Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2023 1:13:16 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

... wait, I just realized how old those pics are and how many I've added in the past few years.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The soldiers manual of common tasks.
From how to test if food is poisonous to building firing positions.
Also drinking a cup of kerosene will cure you of intestinal worms.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ranger handbook.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:33:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#3]
pre 1970 Boy Scout manuals.
Ditch Medicine
SAS manual

I'll look more later.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
SAS Survival Handbook is must have.  Although, I say that in humble recognition that your library exceeds mine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I see you have "When There is no Doctor" but I have "Where There is no Doctor". Not sure if they are the same. Also have "Where There is no Dentist" both by Hesperian Foundation. Hope to hell I never have to use either of them.

Also "Back to Basics", "Homesteading" "MiniFarming" and "The Backyard Homestead". I like "Simply Ready" as well for basic recipes from food storage type stuff.

My wife also has a bit of natural cures type books and several on birthing/home births.

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By scrooster:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86217/DSC01516_jpg-2781693.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86217/DSC01515_jpg-2781694.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86217/DSC01514_jpg-2781695.JPG

... wait, I just realized how old those pics are and how many I've added in the past few years.

What am I missing?
View Quote

How much of it have you actually read? Hopefully not as little as I have.

How much free time will you have to read up on how to do that stuff when you’re under the gun and supposed to actually be doing that stuff? When tomorrow’s daylight hours must by necessity be productive hours, and you don’t have stable electricity to read up on something the night before without burning precious battery or candle power...

Not being snarky. Having the book is better than nothing. But it’s sorta easy to treat the knowledge contained in those books like a case of ammo that you’re always going to have available for later and completely neglect the actual training/learning that is necessary to convert the knowledge from potential to kinetic.

There’s likely to be a day when the knowledge has to be brought to bear right then, and there’s no timeout to be called so we can go read up on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I've read through most of them, some cover-to-cover every page, others I flip through looking for new ideas I've never seen before.

I keep them all for reference material incase of shtf.

I have many more since those pics were taken.

Having spent many many many nights in the woods all over the world, both in the military and teaching my wife and kids, I'm fairly adept at surviving, hunting, fishing, woodsmanship, etc., but the books do teach something although sometimes it's redundant.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Survival Nurse
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I love going to thrift stores and picking these books up on the cheap !
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scrooster:
I've read through most of them, some cover-to-cover every page, others I flip through looking for new ideas I've never seen before.

I keep them all for reference material incase of shtf.

I have many more since those pics were taken.

Having spent many many many nights in the woods all over the world, both in the military and teaching my wife and kids, I'm fairly adept at surviving, hunting, fishing, woodsmanship, etc., but the books do teach something although sometimes it's redundant.
View Quote

Similar backgrounds. I've been picking up some DIY books, basic electrical, mechanical repair, plumbing, etc. I got on a kick with some good books on edible and medicinal plants, more about how to prepare and utilize.  I still think the old Fox Fire series is awesome, as are some of my primitive technology "how-to's". Much of the "old school" techniques that have been long forgotten are good sources of info when there is no electricity. The quality field medical and dental guides are also extremely beneficial. Oh, last few books have been on expedient communications, planning, and use (maximizing the Baofeng radio).

I'm to the point now, I need an apocalyptic event that keeps me at home without the Internet and allows me the time to actually go back through many of these books!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The  Last Hundred Yards -  The NCO’s  Contribution to Warfare
by Poole
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The member here who has the Alexandria library in pdf is the way I went.

Like 500GB of PDFs on everything. Pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have much of a library, but I did grab a copy of the Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook. It is less dense than a true medical textbook but still fairly technical and will force you to learn.  Might be worth a look.

Keep in mind that you need to read and digest medical information now so it's just a reference when you need it.  I do not expect to have the clarity of mind to understand this stuff in an emergency.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got the knots and ropework book
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I recommend adding some gardening books and books on edible/medicinal plants.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Bushcraft books. Ones that are oriented around thriving in the woods instead of “survival”.
Herbal medicine “a green beret guide”
Illustrated guide to edible plants.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Well now that the thread has necroed.

"Deep Survival: Who lives, who dies, and why" by Laurence Gonzales

Keep all the other books for reference, read this one to learn a totally new way of thinking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't see "Life After Doomsday" by Bruce Clayton.  (1981)  Thought that was a pretty good one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The Guerrilla's Guide To The Baofeng Radio

Suburban Defense: A cop's guide to protecting your home and neighborhood during riots, civil war, or SHTF

Suburban Warfare: A cop's guide to surviving a civil war, SHTF, or modern urban combat
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Backwoods Home Journal Anthology on USB.  2500 articles for $45.  Wife and I have been subscribers for years.  It isn't military, but has a lot of information on self-sufficiency, canning, gardening, edible plants, raising and butchering livestock, etc.  All in PDF format searchable by author, category, keyword, and title.  You can buy annual anthologies at the same website if you prefer hardcopy (and that's what we have, along with our current subscription).  Hardcopy is a lot more expensive than the USB and a whole lot bulkier, but doesn't require electricity or a computer to read either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:34:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearsmithy] [#21]
I'd add some more homesteading books. Things like gardening, butchering, canning, home preserving etc. And make sure you have a complete set of Peterson field guides (mammals, mushrooms, fish, medicinal plants).

ETA: "Nuclear War Survival Skills"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top