Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 8/18/2022 2:47:11 PM EDT
After buying an out of spec m16 with warn down parts (from being out of spec) I bought 3 m16 lpk’s since it’s a small dollar investment on parts for a $30k gun

Like many of us I also have a few stripped lowers, would this be a worry to anyone? I never thought twice about it but decided I want to make sure I’m not dancing any gray area

Should I just put regular lpk’s in all the stripped lowers so they’re “complete lowers” or anything?

I hate that I even have to think of ridiculous things like this but you hear these crazy stories so I have to get an opinion

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Put them in your purse.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taymag] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cheeks:
Put them in your purse.
View Quote

lol I knew these were coming — I mean there are basically zero cases (usually people that are breaking the law to begin with) but I’m still curious is anyone hears any more than the dozen or so cases I’ve heard in my entire life and even those usually had gray area where the person was doing some dumbass thing
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
what do you think would be the problem with the separate LPKs and lowers?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By taymag:
Like many of us I also have a few stripped lowers, would this be a worry to anyone?
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Voland:
View Quote

What do you mean? Stripped lowers and m16 lpk’s? Constructive intent would be my point of the post but I’m just asking opinions on if you own a transferable m16 is there any constructive intent if you have a few spare m16 lpk’s
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no "constructive intent."
Read about constructive possession.

It doesn't apply however. The factory M16 autosear cannot function without the third hole, and all the MG sears capable of doing so are considered to be MGs all by themselves.

It's irrelevant if an ATF lab could potentially get one of your ARs to fire full auto without a USGI autosear; because you have a registered M16 there's already a legitimate reason for you to possess as many spare parts for it as you want.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
There is no "constructive intent."
Read about constructive possession.

It doesn't apply however. The factory M16 autosear cannot function without the third hole, and all the MG sears capable of doing so are considered to be MGs all by themselves.

It's irrelevant if an ATF lab could potentially get one of your ARs to fire full auto without a USGI autosear; because you have a registered M16 there's already a legitimate reason for you to possess as many spare parts for it as you want.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  Without the registered gun could be a much different story, but as long as you don't have the lpk's installed in an ar15 lower, you are fine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
To me, this would be more of a question about the lowers and what you have for uppers. Do you have a 16"+ barrel for each lower? With my first machinegun (Colt M16), I preferred to shoot shorter barrels,  so I had some of my barrels shortened and threaded. I just made sure that I a 16" barrel for the three semi lowers that I owned.

As far as the M16 fire control parts, I eventually got a DIAS for the versatility. I use one M16 selector with the DIAS. All the other lowers have a semi selector. With a semi selector, the lower can only fire one round at a time. If I left a full auto selector in the host, with that selector in the auto position, the hammer can follow the carrier and cause a slam fire. The selector is not really a wear item that I have seen. So having lots of spares is unnecessary.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
With a RR you can have all the M16 full auto parts you want. They are spare for your RR and that’s all that anyone needs to know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By taymag:
After buying an out of spec m16 with warn down parts (from being out of spec) I bought 3 m16 lpk’s since it’s a small dollar investment on parts for a $30k gun

Like many of us I also have a few stripped lowers, would this be a worry to anyone? I never thought twice about it but decided I want to make sure I’m not dancing any gray area

Should I just put regular lpk’s in all the stripped lowers so they’re “complete lowers” or anything?

I hate that I even have to think of ridiculous things like this but you hear these crazy stories so I have to get an opinion

View Quote
I wouldnt worry about it.NOW if all those M16 lpks and AR receivers AND there is a drilling fixture in there you might be in a fix IF discovered
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't drill a hole you will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

OP is new at this and doesnt understand what he is doing
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Heineken:
Don't drill a hole you will be fine.
View Quote
+1

I have spare M16 FCG's and sears.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
With a RR you can have all the M16 full auto parts you want. They are spare for your RR and that’s all that anyone needs to know.
View Quote

^^^
This.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Long Standing Case Law presumes you have a legal way to build out your parts into firearms.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
Long Standing Case Law presumes you have a legal way to build out your parts into firearms.
View Quote
This.

To prove (constructive) possession, the state would have to prove that the "collection of parts" could only be assembled into an unlawful configuration.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top