Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 23
Next Page
12/13/2017 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
1 1/4 qr clevis pins are too long. However 1 inch barrel nuts work well. Will post up more info when not on my phone.
12/13/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking I'd just chop the extra length of the clevis pin off w/ a Dremel.
12/13/2017 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have a quick review on the $199 complete uppers from Classic Firearms?  Considering getting one to finish out my other lower.
12/14/2017 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Have 2.  Haven't shot them yet.  Look like any other M4gery upper.  They're a tight fit on the Sabre Defense lowers, but everything's a tight fit on the Cav Arms Mk 2.

You want pics of a particular part?  I can tell you the bayonet lug is GTG.  
12/14/2017 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:
I was thinking I'd just chop the extra length of the clevis pin off w/ a Dremel.
View Quote
These were the Quick Release detent ball versions.
12/14/2017 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
Anyone have a quick review on the $199 complete uppers from Classic Firearms?  Considering getting one to finish out my other lower.
View Quote
here

The one I received in 7.62X39 had a rusty bore, and so did several others, but they shoot well and the current batch seems to have the issue straightened out.
12/14/2017 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:  These were the Quick Release detent ball versions.
View Quote
Ah.  My ball detent pins from Home Depot were slightly oversize, so just pushing them into the Sabre Defense lower required effort - let alone trying to get them into an upper.
12/14/2017 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
@Doorman63

Quote History
Quoted:  Here’s a $200 complete upper.
Just needs a rear sight

https://www.classicfirearms.com/bearcreekarsenalupperar15assbly
View Quote
In recognition of the above post, which caused Classic Firearms to sell out & have to frantically reorder, I nominate Doorman63 as Rookie of the Year.

Log out & log back in, bud.  Merry Christmas!

12/14/2017 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
@Doorman63

In recognition of the above post, which caused Classic Firearms to sell out & have to frantically reorder, I nominate Doorman63 as Rookie of the Year.

Log out & log back in, bud.  Merry Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHVIVNoIPVM
View Quote
@backbencher

Thank you sir!

Of course I never bought one myself.......
12/15/2017 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:  Are you back in the area?  Sending a PM...
View Quote
See you Tuesday.
12/15/2017 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one of my LPKs today and there's a bit of fockery going on. IDK if this is a known thing, but do I need a special hammer pin? Because it seems a tad short. Also, what size roll pin for the buffer retainer?

Attached File


Attached File


Also, if you're left handed and want a lefty safety selector. Abandon that idea right now because it's not easy pushing it through from right to left.
12/16/2017 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
No, you're good on the hammer pin.  The J-spring will keep it in place.

For the buffer retaining pin retaining pin, you can just use a paperclip.  Cut it to length and dab a bit of Loctite @ each end.  GWACS or Cav Mfg will sell you the correct rollpin - think they're about $2 shipped.  Or check Home Depot or Lowe's.
12/16/2017 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:
I got one of my LPKs today and there's a bit of fockery going on. IDK if this is a known thing, but do I need a special hammer pin? Because it seems a tad short. Also, what size roll pin for the buffer retainer?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195976/2017-12-15_20-392134.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195976/2017-12-15_20-392135.JPG

Also, if you're left handed and want a lefty safety selector. Abandon that idea right now because it's not easy pushing it through from right to left.
View Quote
The pin is a common size listed somewhere in this thread. The harbor freight pin kit has it in it too.
12/16/2017 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:
The pin is a common size listed somewhere in this thread. The harbor freight pin kit has it in it too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got one of my LPKs today and there's a bit of fockery going on. IDK if this is a known thing, but do I need a special hammer pin? Because it seems a tad short. Also, what size roll pin for the buffer retainer?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195976/2017-12-15_20-392134.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195976/2017-12-15_20-392135.JPG

Also, if you're left handed and want a lefty safety selector. Abandon that idea right now because it's not easy pushing it through from right to left.
The pin is a common size listed somewhere in this thread. The harbor freight pin kit has it in it too.
The buffer retainer pin is 5/64 x 1".
12/16/2017 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Built my first two using the cheap $200.00 uppers from Classic.
Chopped the sight off of the gas block on one and put on a free float handguard.
I had trap door butt plates and need to order some non trap door ones. Has anyone used something other than a AR butt plate in these?

Attached File
12/16/2017 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Quoted:
Built my first two using the cheap $200.00 uppers from Classic.
Chopped the sight off of the gas block on one and put on a free float handguard.
I had trap door butt plates and need to order some non trap door ones. Has anyone used something other than a AR butt plate in these?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263282/BAE5E6D9-4627-4A36-B876-F98F15A71440-392612.JPG
View Quote
Have you shot your uppers yet? What’s your thoughts on them? Seriously considering getting one.
12/17/2017 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#17]
All I did was function test them. Both of them go bang and function as you would expect. Will not be able to shoot them for a group at 100 and 200 yards until next week.
12/18/2017 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, lookie here:

Attached File


Attached File
12/18/2017 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Buttstock condom?
12/18/2017 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Attached File
12/18/2017 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:

See you Tuesday.
View Quote
@backbencher

12/18/2017 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there consensus yet on the best alternative to purchasing the "official" takedown pins? Has anyone had any luck with something cheaper?
12/18/2017 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I haven't shot em yet, but just about any 1/4" pin from Home Depot or Lowes will work.
12/18/2017 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Shoot me a text tonight, wouldja?  I'm thinking 1600ish?
12/18/2017 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Walmart carries them in black-but that's a good idea on what to try!
12/19/2017 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Quoted:

Walmart carries them in black-but that's a good idea on what to try!
View Quote
Bought that at WallyWorld years ago when they still sold guns in town.
12/19/2017 1:15:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Quoted:

Shoot me a text tonight, wouldja?  I'm thinking 1600ish?
View Quote
Just read this at 2313hrs.   Any time is good, just let me know.
12/19/2017 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Hope it's you I'm texting @ this hour.
12/19/2017 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:
Hope it's you I'm texting @ this hour.
View Quote
I was already offline dealing with sick kids. I'll send you a p.m. through here.
12/19/2017 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I let my ARFBOX fill up, and just cleared it out.  See you this afternoon.
12/20/2017 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Now I'm part of the cool kids club
12/20/2017 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Quoted:  Now I'm part of the cool kids club
View Quote
Lemme see!  Lemme see!  
12/20/2017 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Have we done this yet?

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/m215rk010.htm



With a $40 Anderson you're @ $350 before shipping, with a rail no less.
12/21/2017 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I just ordered a pistol kit from ceratac.com. $ 249 complete kit, minus lower with dick mod rail. I spent the $9.99 to upgrade to mlok. I'll have an idea of the quality once it comes in.
Ceratac
ETA: Oh and free shipping as well
12/21/2017 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Even better!  Back down to $300:

$249 kit

12/21/2017 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, my BIL and I got two Sabre lowers completely assembled onto Classic uppers this afternoon, and got a good start on the 3rd.  Took us about 3 hours.  He's a machinist, and has built a few ARs before, but not on this lower.

We all knew when we put uppers on em, the Sabre lowers were TIGHT.  Turns out, they're not just tight to the upper.  They're tight in the LRBHO well, and the FCS well.  Not a bad thing, just have a file & a Dremel handy.

On the LRBHO, you may have to do a bit of sanding if the fit of the two halves of the lower didn't align perfectly in the welding process.  Don't forget to trim the spring as Sinistral has told us in his video.

With the safety, the holes may be misaligned.  One solution is to hold the lower up on a drill press and turn it on, and run it up & down the bit a couple of times.  The safety will then turn freely.

DON'T get your detents mixed up.  That means tapping out the safety again, which can push out the wall of the safety detent and bind against the trigger.  We were able to fix it, but try not to have to remove the safety.

You'll probably have to Dremel some amount of material out of the sides of the FCS pocket.  I'm trying to put in a $100 chassis trigger, and having to take several passes with the Dremel to get enough plastic out to fit the thing.  I'll try to take some pics and put them up later.
12/21/2017 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#37]
The drill press trick is a good way to test GWACS' $35 warranty.  

3 seconds on the drill press and I wallowed out the right side safety hole to the point the safety was sloppy.  Next Tulsa show I'll drop it off.
12/23/2017 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I swapped out a mil-spec trigger in my Sabre lower to a Larue MBT and it's not wanting to reset if I hold trigger back after a good follow-through while I cycle the bolt.  If I safe it or smack the side of the lower it will reset.  It will also reset if I don't hold the trigger back.  It didn't do any of this in the standard lower it was in and the mil-spec that was previously installed in the Sabre lower didn't either.

Any ideas on how to solve it? Could the trigger well be a bit too tight?  Should I try some oil at the contact points with the trigger well sides?
12/23/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:  I swapped out a mil-spec trigger in my Sabre lower to a Larue MBT and it's not wanting to reset if I hold trigger back after a good follow-through while I cycle the bolt.  If I safe it or smack the side of the lower it will reset.  It will also reset if I don't hold the trigger back.  It didn't do any of this with the mil-spec.

Any ideas on how to solve it?
View Quote
Had the same issue w/ a mil-spec trigger not wanting to reset if I held it down.  Got into the FCS pocket w/ a Dremel & sanding drum, and the issue cleared up.
12/23/2017 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quote History
Quoted:
Had the same issue w/ a mil-spec trigger not wanting to reset if I held it down.  Got into the FCS pocket w/ a Dremel & sanding drum, and the issue cleared up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:  I swapped out a mil-spec trigger in my Sabre lower to a Larue MBT and it's not wanting to reset if I hold trigger back after a good follow-through while I cycle the bolt.  If I safe it or smack the side of the lower it will reset.  It will also reset if I don't hold the trigger back.  It didn't do any of this with the mil-spec.

Any ideas on how to solve it?
Had the same issue w/ a mil-spec trigger not wanting to reset if I held it down.  Got into the FCS pocket w/ a Dremel & sanding drum, and the issue cleared up.
Damn it.  Ok, thanks.

ETA: where all did you sand?  Where the trigger/hammer sides interface with the polymer?
12/24/2017 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Result of the veterans Day free Bear Creek barrel I got. Total of $187 in the upper, haven't decided on a muzzle device yet. If I complete one of the 80% lowers my brother gave me I should have the rifle complete(less optic) for just under $300.  Estimate is $325 if I say fuck the work and buy a lower.

And yes, the inside of the dustcover says Party On, Dudes!
12/24/2017 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quote History
Quoted:  Damn it.  Ok, thanks.

ETA: where all did you sand?  Where the trigger/hammer sides interface with the polymer?
View Quote
Yes.  Sanding drums on a Dremel cleared that right up.  Just sanded a bit until the trigger & hammer could drop in.

When I went to put the chassis trigger in, I had to use the little drums to get @ the front.  Was finally able to cram it in there, and happily the little screws fit the pins, despite the lock arms not fitting.
12/25/2017 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Quoted:
1 1/4 qr clevis pins are too long. However 1 inch barrel nuts work well. Will post up more info when not on my phone.
View Quote
@Tim_McBride

Got a chance to post photos and specs for the pins?
12/27/2017 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank You for this info.

A cheap build has allowed me to give my:
Son #1
Son #2
Son #3
Daughter
Brother
Nephew
Mom
Niece

An ar for Christmas.  $350 a no brainer easy Christmas gift and something they will have for long after I am gone. Did use the andersen lowers but for a 1st theyll get bye.

So 8 new California AR owners.

My oldest has had his all of 2 days and wants to build an ar10 now...
12/27/2017 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Glad they worked for you.  Merry Christmas!
12/29/2017 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Last parts for my build are ordered-thanks to the member way back who posted the Bear Creek free barrels, I have spent a total of $309.48 completing the rifle itself, $30 on a SPR style scope mount and the scope is yet to be decided. Could have gotten it down $50 cheaper if I'd milled out one of the 80% lowers my brother gave me free, but decided to save the work instead. The 80% might turn into a .22 in spring.
12/31/2017 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Prices just keep dropping folks!  Updated OP w/ new total before shipping/FFL fees - $280.

The Anderson @ Primary just dropped to $30, which bmw20 noticed:

http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-ar-15-a3

And Ceretac has their $250 kits back in stock:

https://www.ceratac.com/Carbine-Classic-Kit-80-p/kit-556-c-ck-u-blk.htm

That's with a KeyMod free-float rail, slicker than the $200 uppers @ Classic.
12/31/2017 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quote History
Quoted:
Prices just keep dropping folks!  Updated OP w/ new total before shipping/FFL fees - $280.

The Anderson @ Primary just dropped to $30, which bmw20 noticed:

http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-ar-15-a3

And Ceretac has their $250 kits back in stock:

https://www.ceratac.com/Carbine-Classic-Kit-80-p/kit-556-c-ck-u-blk.htm

That's with a KeyMod free-float rail, slicker than the $200 uppers @ Classic.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on these.  I had gifted my niece and nephew a couple of the $30 Anderson lowers for Christmas so my brother bought a fully upgraded kit for both of them. My nephew is especially excited.  We'll have a build party one day and let him get hands on.

I wish I could buy the upper by itself.  I have a complete upper I could use one on.

ETA: To hell with it.  I just sold a Glock.  I bought one with a 15" rail.  I'll build it and have some spare parts.  Too good a deal to pass up.  I'll have a complete rifle w/ rail and one of the new blem PA red dots for less than $400.

ETA2: Anyone have one of these already? Interested in what sort of quality to expect and what to tell my brother about them.
1/1/2018 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Happy New Year everyone.  Yes, Primary's back up to $40 & Ceretac's sold out again, so it's back to $350 on the Royal Tiger kit.  I'll edit the OP in a bit, not up to rearranging things w/ as little caffeine I've yet had in the New Year.
1/2/2018 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Back down to $290 before shipping today.  Ceretac kits are back in stock.  Primary still @ $40/lower, may as well get the enclosed trigger guard from Aim Surplus.

https://www.ceratac.com/Carbine-Classic-Kit-80-p/kit-556-c-ck-u-blk.htm

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 23
Next Page