Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stock is 87% finished and is attached! It didn't go on perfectly straight but I didn't really expect it to Still need to do the buttplate and aesthetics like shaping it and a stain.

Any suggestions on the stain? I'm thinking just used motor oil but then it'll just get so damn nasty

After I do the buttplate it's onto the pistol grip

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160551078-2-178807.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160714252-2-178809.JPG

]
View Quote
Big plug of tobacco, work it up good, then rub it all over the stock. Seriously. Or wait til fall and do the same with a half rotted black walnut husks.
Have done a few stocks this way, followed by boiled linseed oil.

Strong work OP!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm so in.

Btw, OP use a rounded rasp to gouge out the majority of fill around the buffer pipe   Then wrap the pipe in ~80 grit or similar and fit it that way.

Edit:  Nevermind.  You could have at least used pipe banding instead.
View Quote
Yeah............I spent like an hour trying to cut the trough with my ancient, dull rasp and only got down ~1/16". At the very moment I proceeded to say "fuck this shit" and went ahead with attaching it didn't use pipe strap due to being too thin IMO
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey op.

For a grip, maybe weld 2 flat bars and duck tape.

Or a certain size pipe and duct tape.

Or cloth.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey op.

For a grip, maybe weld 2 flat bars and duck tape.

Or a certain size pipe and duct tape.

Or cloth.
View Quote
Hmmmmmmm....That may just be the ticket. It'd be a metric fuck ton less work than wood

Not to mention I loathe woodworking
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stock is 87% finished and is attached! It didn't go on perfectly straight but I didn't really expect it to Still need to do the buttplate and aesthetics like shaping it and a stain.

Any suggestions on the stain? I'm thinking just used motor oil but then it'll just get so damn nasty

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160551078-2-178807.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160714252-2-178809.JPG

ETA: progress since the last update doesn't look like much but it was a FUCKING B I T C H to get the bands tight. Rear one is tight AF, front isn't....Both are getting welded this evening once I get access to a tig

Does it count that the particular trigger group I used didn't work and I had to spend an hour and a half filing and polishing so it'd reset?
View Quote
Those metal bands are going to rip the hell out of your post-apocalyptic beard.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
A little bondo would pretty her up nicely. Keep it coming OP, enjoying!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to everyone for the kind words! I haven't had this much building something in a while

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: progress since the last update doesn't look like much but it was a FUCKING B I T C H to get the bands tight. Rear one is tight AF, front isn't....Both are getting welded this evening once I get access to a tig

Does it count that the particular trigger group I used didn't work and I had to spend an hour and a half filing and polishing so it'd reset?
Shhhhhbhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I want the pain to be a surprise
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah............I spent like an hour trying to cut the trough with my ancient, dull rasp and only got down ~1/16". At the very moment I proceeded to say "fuck this shit" and went ahead with attaching it didn't use pipe strap due to being too thin IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm so in.

Btw, OP use a rounded rasp to gouge out the majority of fill around the buffer pipe   Then wrap the pipe in ~80 grit or similar and fit it that way.

Okay, I need to see this rasp   I've never heard of one that got that freaking dull. 

Btw, for the grip.  2 sections of flat steel cut to fit the corner of where the grip normally attaches.  Countersunk (or not) screw holes or button head machine screws, and brass/whatever threaded spacers cut to fit.  I'd do 4 of them.  Midway and bottom corners, plus screwed through the grip attachment spot.  Wrap in paracord you got muddy/dusty. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]
This is fucking awesome. What's your total investment, time and money?

Would be funny to wait until a free state does a buy back and try to negotiate $1000 for it. Hidden camera. Post vid. Win all around.

Would definitely be in ARF H.O.F.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
pretty cool
looking forward to seeing it complete
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for awesomeness.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Okay, I need to see this rasp   I've never heard of one that got that freaking dull. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm so in.

Attachment Attached File

It works fine on say a corner but I couldn't get it to bite at all when working the channel
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-165812887-2-178856.JPG

It works fine on say a corner but I couldn't get it to bite at all when working the channel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm so in.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-165812887-2-178856.JPG

Huh, it doesn't look too horrible.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is fucking awesome. What's your total investment, time and money?

Would be funny to wait until a free state does a buy back and try to negotiate $1000 for it. Hidden camera. Post vid. Win all around.

Would definitely be in ARF H.O.F.
View Quote
The lower alone was ~$25 for the kit, already had the 1" black pipe but it runs $20/48" at the hardware store, cap was like $2, dowel cost me like $5. Already had the trigger. Under $2 for the hardware.

Hours wise I'm probably around 15

I'll probably have $500 into the upper once it's done. I don't think I'll make my own handguards. Going to attempt the upper itself but IDK how I'm going to do it realistically without access to a mill and lathe

That being said if someone wants to take a crack at the upper receiver for beer cost, I'd be down
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the best thread I've seen in quite some time.  OP wins an internet!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go back to sitting on your ass and doing nothing,just like me
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
@AJAX22

With you being the dude behind ProtoOrdinance and king of building weird shit like this, any suggestions
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Pistol grip coming along

Attachment Attached File

The "backstrap" is proving to be a bit more difficult....But I'll figure it out
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice!  You need to add a bag of bottle caps when it's done.

I got an upper for it, but it's not for sale!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice!  You need to add a bag of bottle caps when it's done.

I got an upper for it, but it's not for sale!
View Quote
Can you at least post a pic of said upper moar ideas wouldn't hurt

ETA: I may put one of these in the side of the stock

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Jesus OP, that thing looks like fucking shit. But I mean that as a compliment
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Jesus OP, that thing looks like fucking shit. But I mean that as a compliment
View Quote
The fact that I'm a trash welder actually helps in this case technically at this moment I could go out and fire it IF I had a carbine spring and buffer handy
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I like it. Good work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#25]
This is the coolest thing on GD in awhile.  Good work, OP.  

Tagged to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/164/0/14384025/il_570xN.1171403167_elhc.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you build that?
View Quote
No, they were built by a company in AZ during the 80's.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag337/SeanC/Frankenupper/fu2_zpsdgeen0ub.jpg
I've been wanting one of those for a LONG time. Would you be willing to take some detail pics of it inside and out? If I can do a square tubing upper that'd be INSANELY cool
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#30]
While digging through the junk I found two cores from oil filters that kinda fit inside each other....I may have just found my handguard

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

They weigh practically nothing and feel super strong....I wonder which ultralight AR guy will try to take them from me
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm tagging this, so you can't quit now.  

I think fallout themed stuff is awesome. I've been kicking around the idea of a flat spot build, or making tools to build a sheet metal ar. Lower and an upper out of tubing. (Trashcan ar?)
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#33]
This is so fucking rad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here. I think I've got a carbine spring/buffer in the parts bin. Let me know if you want it and I'll dig around.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
While digging through the junk I found two cores from oil filters that kinda fit inside each other....I may have just found my handguard

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-184541575-2-178959.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-184547071-2-178960.JPG

They weigh practically nothing and feel super strong....I wonder which ultralight AR guy will try to take them from me
View Quote
woah cool. Taggin this thread.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I think I have come up for a solution for the PG! Found some old used hose from one of the sprayers and some old paracord under a toolbox

What do y'all think?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I tend to put my thumb up along the side vs around the grip so I think this'll work pretty good. Feels good so far
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Same here. I think I've got a carbine spring/buffer in the parts bin. Let me know if you want it and I'll dig around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would help a lot! PM me how much you want for them!

@BillythePoet
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#38]
What accuracy you going for? Minute of garage door? Serious finish it already- its radical, 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What accuracy you going for? Minute of garage door? Serious finish it already- its radical, 
View Quote
In all honesty it *should* group just as good as any other 7.62x39 AR with a $100 barrel so if it does 2-3" I'll be ecstatic
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm....That may just be the ticket. It'd be a metric fuck ton less work than wood

Not to mention I loathe woodworking
View Quote
but you're so good at it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Luv the Johnson 41LMG-esque buttstock:
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't forget to wrap some copper wire on there to hold something on. Also needs a gnarly homemade bayonet on there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I love this thread.

You should leave it outside for a little while for some patina.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@BillythePoet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BillythePoet
If you show a finished product by 12/31/17, free. Otherwise it's $1000.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Dont like the rubber hose handle . Use an old kitchen knife and weld it in! And for the rear sight use a washer as a peep sight
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dont like the rubber hose handle . Use an old kitchen knife and weld it in! And for the rear sight use a washer as a peep sight
View Quote
Could use the aluminum handle from an old paint sprayer or other shop tool.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#47]
What are you going to use for the takedown pins?  I suggest using threaded bolts with wing nuts
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love this thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I love this thread.

Once I finish it I will. Gonna stuff the internals full of oily cotton balls and like coffee ground aging or something

Quoted:
Don't forget to wrap some copper wire on there to hold something on. Also needs a gnarly homemade bayonet on there.
I can do that....Maybe to "connect" the separate pieces of the handguard

How does a sharpened piece of rebar that was buried in my yard that I rebury for a few months?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pistol grip coming along

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-180446695-2-178905.JPG

The "backstrap" is proving to be a bit more difficult....But I'll figure it out
View Quote
You should get a piece of leather, get a soft tape and measure over the top of the buffer tube from the center of the bolt on one side to the center on the other side, then put some grommets in the leather on those marks and drape it across the top of the buffer tube and grab it through the grommets with the bolts. That would look cool and protect your face a little. Just leave a little material around the grommets and trim it flat from and back.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BillythePoet
Deal! I'll PM you in a bit
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top