Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2018 6:14:15 AM EDT
I saw this text, underlined, in the 2018 CMP rulebook on page 32:
"cmp barrels may not have compensators, muzzle brakes or sound suppressors."
Is this a new rule? I have the RRA national match rifle and it has a standard A2 compensator just like our M16s had in basic training. Do I need to take it off to compete now?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean you have a A2 flash hider.... It’s not a compensator.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TexasTBag:
Do you mean you have a A2 flash hider.... It’s not a compensator.
View Quote
It's a comp if it's closed on the bottom
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:51:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BassFishing] [#3]
Oh! It's closed on the bottom. Odd, I thought this was legal since it was sold on their national match rifle. But I just watched some youtube videos of competitors using the same rifle as I have, with the same flash hider.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BassFishing:
Oh! It's closed on the bottom. Odd, in basic training they were adamant that it was called a compensator, not a flash hider. I guess they were wrong. I just watched some youtube videos of competitors using the same rifle as I have, with the same flash hider.
View Quote
People refer to muzzle devices in all the wrong ways. ie the AK slant "brake" is really a comp, "linear comps" don't really comp for shit, etc...  So much stupidity, it's not rocket science.  Actually it is, but not complicated.

Comp: diverts gas upwards more than downwards, to reduce muzzle rise
Brake: diverts gas to the sides or back to reduce recoil
FH: reduces visible signature.

Devices can be a combination of any of these.  it the A2 birdcage with a closed bottom works both as a FH and a comp.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Inthink what came on my rifle is legal, then.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]
The closed bottom on the A2 flash suppressor was done more to prevent dust and dirt from being kicked up when shooting prone than to function as a compensator.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, I understand now. So what I have is an A2 flash hider then. It is closed on the bottom. It looks like this: A2 flash hider from Midway

I don't know why, but every time I shoot for qual in the AF, they tell us it's a compensator. But apparently it is not a compensator, it's a flash hider.

I'm shooting EIC rifle matches, and CMP xtc matches. My rifle's weight is 11 lbs and that includes the weight in the stock I'm using to balance it. I'm using this rifle:

Match rifle
I kinda thought Rock River wouldn't sell a national match rifle that couldn't be used in a match. That wouldn't make sense.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BassFishing:

I don't know why, but every time I shoot for qual in the AF, they tell us it's a compensator. But apparently it is not a compensator, it's a flash hider.
View Quote
Remember when Einstein said “the two most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity?”  He was referring to small-arms knowledge in the military. I cannot speak to the USAF, but I saw so much stupidity and incorrect institutional knowledge about small arms in the Army that it staggered me that any of our small arms functioned.

For it to function as a true compensator, there would have to be a small exit hole such that exhaust gases are forced upward out of the slots, such that it functioned effectively to counteract the muzzle rise.

Also, the A2 birdcage muzzle device is a flash suppressor, not a flash hider. A flash suppressor reduces visible flash so it does not affect the shooter’s eyes once they adapt to low-light conditions; a flash hider merely hides it from the shooter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:01:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#10]
Huh.

Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm confused. I'll just bring a wrench with me and if they say it's not allowed, I'll take it off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Leave it.  The bureaucrat writing the rules doesn't know what he's writing.  Typical as you get fewer shooters in the heirarchy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If I call a cat a dog, it still ain’t gonna bark.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you all so much for your help.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

If I call a cat a dog, it still ain’t gonna bark.
View Quote
tell that to awb states
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The A2 style is not considered a compensator for the purposes of CMP competition.  You are fine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 7:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLACKRIFLEREVIEW] [#17]
No they are talking about aftermarket devise .

NRA HIGH POWERED RIFLE RULE BOOK
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
yes the A2 Cage flash suppressor is not illegal in these CMP/NRA Across the course  Match .
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#19]
They are not talking about the stock military A2 Flash Suppressor .They are talking about after market muzzle brakes and sound suppressors .
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top