Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2013 10:54:40 AM EDT
Can some one direct me on POA for this?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle holdover is 2.6 inches. Holdovers going out depend upon zero range. IE with a 25 yd zero, 10 yd holdover is 1.5 in. With a 50 yd zero, 10 yd zero is 2 inches.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
At close range, your holdover is determined by the distance from your bore to the scope center.  I'm talking about in close, say 5 yards, this will change as the distance is increased and trajectory begins to kick in.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking my ar + eotech zeroed@50 up close@10 I should hold over center 2/2.5". Sounds right?

When shooting at 100, I should hold 5"?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rye4271:
I'm thinking my ar + eotech zeroed@50 up close@10 I should hold over center 2/2.5". Sounds right?

View Quote

If you're hitting dead on at 50yds, you'll generally be hitting approx 1" to 1.5" high at 100yds.  At 25yds and closer, the holdover is approx 2" to 3" depending on scope type and how high it's mounted above the bore-line.  For practical application, when hosing headshots under 25yds, just hold the dot at the top of the head and the bullets will strike near the center.  Same deal if you're shooting clays with rifle (not that common, but I've seen it in some matches), just hold the dot on top of the clay if you're within 25yds.    

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Fullauto_Shooter:

If you're hitting dead on at 50yds, you'll generally be hitting approx 1" to 1.5" high at 100yds.  At 25yds and closer, the holdover is approx 2" to 3" depending on scope type and how high it's mounted above the bore-line.  For practical application, when hosing headshots under 25yds, just hold the dot at the top of the head and the bullets will strike near the center.  Same deal if you're shooting clays with rifle (not that common, but I've seen it in some matches), just hold the dot on top of the clay if you're within 25yds.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

then when shooting at 100, I should aim low and let trajectory take course?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

I'd recommend you aim dead-on at 100yds, assuming typical 3-gun match conditions and only a 1" off-set.  If you're going for very precise shots (like a dot-drill), then yes - you'd need to aim approx 1" to 1.5" low at 100yds.  NOTE - these drop figures are only approximate; for optimal results I recommend you take the rifle out and see where she actually prints at the different yardages.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
No time to try it, my match is tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
This came up at a local match this past weekend.

Rather than try to memorize hold overs at close range, I just remember that my crosshair is 2-3/4" above the center of the bore and at 50 yards bullets hit 1/2" low.  (My red dot is 2-3/8" above the bore.)

Disregarding trajectory ( I just assume the bullet travels in a straight line) I just take half the distance to give me a close estimate on short range hold overs.

At 25 yards, point of impact is half way between  -2-3/4" and  -1/2" or  -1-5/8".

Split the distance in half again to 12.5 yards and its halfway between  -2-3/4" and  -1-5/8"  or  -2-1/8".

One more time to 6-1/4 yards and it halfway between -2-3/4" and 2-1/8" or just under -2-1/2".

Verified at the range to be close enough for "hoser" work.  In fact, did the "mental math" to hit a clay pigeon at about 3 yards last weekend.  One shot, one hit.  Others were not so lucky.

Bill

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:
You really need to go shoot from 1-100 yards in 10 yard increments and see it all for yourself.
View Quote

Also depends on your reticle.  I have a relatively large reticle so I can simply remember aim at the top of the reticle/bottom of the reticle based on the distances.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]

You really need to go shoot from 1-100 yards in 10 yard increments and see it all for yourself.  That is how I really got it all to set in.
View All Quotes
No time to try it, my match is tomorrow.

You really need to go shoot from 1-100 yards in 10 yard increments and see it all for yourself.  That is how I really got it all to set in.

yep

you need to do your homework( range work) and know your hold-overs

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Genin] [#12]
There are no brilliant ideas night before a big match.

In other words, your dope (data on previous engagements) should be dialed in well before a big match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top