. Show up with a white CAC, not a green stripe.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck man. I am on a NATO contract in Afghanistan, so I did not have to go. Talking to the DoD personnel that have gone recently, they said it's not that bad, just boring on many levels.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I already spent a year and a half in Afghanistan so Iraq might be a nice change....

Boredom is better than annoying I guess. I'm still waiting on the idiots from our contracted medical company to get the rest of my immunization records
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing current here. Last time I went through CRC was 2007.

But, if you’re Googling for info, the site you’re heading to in Iraq is “Q” West.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
Nothing current here. Last time I went through CRC was 2007.

But, if you’re Googling for info, the site you’re heading to in Iraq is “Q” West.
View Quote
I keep hearing it called both

Should be an interesting place.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#6]
I'm in mosul at the minute, but I get to Key West from time to time. CRC is a waste of time and tax dollars. I showed up with all the med stuff done, and they re-did it so they can bill the government. I kept a rental car while I was there so I could escape the stupid. They try to treat you like army privates.  It's been a while since I was there, but they issued a ton of shit I didn't need, and offered no way to ship the excess home (rental car was good for taking care of that).

Key west is OK, food is alright. What are you going to be doing?  Let me guess..  UAV?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By eodinert:
I'm in mosul at the minute, but I get to Key West from time to time. CRC is a waste of time and tax dollars. I showed up with all the med stuff done, and they re-did it so they can bill the government. I kept a rental car while I was there so I could escape the stupid. They try to treat you like army privates.  It's been a while since I was there, but they issued a ton of shit I didn't need, and offered no way to ship the excess home (rental car was good for taking care of that).

Key west is OK, food is alright. What are you going to be doing?  Let me guess..  UAV?
View Quote
Yep, UAVs. Company changed my site though so now I'm going back to Afghanistan, no idea where yet

I'm already having issues with medical crap being a pain, I'm not looking forward to it
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Qwest is pretty straight. good chow hall, Got mortared once or twice last year,
there's a goddamn lake on the flight line near the portashitters unless they pumped that shit out.
started as a pool and grew exponentially into a lake by the time we rotated out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#9]
Well, that was dumb

Before getting on the bus to head for the airfield, one of the sergeants described our "Golden ticket" (out processing paperwork) as proof to our company that we were there for 6 days for no reason His honesty was refreshing.

Overall CRC wasn't too bad but it really was pointless. As said above, a lot of gear we didn't need and such. Just a hassle all around.

Oh well. Glad it's over. Heading for Afghanistan now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:27:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ljh824] [#10]
Bliss?  They have it down to a science.  They tell you where to be, and when to be there.  The only day that sucked was weapon qual day.  Wednesday I think.  Show time is 4am.

Best advice I can give is to finish your TSIRT classes before you get there.  It will make your time much less stressful.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ljh824:
Bliss?  They have it down to a science.  They tell you where to be, and when to be there.  The only day that sucked was weapon qual day.  Wednesday I think.  Show time is 4am.

Best advice I can give is to finish your TSIRT classes before you get there.  It will make your time much less stressful.
View Quote
Doing TSIRTS during the process would have been MISERABLE. I only needed one (of course it took 3 hours but whatever).

They really did do a good job of herding us through, it just felt so silly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:38:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hk33] [#12]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
If so, I could use some info. I'm about to head for northern Iraq (Key West, if you have info on that please share!) scratch that, back to somewhere in Afghanistan and have to go through CRC.

Any tips, things to avoid, things to not avoid, etc would be much appreciated. My last deployment didn't require it but apparently I have to go through this time and everything I've heard indicates that it's a PITA

Definitely planning on getting a hotel and rental car.
View Quote
It's CRC, not sure what else to really say.  should take around 4 days,  as long as you have your medical records and training certs in order it basically goes something like this.  Not sure this is anything to do or avoid.
Day 1 medical,
Day 2 CIF
Day 3 Training/classes
Day 4 Flight roster

Formation goes at 0600 i believe, I think the days are done are 1400. nighly formation at 1800 I believe. I wouldnt say anything is a pain in the ass, just something that you need to go though to check all the boxes

El Paso is ok, Went to a few really good Mexican restaurants

Just saw that you cleared,  stay safe
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
My son is about to go also, in fact leaves for CRC on the 13th....his first time. I have 10 deployments in the last 16 years, and have gone yet. I'm glad, the other LAR's tell me is sucks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ljh824] [#14]
Forgot to add for Bliss, do,NOT show up in a rental car.  They freak the fuck out.  CRC bus will pick you up al El Paso airport.  There's a desk right next to baggage claim to check in.  There is an hourly shuttle to get you around base if needed.  A bunch of us would hit the Texas Roadhouse for dinner every night.  The Exchange on Bliss is outstanding.  Like a little village.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ljh824:
Forgot to add for Bliss, do,NOT show up in a rental car.  They freak the fuck out.  CRC bus will pick you up al El Paso airport.  There's a desk right next to baggage claim to check in.  There is an hourly shuttle to get you around base if needed.  A bunch of us would hit the Texas Roadhouse for dinner every night.  The Exchange on Bliss is outstanding.  Like a little village.
View Quote
I guess they've calmed down about rentals, I stayed in a hotel off base and drove in every day They let us park in a big lot the next block over from the barracks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 4:57:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#16]
They didn’t issue us JSLIST, which made us all very happy.

That being said, they could have given us a more specific packing list.

Other than that, no complaints.

Just out of curiosity, anyone here end up at KAF?
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
They didn’t issue us JSLIST, which made us all very happy.

That being said, they could have given us a more specific packing list.

Other than that, no complaints.

Just out of curiosity, anyone here end up at KAF?
View Quote
Recently? No... been 5 yrs... but I may be able to get some answers to specific questions from someone that is there if you can't get them answered here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I’m at KAF again after nine years, and the Mods are just as nasty as I remember.

Niagara still blows out your o-ring, too.

North Line is still good, and the pizza at Kabob House is damn good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Went to Afghanistan for three months, jumped ship, now gotta go through CRC again next week

Happy to answer any questions I can if anyone needs info. I'm not an expert though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't get a rental, and don't get a hotel. There's a new rotation here since you were here last, and you DO NOT want to get caught doing that, they'll send your ass home in half a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Doc_Hurley:
Don't get a rental, and don't get a hotel. There's a new rotation here since you were here last, and you DO NOT want to get caught doing that, they'll send your ass home in half a heartbeat.
View Quote
I'm in my hotel right now and have been driving my rental in every day. They even know I'm staying in a hotel but still signed out a barracks room as well.

Only thing they've said about it is where to park and to not drive yourself to training events.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Any updates from anyone in the onboarding process?

We are hurting for people at KAF, and we heard that people are inbound, but that was as specific as we ever got from the grapevine.

I could use about six more ASGs in my section right this minute.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Any updates from anyone in the onboarding process?

We are hurting for people at KAF, and we heard that people are inbound, but that was as specific as we ever got from the grapevine.

I could use about six more ASGs in my section right this minute.
View Quote

Not sure about KAF but i know we are pulling everything out of 82 and most of the mission equipment that was slatted to AFG, is now coming our way
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Last week we were told that CRC isn't even taking reservations yet. I have a feeling it's going to be an utter mess

Our program has a bunch of people stuck all over the place. They're trying to work out a way to skip CRC entirely. Fortunately I don't need to go back for a while.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Last week we were told that CRC isn't even taking reservations yet. I have a feeling it's going to be an utter mess

Our program has a bunch of people stuck all over the place. They're trying to work out a way to skip CRC entirely. Fortunately I don't need to go back for a while.
View Quote

Oh, yeah. The companies over here at KAF are all eating the ass out of each other, headhunting all over the place. Lots of people jumping ship to better pay/rotations and living conditions.

We got six people pulled from our section to fill three new contracts on other FOBs, and now we're scrambling for replacements.

Looks like we are in for a busy time in the next several months.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Oh, yeah. The companies over here at KAF are all eating the ass out of each other, headhunting all over the place. Lots of people jumping ship to better pay/rotations and living conditions.

We got six people pulled from our section to fill three new contracts on other FOBs, and now we're scrambling for replacements.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Heh, I jumped ship in October of last year... I was supposed to deploy in November but have been delayed for various reasons until now. If I'd gotten stuck where I was, self-harm would have been a distinct possibility
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Is it still at Camp Atturbury? That place is a shitshow. Press your company for your 1172 BEFORE you go to CRC, the ugly truth is once you have your CAC you can just roll out to the theatre. Fuck their travel. Fuck their PARC policy. You dont need your medical file AT ALL.

The last 2 times I went to atturbury they tried to fuck me. I rage quit and left both times. I had that freedom because I got my CAC by walking into a local guard unit with an 1172 before I went to CRC.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

It's not just CRC. Our program sends DOD civvies direct via comm-air. All medical, CAC, and pre deploy stuff done on our installation, skipping CRC entirely. All OCONUS travel for our installation is still shut down. People stuck over there, people waiting to go over, families pissed bc their loved one was supposed to be home over 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:26:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#29]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:
Is it still at Camp Atturbury? That place is a shitshow. Press your company for your 1172 BEFORE you go to CRC, the ugly truth is once you have your CAC you can just roll out to the theatre. Fuck their travel. Fuck their PARC policy. You dont need your medical file AT ALL.
View Quote

It's at Ft. Bliss in El Paso at this time. Our companies use CRC for a free flight as far as I know

I was updated on Friday that CRC is now taking two weeks instead of one
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Don’t bring a whole lot of shit. If you can get it mailed later do so. Plenty of good restaurants on base if you don’t want to travel. And as much as this is common sense, bring some damn shower shoes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:08:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#31]
Just as an FYI, if you have the option to go to DPC-W at Camp Pendleton instead of CRC at Bliss, do it. Way, WAY more laid back and takes about 3 days instead of 1-2 weeks. Plus, you have to have a hotel, so no nasty barracks, and you can do whatever you want during downtime (of which there's a lot).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top