User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 10/13/2022 8:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You got some nice shots. I need to stitch together some for our last Cozumel trip. Got some good octopus shots at night.

Still need to get to Bonaire. Diving in Curaçao is very similar (including the rocky beach entries), but without the easy ring road and access that Bonaire has.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
We liked distillery and pink flamingos. Wife did not like 3" scorpion while she was indisposed in toilet. I was on scorpion check for two hours after just looking for them. Found out later they glow under black light. Wildlife guy said he wished he had the specimen. Hell I didn't know how hard you had to hit one to kill it. Not very hard is the answer with sandal. We traveled to all the A B C islands fun trip.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice report.

Surprised you just got nitrox certified.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Some great pics. Turtle is just posing for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If you go back, look into Buddies Dive Resort. Your room comes with a truck so you can explore the various sites around the island on your own terms, of course tanks are provided. Bonaire and Roatan are the best diving in this hemisphere.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the vid - I was smiling just watching that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm late to the party, but one thing,  there is a LOT of boat diving on Bonaire,  not just shore dives.  Several west coast sites are boat only, of course Klein is as well. A few exceptions aside, the east coast is best done by boat as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm heading there in early October.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
If you go back, look into Buddies Dive Resort. Your room comes with a truck so you can explore the various sites around the island on your own terms, of course tanks are provided. Bonaire and Roatan are the best diving in this hemisphere.
View Quote

How does Cozumel stack up?

The wife and I are headed to Bonaire for the first time this October, and then I'll start looking to plan a spring trip somewhere.  Thinking Roatan or Cozumel, or maybe Bonaire again....
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By markmars:
I'm heading there in early October.
View Quote

No joke?  Wife and I are as well.  I'll send you a PM, would be cool to link up with another ARFer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I've been to Cozumel a bunch and it's hands-down my favorite place to dive. The underwater topography is so varied that you feel like you're diving in different places. Plus, I'm still awed every dive on Palancar; I just can't get enough of seeing it.
View Quote

What are the depths like and also any abundance of sharks?

The reason I ask is that my wife has less than ZERO desire to see sharks, and is not a huge fan of anything over 100'.  With more experience I think the comfort with depth will naturally form, but I don't think she will ever prefer to dive with sharks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:

What are the depths like and also any abundance of sharks?

The reason I ask is that my wife has less than ZERO desire to see sharks, and is not a huge fan of anything over 100'.  With more experience I think the comfort with depth will naturally form, but I don't think she will ever prefer to dive with sharks.
View Quote

I have over 100 dives on Bonaire and I've seen 1 shark, and it was quickly going to the other way. I saw more sharks in 1 dive in Eastern Mexico
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

I have over 100 dives on Bonaire and I've seen 1 shark, and it was quickly going to the other way. I saw more sharks in 1 dive in Eastern Mexico
View Quote

So far, that seems to be what everyone denotes about Bonaire - not many sharks.  Which is fine by me as well, haha.  I've only seen a few nurse sharks and a small black tip, all were in the eastern Caribbean.

I'm really hoping to fall in love with Bonaire and make this a regular trip.  From everything I've seen and heard so far, I really believe that is possible.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Bonaire's my happy place. Been there 4 times and want to go back again.

The secret's out now (to non-divers).   https://www.cnn.com/travel/bonaire-dutch-caribbean-moving-extended-stay/index.html

OP - I'm guessing you never dove Bachelor's Beach.  That's a very beachy/sandy entry/exit location.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I dove with Buddy Dive there in Bonaire, awesome diving, they explained to us that its so far south close to the equator that its kinda like a nursery for bigger animals,  If you dive further north like Grand Cayman ect, you see many more larger sharks, ect.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 3woodiii:
I dove with Buddy Dive there in Bonaire, awesome diving, they explained to us that its so far south close to the equator that its kinda like a nursery for bigger animals,  If you dive further north like Grand Cayman ect, you see many more larger sharks, ect.
View Quote

you can see the larger fish and stuff on the wild side of bonaire (east shore)
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top