Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2017 4:04:50 PM EDT
Prior to joining this forum, I had been doing a lot of googling and reading, and had concluded that the Mossberg JM 930 Pro was my best choice for 3-gun.  But after seeing a couple of threads about it here, I'm not so sure.  So I thought I'd post and ask.  Is there anything else I should consider?  If I went with the 930, should I get the 22 or 24" model?  I was googling looking for the higher capacity tubes to bring it up to 12 rounds and the places I found mentioned an 18" model which isn't listed on the Mossberg site.  So again, I thought I'd ask here. :)

Thanks!!!

Rob
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The JM doesn't have the greatest of reputations as you state.

It comes down to $ as the alternatives are more costly.

I bet the bullet and went with the Benelli M2 3Gun.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy crap... $2500!!!  What would it cost to upgrade a 930?  Easier to do that over time than to come up with $2500 all at once... yikes. :)
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
A 930 should be perfectly fine for a typical 3-gunner.  Several of my friends use them, and I actually have a new, unfired JM930 sitting in my safe.  Just haven't gotten around to shooting it.

If/when I finally get off my butt and try 3-gun, it'll either be the JM930 or my M4 with the Carrier Comp tube extension.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:28:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike92GT] [#4]
I'm running a Stoeger M3000 and have no complaints.  I did switch to the Benelli extractor when I started getting some FTE's around the 1k round mark.  I have the 24" barrel with a Nordic +8 for 12+1 capacity, works great.  Also look at the Franchi Affinity or Browning A5.  Both are good options and will be quite a bit cheaper than a Benelli.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a JM 930 pro

I have put about 700 shells through it so far with no issues.

cons to the JM 030
1. it isHUGE it is about 3.5feet long fully loaded it is a heavy beast.

I precieve it has more kick than a semi auto that size should.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RobGADV:
Holy crap... $2500!!!  What would it cost to upgrade a 930?  Easier to do that over time than to come up with $2500 all at once... yikes. :)
View Quote
I assume that's for the M2.

I said I bit the bullet.

$1,800 on Gun Broker.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I see some Mossbergs that run (and there are tricks and upgrades that help). I see some Mossbergs that are jamomatics. Roll the dice. Unfortunately a lot of newbies buy them because of the price, and get discouraged because they are constantly struggling with malfunctions.

I have three Remington Versa Max shotguns, and they are very reliable. About all you need to add is a welded carrier ($45 and a couple of weeks turnaround at C-Rums) and maybe a magazine extension. The VM Sportsman models can be had for under $800 (EXAMPLE). As for barrel length, most Tactical or Limited division competitors will want a 12-shot magazine tube, so barrel length is immaterial... 26" will give you a good sight radius for slugs. If you want the shotgun to do double-duty as a personal protection gun, get the VM Tactical which has a 22" barrel (price around $1050).

Other guns I see being very successful are the Benelli and the Beretta.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I think if you are looking for a budget 3gun shotgun, you want to look at the Stoeger M3k. As noted above, change to the Benelli extractor.
If you want to spend more, several good options have already been mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SuperSet72:
Personally I think if you are looking for a budget 3gun shotgun, you want to look at the Stoeger M3k. As noted above, change to the Benelli extractor.
If you want to spend more, several good options have already been mentioned.
View Quote
M3K can be hit-or-miss too. Iain Harrison ran one at SMM3G and it took a giant dump... he finished the match with my backup Versa Max Tactical (see the latest issue of RECOIL magazine for the sorry tale).

3-Gun shotguns is something where you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:

M3K can be hit-or-miss too. Iain Harrison ran one at SMM3G and it took a giant dump... he finished the match with my backup Versa Max Tactical (see the latest issue of RECOIL magazine for the sorry tale).

3-Gun shotguns is something where you get what you pay for.
View Quote
I'm sorry to hear about his Stoeger. The ones that I've shot and that are around me are still running, knock on wood.
I shoot a TTI Benelli M2 now but still, from my experience, the only shotgun that ever ran extremely well with the least amount of problems was my Beretta 1301 Competition.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:27:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vespid_Wasp] [#11]
You don't have to spend $2500 to get a Benelli.

Buy a used M2 off your local gun shop rack for $750.  Add a Nordic tube.  Either pay an expert to do your port work or VERY carefully do it yourself.

For the love of God use hand files or a mill, not a dremel.  It is probably best to send it to Mark Roth at RCI because if you screw up and take off the wrong material in the wrong place you can ruin your shotgun.  You don't need a massively hogged out port to load quickly and smoothly.

Under 1k if you do the port yourself.  Ballpark $1100 if you pay to have it done.

Don't have the bolt lightened.  It will actually reduce reliability with lighter shells and it is a rare shooter indeed who can actually outrun an inertia gun while actually shooting at targets.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:20:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#12]
I have run my JM 930 for about 2 years now.
I don't shoot lots of matches, maybe 10 or 15 in that time.
Have also run it through many rounds of Trap Shooting.
I would say it has about 2000-2500 rounds through it.

Before I even shot it, I replaced a couple things using OR3Gun parts.
Marine Tube Spacer
Follower
Recoil spring buffer
Approx $100 in upgrades.

I have only had 1 malfunction, but that one kind of sucked.
A couple months ago, the extractor broke off flush with the bolt face.
Luckily, it happened on the last stage of that match.

The next day (monday) I contacted Mossberg and got a replacement no charge in my hands by Thursday.
Simple install, no big deal.

Other than that, I have been very happy with it.
Shot my first 25/25 in trap with it.

Only thing special I do to it, is clean more often than I would a higher $$ setup.
Just to be sure it doesn't get carbon buildup on the tube.
I would say, every 500 rounds, which is probably going overboard.

All in, with upgrades I am about $700 into it and very happy.

ETA: Forgot about the upgraded lifter I got from SKYTac. Gotta weld your lifter or buy an upgraded one IMO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SD307:
I have a JM 930 pro

I have put about 700 shells through it so far with no issues.

cons to the JM 030
1. it isHUGE it is about 3.5feet long fully loaded it is a heavy beast.

I precieve it has more kick than a semi auto that size should.
View Quote
A buddy of mine has a 930 JM Pro.

He hasn't had any problems but they have earned a bit of a reputation for malfunctions.  That may be attributable to guys not cleaning them.

We shot them side by side with identical ammo.  

Shoot three rounds through one, pick up the other, shoot three rounds.

We both agreed.  His 930 shot softer than my Benelli with the birdshot we were using.  (Fiocchi)

However his 930 recoiled MORE with slugs. (Winchester)

I think a 930 can be fine for 3-gun.  But it probably comes with a few limitations.  

For similar money, myself I would always buy a Stoeger first.  I have become a big fan of inertia drive for a semi-auto shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
buy anything else, the 930 will give you a lot of problems.  I'd recommend a remington versamax tactical.  It has everything the versamax competition version has except the enlarged loading port.  Mine runs flawlessly and I shot over 500 rounds through it before I cleaned it the first time.

Loading is stiff, and you will want to do a little work on that.  I cut six inches or more off my mag spring and also worked on the shell catch quite a bit.  you should be able to pick one up for 900 to 1000
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDIC-0372] [#15]
I have a JM Pro and have had no issues with it.  I like it very much.  Shoots great.  The last couple big three gun match I went to there was a couple other JM Pro's and mine.  We had no issues at all with the JM Pro's but there were many other guns that has issues.  
The best thing for the JM Pro and others is to clean them...keep them clean.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I started with JM pro and was lucky enough to get one that runs. As long as I cleaned the gas piston/rings every 300-400 rounds I was fine. I put almost every OR3gun part I could on it and before and after the parts it seemed to run the same. I "upgraded" to the M3k and again have had zero issues. Major difference being I can run this one for 1k plus rounds before cleaning it seems and still haven't had more than a handful of stovepipe type situations that were quick to clear. I have a Hayes Custom M2 ordered I'm waiting on and the plan is to let me son start to run the M3k. JM930 has been painted purple for awhile now for my wife, she loves it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice looking JM Pro!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone mess with the blue spring in the barrel lug?
I can't find on the interwebs any mention of it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a JM Pro and have used it in many shoots and have never had any issues.  I think that it is a GREAT gun!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MEDIC-0372:
I have a JM Pro and have used it in many shoots and have never had any issues.  I think that it is a GREAT gun!!!
View Quote
If you read both threads thoroughly that you commented in, you might get the impression people have had issues, seen other people have issues or heard about it.
If the reputation of said SG was stellar, none of it would exist.
You coming in saying "mine is Great, perfect even" does not change anything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDIC-0372] [#21]
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:

If you read both threads thoroughly that you commented in, you might get the impression people have had issues, seen other people have issues or heard about it.
If the reputation of said SG was stellar, none of it would exist.
You coming in saying "mine is Great, perfect even" does not change anything.
View Quote
I did read the threads "thoroughly"...What is your point???

Am I not allowed to give my 2 cents???

Maybe you need to thoroughly read the OP.   The title asks, JM 930 Pro or something else.  I am giving my opinion and experience.  I have been in a few competitions where others have had JM Pros and they worked great.  In fact I have never seen one with any issues at all.  I have though seen many other shotguns have issues.  Am I saying that the JM Pro is better than anything else...no, just giving my experience.

By the way...where did I ever say "perfect"???
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#22]
You got me there, you didn't say perfect.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:51:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Young-Kiwi] [#23]
Originally Posted By MEDIC-0372:
I have a JM Pro and have had no issues with it.  I like it very much.  Shoots great.  The last couple big three gun match I went to there was a couple other JM Pro's and mine.  We had no issues at all with the JM Pro's but there were many other guns that has issues.  
The best thing for the JM Pro and others is to clean them...keep them clean.
View Quote
My knowledge is from friends who shoot the JM Pro, this brings up the key point. Keep Them Clean. If you do this, they don't seem to give any issues. Solid shotgun.
They are a good choice for 3-gun.

Personally I use a Versamax Tactical, that has had light work done to it. [Loading port, etc]
They too are a less popular, but solid choice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RobGADV:
Prior to joining this forum, I had been doing a lot of googling and reading, and had concluded that the Mossberg JM 930 Pro was my best choice for 3-gun.  But after seeing a couple of threads about it here, I'm not so sure.  So I thought I'd post and ask.  Is there anything else I should consider?  If I went with the 930, should I get the 22 or 24" model?  I was googling looking for the higher capacity tubes to bring it up to 12 rounds and the places I found mentioned an 18" model which isn't listed on the Mossberg site.  So again, I thought I'd ask here. :)

Thanks!!!

Rob
View Quote
The best entry gun is the 930 jm pro. I’ve been running a 24 in model. I got it for the extra round but eventually got a Nordic tube so now I can hold up to 13. I first shot a match with my 930 Spc which was rough due to lack of a choke. My buddy has the 22 in model and he could shove 9 in the tube. I didn’t believe him but I watched him muscle a 9th in. I have had zero problems with mine and i’ve shot quite a bit with it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Winchester or Browning autoloaders are very good.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I chose the Beretta 1301.  While maybe $2-300 more initially it is a great gun.  I also have a Stoeger 20ga set up for 3 gun and it has been great also at half the price.  I am not aware of what prices are today.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a JM Pro and it has worked flawlessly for me.

I watched Jerry's video on YouTube about cleaning and maintaining the JM 930 Pro.

I think some of the issues that people have had are due to cleaning and maintenance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top