Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2020 5:29:48 PM EDT
Using this setup for long range comp. I'm shooting a 77gr SMK with 8208 XBR out of a Wylde Barrel. Getting around 2880 fps. I have a Lightweight BCG and running a Vltor A5 with hyperfire hypertouch trigger. Gun runs great until it gets gummed up. Seems to happen at around 120 rounds. It sucks when I forget to clean it and start getting light primer strikes in the middle of a stage. Is this normal for a Wylde Barrel? Could messing with the gas, buffer spring or BCG help anything? Anybody have experience with this?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the only problem light strikes?  Is it jamming, misfeeding, double-feeding, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Mainly light strikes. If it doesn't cycle the round isn't very easy to get out. I have to use both hands on the charging handle. It gets really gummed up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It's gummed up enough the BCG won't go into battery. I can use the forward assist as soon as it starts happening, but it's hit and miss after a couple more rounds. Soon as I clean it, the gun runs fine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DanaHillen] [#4]
I don't see that as a Wylde chamber problem.............

I have several Wylde chambered ARs with no problems like you describe........but I don't handload anymore.....

To clarify..........I don't use that powder/ bullet combination.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a common combo and I know a bunch of guys who run it with no problems. I was hoping if it was a common problem with the barrels I could find out before I went messing with the system and spending countless rounds doing it. Guess I could just clean it between stages.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I used 8208xbr with 69/77 gr. Sierra and Nosler bullets never had any bad issues. What lube are you using?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I use different kinds. Mostly samples I picked up at shot. Only use a few drops and always get the same result. The cases are super dirty too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to be clear... are we saying that the round won't seat in the chamber due to soot in the chamber but we are sure that particular round is correctly sized?

If you are sure it sized correctly, and that once that chamber is clean the rig runs well, then I would wonder if the gun is gassed properly or if there is something funny with the buffer or BCG balance.

A Wylde chamber is the most common variation in Service Rifle competition and I know guys who don't clean their rigs for over 250 rounds. By itself, the Wylde and load recipe don't sound wrong.

We have to dig deeper.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll start tinkering with the system. I read a post from a while back and I was hoping to get a little more clarification from a few more sources if this was true of the barrel. Here is the original post link. https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Any_reason_NOT_to_go_with_a__223_Wylde_chamber_/12-664199/

And here are a couple posts/opinions.

"This.

Wylde has tighter tolerences than a 5.56 chamber and therefore is potentionally more prone to reliability issues with heavy fouling or dirty environmental conditions, more difficulty extracting, etc.  

I doubt you'll ever notice a difference on the range, but for combat / extreme use it might become an issue.  If having a 5.56 chamber was the difference between avoiding one potential battlefield failure, it's worth it!"

"Wylde chamber is a specialty chamber intended for competition precision rifles and for very long bullets like the 80gr Sierra.

A true Wylde chamber has an interference fit at the throat.  Depending on the exact shape of the particular bullet, you can have bullets which are in contact with the throat when chambered.  If that happens, it's difficult to extract a live round and you generally have to "mortar" the rifle.  You do need to clean the barrel more frequently to prevent/remove copper or carbon fouling, as even a small amount of buildup could cause a reliability issue.

I would recommend choosing a chamber with a little larger throat than the Wylde design for a general purpose, hunting, action competition or defensive rifle."

It might just come down to I need to clean my chamber and barrel more.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Run it wet.  ARs start to fail at about 150 rounds or so, when dry.  CLP on the bolt and carrier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top