Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2020 11:15:13 AM EDT
We got a S&W revolver in the other day from an Estate and had clearly been made into a PPC Revolver and I wondered to myself IF  people were still shooting that form of Competition.  
Back in the day it was the schizznetz.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m pretty active in action pistol, and we have no PPC shoots.  The brave ones use revolvers in those sometimes.

Thinking way back to 1983, PPC was my first gun game, but it was almost 100 mile drive one way.  Only did a couple.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpringfieldArmory:
Not too much, I lived in the Phoenix area most of my life, and there was a lot back in the late 80's, when I started my LE career.  I never shot it.  I did however shoot the Nationals last year in Mississippi.  The nationals moved back to Mississippi after it had been in NM for 20 plus years.  I think there were about 200 shooters last Nationals, with most being from the East Coast and Midwest.
View Quote

I came of age and really started shooting in the 80's and remember the PPC Revolvers being the hot thing.  I don't see a resurgence on the horizon, and it's too bad because many of these guns were slick, smooth, and a pleasure to shoot. Down side of course is the heavy barrel, but they were made for a specific purpose...the one that came in belonged to a retired NY State Trooper, and honestly it has a nicer action than the two Pythons that were part of the Estate.  

On a side note: With the "ammo shortage" we've had a lot of customers reverting back or at least buying up more Revolver cartridges and odd pistol cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#4]
They had those revolvers so well tuned for DA there was little need for SA.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't shot a PPC match in 20 years.  It's dead Jim.jpeg
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
We have one next weekend.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Love to see a picture of that gun.
I shot PPC in CA starting in the mid 70's. Our dept (SDPD) had a club gunsmith that built up our guns and we fine tuned them. As noted they shot smoother than any semi auto from today's world.
Bull barrels, Bo-Mar ramps and built up "hoods" made from PVC for the sunny days. Custom grips made by John Hurst if he's make you a set. Lots of memories from those days.
It seems it's all run and gun now. Those matches taught marksmanship before speed. Those guns shot tight @ 50 yds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fp1201:
We got a S&W revolver in the other day from an Estate and had clearly been made into a PPC Revolver and I wondered to myself IF  people were still shooting that form of Competition.  
Back in the day it was the schizznetz.
View Quote

I don't know of anyone or any clubs doing it anymore in my area.  The rule excluding people without badges (enforced at most clubs that hosted the matches) does not help.

NRA isn't a great promoter of some of the shooting sports under their auspices, including PPC.  I used to really enjoy shooting NRA Action Pistol (the Bianchi Cup sport), but it's mostly dead now too outside of the Bianchi Cup.  Some of the rule changes imposed by NRA helped hasten the demise and their failure to do anything to encourage club level participation was an ongoing issue.  We used to have three very active Action Pistol clubs in Indiana and as of a few years ago we have zero.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I enjoyed shooting PPC.....a long time ago.I had a Davis .38 on a Model 10 and later built a 686.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn’t even know what a PPC revolver was until reading this thread.  It’s dead.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to be pretty active in PPC...
Being in my 30's I was probably the youngest guy at most matches...
Most of the guys I shot with are either quite elderly or already gone....
In my AO.. PPC is dead.
My range used to have a dedicated outdoor PPC range with permanently installed posts... 14 firing positions.
We took out all but three to make room for ipsc and other games
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve shot PPC for the 16 years on my agency’s National Shooting team and the skills that I learned from PPC have made me a better and wiser shooter in NRA action pistol, USPSA and service rifle! Unfortunately the sport has been dying since not many people have the patience and funds to shoot PPC.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Shot PPC in the beginning of my LE career in the EARLY 1990s. Won my State Championship twice, On the Governor's 20 etc. It taught accuracy foremost. Of course those massive revolvers shooting 38 wadcutters at around 750fps didn't move much at all. Still have my gun and shoot it occasionally.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I came expecting a MechWarrior related thread. I've very disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top