Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2022 10:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67]
Please critique my thoughts and correct them; I am new to this so trying to figure it out.  I am interested in Service Rifle competition.  We went to a CMP class and 4pt EIC shoot last weekend and really enjoyed it.  Now I am thinking about an economical way to build a gun for it.

I have a line on a RR varmint very affordably. It is stock as it came from RR: A2 grip, 2-stage trigger, SS varmint barrel 223 Wylde, A2 buttstock, FF guard.  The guard has no sling provision and it is an older round one and not the newer rail/mlok style.

I am *thinking* I could:

a) mount sling stud/loop, get leather sling
b) change hogue grip to A1 grip
c) Change A2 solid stock to A1 solid stock (personal preference)
d) Get best budget optic I could.

Does the varmint barrel meet the new rules? It seems to me it does from what I can find.

Does this sound reasonable? I don't have a big budget for this, However, I have an extra carbine I could sell to free up funds, and I do reload so I can keep ammo costs reasonable w/decent quality.

I would also need to figure out the best budget optic for this within the rule limits.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Details on carbine?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Details on carbine?
View Quote

Just a S&W sport, nothing exciting.  I have an m4gery (WW), pistol, and another lw carbine build, so it's superfluous.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The rifle has to externally look like a USGI rifle in profile, i.e. 20" gov't pattern barrel (what is out of sight under the hand guard does not matter--hence the Hbar being legal), trigger 4.5# minimum, A2 fsb, etc., etc. Receiver can be A1, A2 or A4 with carry handle or optic (4.5x max). It's all spelled out in the NRA and CMP high power rule books.
Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top