Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2018 3:53:48 PM EDT
So I went ahead and signed up for the KM precision DMR match. It is designed for small and large frame AR15s. I like that it’s taking me outside of my comfort zone. It also forces me to make a purpose for my equipment....otherwise my rifle is a range toy and paper puncher from the bench.

Event Description

It will have targets from 5-600 yards. I’ve done 2-3 rifle matches (basically the rifle only portion of a 3-Gun match that a local club hosts). My local range only goes out to 200yards but I have some outings to test my setup out to 600 soon.

What I have going for me....
—I’m confident my rifle is solid....18in White Oak upper, 2.5-10 Vortex Viper PST, Geissele SSA-E, etc.....
—I’ve developed my dope and holdovers using a buddies fancy kestrel.
—I’m confident my ammo choice is solid...77gn IMI and it’s proven at least MOA capable if I do my job.
—that’s about it....

Negatives....
—never shot past 200yards ( I will soon )
—little match experience
—not very comfortable with awkward shooting positions
—have I mentioned I’ve never shot past 200yards
—I currently only have the 2.5-10 and no buis or offset red dot.

What are some pointers you can give me?  What equipment will I need to make my experience better?  I’m open to any and all advice!!!

Thanks!

J
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Putting you outside your comfort zone, good stuff. I was going to say have good dope, but you have that already (although it would be better to have DA charts, whatever the case you should be close). Equipment looks good. DO NOT focus on the fact that you haven't shot past 200 yards, it's not really hard as long as you maintain the fundamentals, and if you focus on your inexperience you'll only make yourself nervous.  Watch the wind and talk to people; most at the match will tell you their thoughts on the wind, especially if you identify yourself as a newbie. Beforehand practice a few odd positions: barricade, off a tire, off your pack, anything.  Have a rear bag or better yet a GameChanger bag. Good luck!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe in you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You NEED ballistic arc by geo ballistics.  Full personal e data book and load information.  Do you know where the range is? You can pre make rangecards with dope plugged in.
It’s been the biggest change in my pr game.
Standard version should be free.  I bought their Bluetooth wind meter.  It’s amazing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your dials and holdovers are accurate.  I did the tall target test and found out my scope was off by a significant amount.  I tried to adjust by changing the correction factor but I will be send my scope back to Bushnell.   Practice funking shooting positions too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Practice in the wind,True your rifle at 500-600 yards if that's all you will be shooting. By that I mean don't trust your chrono or factory bullet BC rating only.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Ballistic software is an excellent tool to have, however, as others are saying it is important to ensure the computer is accurate to your current setup. Often times you will find inconsistencies between what the computer says you will hit at say 600M and what you actually hit at. BUT, wind is and always will be the #1 unknown factor in anything long range. Practice calling wind, and shooting in unorthodox positions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top