Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2022 12:25:33 PM EDT
I have heard the new Assault Weapons Ban will be in committee this week, and pushed through the House for approval. I am not seeing this  being talked about on the national news or this gun board. Does anyone have any information on this?. If it is passed by the House, can it be stopped by the Senate?. Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#1]
Well, we can see that you missed some critically important parts of civics class so let's start there:

This should answer your question.
Schoolhouse Rock - I'm Just a Bill

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Reddtv:
I have heard the new Assault Weapons Ban will be in committee this week, and pushed through the House for approval. I am not seeing this  being talked about on the national news or this gun board. Does anyone have any information on this?. If it is passed by the House, can it be stopped by the Senate?. Thanks for the information.
View Quote

Seems like you missed a number of posts this past week then.

What the AW bill says is just one of a dozen or so.

It will likely be approved by the degenerates in the House, and stopped in the Senate.  It is an obvious violation of the 2nd, Heller, McDonald and Bruen in any case.

And it would not be complied with, should it actually be signed into law.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
GD assures everyone this is dead on arrival in the Senate so I will assume those following this are up to date.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I say stop fighting.  Let go of the rope.

Let them pass everything - AWB, mag bans, pistol bans, ammo taxes - do it all.

Then see what happens.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I should have rephrased my question. I understand How bills become law. But heard the House (Dumbocrats) were going to fast track this and get it passes in the House. I was wanting opinions if it would be approved by the Senate or had a chance to become law. I had not heard any updates so appreciate the responses. Just because SCOTUS says it is unconstitutional will not stop the House or RINOS in the Senate from passing it and sending it to POTUS to sign. I do not trust our government to do the right thing for the people.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I should have rephrased my question. I understand How bills become law. But heard the House (Dumbocrats) were going to fast track this and get it passes in the House. I was wanting opinions if it would be approved by the Senate or had a chance to become law. I had not heard any updates so appreciate the responses. Just because SCOTUS says it is unconstitutional will not stop the House or RINOS in the Senate from passing it and sending it to POTUS to sign. I do not trust our government to do the right thing for the people.
View Quote

I think you answered your own question. SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional and it will be stricken down, not that it'll pass. Gotta love checks and balances.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
If congress passes it. Who will be the test subject and go to jail, and then file an appeal claiming SCOTUS stated this is unconstitutional. California, IL, NY has been violating US Citizens rights for years, and are still trying to find a way to ban assault weapons. They will still put you in jail if you possess one. Then you have to prove your not in violation of the law. If you roll through MA with a handgun you are licensed for in another state they will still put you in jail.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If congress passes it. Who will be the test subject and go to jail, and then file an appeal claiming SCOTUS stated this is unconstitutional. California, IL, NY has been violating US Citizens rights for years, and are still trying to find a way to ban assault weapons. They will still put you in jail if you possess one. Then you have to prove your not in violation of the law. If you roll through MA with a handgun you are licensed for in another state they will still put you in jail.
View Quote

Do you have to go to jail or simply be denied access to something constitutionally guaranteed? Then file against the federal agency denying you that, in this instance most certainly the AFT. Hello 1983 suit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:

Then see what happens.  
View Quote

Ask Cali how that has worked for them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I just saw on WGN in Chicago that it may get voted on tomorrow. A bunch of these assholes from Highland Park pushed for a Friday vote. I was wondering if there is a grandfather clause ?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#11]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:

Then see what happens.  
View Quote

People will bitch about it on social media and Internet forums for a couple months then comply.

People will price gouge the people who didn’t buy enough stuff before the ban.

Leftists will get even more extreme and everyone will continue doing nothing about it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the Bill text. https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1808/text

And yes it passed the house today.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
It passed in the House, 217 to 212 with 2 RINOs voting for it and 5 Dems voting against it. Here are the names and the story. https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/house-passes-hr-1808-assault-weapons-ban-2022-take-action-now
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#15]
People will bitch about it on social media and Internet forums for a couple months then comply.

People will price gouge the people who didn’t buy enough stuff before the ban.

Leftists will get even more extreme and everyone will continue doing nothing about it.

This is what happens when citizens are apathetic. Gun manufacturers and dealers will price gouge and hurt the hand that feeds them. And people will still buy their stuff. Citizens will become sheep. This might not get through in the Senate. But it could. Wake up America.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#16]
It won't! DOA!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Do we as free Americans really trust the Senate (The big boy part of congress) to do the right thing and vote this down. I do not believe we can trust them completely. We must pay attention. And vote in November.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

People on this website tend to be stupid or ignorant (ie. ballisticxlr). The Senate theoretically has the "nuclear option" to pass, as well as the ability to make a few amendments to the wording to get it to pass.  This is absolutely something to be concerned about but I do agree the chance is low that it will become law.

A bigger concern of mine is threads like this get little-to-no attention on the largest gun forum in existence. I'm guessing we have NRA types as mods.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Quantrills_Raiders:
The Senate theoretically has the "nuclear option" to pass, as well as the ability to make a few amendments to the wording to get it to pass.  
View Quote

Everything I've read never mentions the nuclear option.  I believe that's reserved for fiscal matters.  (I've read of a way to make the ban a fiscal issue and it wasn't too difficult)  I've read the bill requires 60 votes to get by the filibuster and it's unlikely that 10 guys from the right will join.  They may get 1 or 2, but if they were to get 10, well, that would mean the Chinese have their hooks in them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Yep!  Passed today….
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Sponsor:Rep. Cicilline, David N. [D-RI-1] (Introduced 03/11/2021)
Committees:House - Judiciary | Senate - Judiciary
Committee Meetings:07/20/22 10:00AM
Committee Reports:H. Rept. 117-442
Committee Prints:H.Prt. 117-60
Latest Action:Senate - 08/01/2022 Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.  (All Actions)
Roll Call Votes:There have been 2 roll call votes
View Quote

The Senate has done nothing with it yet, above quote copied from congress.gov today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
The Republicans need your money to pay their salaries as well as the Democrats. Congress will raise your taxes to the point most Americans will have a difficult time surviving. That's why they need 86 K new IRS Agents. The only way this happens without an uprising from the very few Americans that care, will be to confiscate your AR-15 Rife. Or make them illegal to own. The Senate needs this to pass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]
If the Democrats control the Senate (and it does look like they will). Will they pass a AWB? based on the House passing this prior to the mid terms. Or can they?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#24]
If the Democrats control the Senate (and it does look like they will). Will they pass a AWB? based on the House passing this prior to the mid terms. Or can they?

Thanks
View Quote
They would have to get it through the current 50/50 senate before the new congress is seated next year, which is unlikely since they don't have a filibuster-proof majority else they would have gotten it done by now.

When the new congress comes in next year, the slate gets wiped clean, so that house bill that passed a few months ago will be gone and they'd have to start over.  If the Reps take a majority in the house as it looks like they will, then it's unlikely a new bill will come forward and go anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
What he said.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#26]
With the 2 recent shootings, Biden is pushing hard to get this AWB passed before Jan. Getting a little worried as we have some disgruntled rinos in the Senate. I sure hope this doesn’t go anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#27]
President fucking potato brought it up again last night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top