Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/17/2022 9:33:06 PM EDT
Was going through some old cans of Talon .50 bmg today and found this. Yikes. Can it be buffed out?

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably just shoot it I had a feeling it might be Talon when I read the title.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Just shoot it, that's nothing.

If you want to see tarnished, find some old DAG 308.  100X worse and still shot fine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, just shoot it; purely cosmetic.   If you have other BMG ammo, you'll probably want to shoot this stuff up first, though.  This stuf isn't going ot improve with further age.  You might also give some thought to storing all your ammo in low moisture environments - HD plastic bags, ammo cans, etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#4]
Pull the bullets, wash the brass. Reload. I wouldn't shoot them.

There is way too much pressure in there for me to trust them. And I do not want to end up like Kentucky Ballistics.

These are the danger zones:

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

There is way too much pressure in there for me to trust them. And I do not want to end up like Kentucky Ballistics.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471670/ay0z8UU-2493201.jpg
View Quote

Looks like most of what you have circled is sealant that wasn't cleaned off but I can't tell for sure. I've never seen compromised ammo blow up it usually just doesn't work. Obviously that's not a guarantee but the Kentucky dude had a messed up probably fake SLAP round so it's not really the same.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Send it
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By brian1:
Yeah, just shoot it; purely cosmetic.   If you have other BMG ammo, you'll probably want to shoot this stuff up first, though.  This stuf isn't going ot improve with further age.  You might also give some thought to storing all your ammo in low moisture environments - HD plastic bags, ammo cans, etc.
View Quote

All my other 50bmg ammo looks good. Just two cans are like this (300rds)
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Looks like most of what you have circled is sealant that wasn't cleaned off but I can't tell for sure. I've never seen compromised ammo blow up it usually just doesn't work. Obviously that's not a guarantee but the Kentucky dude had a messed up probably fake SLAP round so it's not really the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471670/ay0z8UU-2493201.jpg

Its the seam ring to chamber the round. That where when I see degradation I worry.

I have never shot 50 professionally so consider my advise as a mild warning.

I can only imagine the condition of the ammo in the ME
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot worse through my M82a1
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, looks like I will just shoot it then. Thanks for info.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OG1] [#12]
I had a customer call me from the range, told me his M82 went click and had a live round in the chamber and he could not get it out. I told him to whack the bolt handle and see if that works and it was stuck. So he brings the IED (lol) to me. After sweating a good 15 minutes and waiting on the big boom I finally got what was supposed to be a live round with a primer strike out and it was empty so he didn't realize it fired. The moral of the story is that is was corroded and looked just like yours and it stuck in the chamber. I personally would not shoot that and do as someone above recommended and reload them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
We use d to take ammo that was pretty grungy and wrap A bit of red scotch brite around it and twist the round in the scotch bite bad. Cleans grit and most corrosion off  pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By uniquesnd:
Shot worse through my M82a1
View Quote

Originally Posted By OG1:
I had a customer call me from the range, told me his M82 went click and had a live round in the chamber and he could not get it out. I told him to whack the bolt handle and see if that works and it was stuck. So he brings the IED (lol) to me. After sweating a good 15 minutes and waiting on the big boom I finally got what was supposed to be a live round with a primer strike out and it was empty so he didn't realize it fired. The moral of the story is that is was corroded and looked just like yours and it stuck in the chamber. I personally would not shoot that and do as someone above recommended and reload them.
View Quote

Talon was the only ammo that choked my 82. Round would stick and cause a cascade of problems.

First the extractor does it’s job and rips part of the rim off with style. Then It would pick up the next round and attempt to chamber it which is obviously an issue. Ended up totally bending the bullet in the neck so you end up with one loaded round hosed and one piece of brass hosed. Thought it was a fluke but did it 2-4 times and that was it for me as I’m not a fan of the cleaning rod extraction.

I suspect it’s a sizing issue because my 99 ate them like candy but my Safety Harbor they are a tight fit when closing the bolt and opening after firing. Moral of the story is that the 99 is a rock star.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Stopped by Harbor Freight today to pick up some stuff and grabbed a 6" buffer to try to clean up the brass.

This is the result

Before

After

6" buffer

Link

Green Polishing Compound

Link
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
That is amazing!
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m such a weenie I don’t think I’d feel right holding the round and using the buffer but they came out nice. If it really bothered me I’d just tumble them I think.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m such a weenie I don’t think I’d feel right holding the round and using the buffer but they came out nice. If it really bothered me I’d just tumble them I think.
View Quote

Buffing them they do get a little hot and I thought about "what if this thing explodes in my hand?"
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By realwar:

Buffing them they do get a little hot and I thought about "what if this thing explodes in my hand?"
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By OG1:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Pull a couple  and check the condition of the powder and inside of the case.  I would also put the empty case in the rifle and  fire it to see if primer  goes bang,
You cleaned the outside of the case  but still have no idea if any corrosion actually get inside of the case.  Also make sure whatever you’re using to pals the case does not have any ammonia in it it will start to weaken  at the case
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Wasn't there a bad batch of surplus 5010 floating around when Talon was around? I heard it broke down and corrosion would be an indicator or smell bad if still in the can.

I had a bad lot of Talon from Sportsmans guide years ago. It was oversized and the shoulders were set back quite a bit compared to the others. I didn't notice and had a failure of some sort but I don't recall what.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Wasn't there a bad batch of surplus 5010 floating around when Talon was around? I heard it broke down and corrosion would be an indicator or smell bad if still in the can.

I had a bad lot of Talon from Sportsmans guide years ago. It was oversized and the shoulders were set back quite a bit compared to the others. I didn't notice and had a failure of some sort but I don't recall what.
View Quote

We got a bunch of Talon at Barrett years ago. Some of it was seriously overcharged or so underhanded it would open the 82a1 action about an inch or so.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#25]
In my younger (and slightly dumber) days, I filled my cement mixer after removing two paddles with red Lyman tumbling media and turned it on. While "tumbling" I slowly dumped in 3 50CAL ammo cans of loaded Talon ammo and let it tumbled for a day or more (outside due to dust generated and for safety in case one fired). Then the contents were dumped thru a large screen to separate ammo from media. Hand tumbling in a large pool towel removed the dust from the perfectly shined cases and projectile tips.

This ammo was then fired in my stock AR-50.  As stated elsewhere, I fired 3800 rounds of questionable ammo thru my stock AR-50 wearing out the almost smoothbore barrel.

Then I learned to reload the 50BMG cartridge.

Then I learned to reload the 50BMG cartridge a bit more accurately.

Then I learned to reload the 50BMG cartridge a little bit more accurately.

Then I learned to reload the 50BMG cartridge a much more accurately.

Then I learned to reload the 50BMG cartridge a lot more accurately being able to shoot 4" 5-shot groups at 1000 yards dependent on wind conditions. The rifle also went thru modification and learning processes  involving 3 more K&P SS 1.75"dis 416R barrels 34, 36, & 38" in finished length with multiple twist rates of 1:15, 1:14, and 1:12 being tested. Future barrel will be 38" finished with a 1:13 twist and a custom chamber.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Buy a power precision 50bmg shell holder. It has a hexagon end on it to chuck into a drill press.

Throw some polishing compound on a rag, hold on tight, and let it spin.
It’ll clean right up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#27]
There is a video out there that states that if you tumble a round you are breaking up the inner gunpowder into much smaller pieces.
Smaller pieces have more surface area essentially turning the gunpowder into "bullseye" or other fine powder type.
Which means EXPLOSIVE force.
Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lightguy:
There is a video out there that states that if you tumble a round you are breaking up the inner gunpowder into much smaller pieces.
Smaller pieces have more surface area essentially turning the gunpowder into "bullseye" or other fine powder type.
Which means EXPLOSIVE force.
Makes sense to me.
View Quote

That has been repeated as long as I've been a shooter. The issue is that nobody ever seems to be able to back it up. Factories tumble loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Red scotch Brite pad. Hold round by the base. Wrap scotch Brite pad around kind of loose. Rotate the round kind of fast. It will remove the tarnish pretty quickly.

Did it to a lot of rounds in the past. Works fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Ever seen the Dominican yellow tip stuff.

View Quote

Oh......Now ya` done gone and done it.

I pulled apart several rounds for a buddy years ago.

Those Bastids were green on the inside and some even had loose cores that you could hear rattling when I shook them.

OP, If you want your rounds clean, just grab some burgundy colored ScotchBrite and rub a little bit. That is what I would do and "Let `em fly".

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:20:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Xringlover] [#32]

That has been repeated as long as I've been a shooter. The issue is that nobody ever seems to be able to back it up. Factories tumble loaded ammo.
View Quote

I have been tumbling loaded ammo for years. I did it to get the case lube off in corncob. I have even tumbled rounds made in the 50`s to shine them up.

NEVER had a problem yet.

I agree with your statement Sir.

All of my rounds when fired through a Chronograph after being tumbled, are very consistent in speed and accuracy. ( Accuracy.......Providing that I do my part when the hammer falls )
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:18:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alderleet] [#33]
Any update from OP?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope your luck is better than mine. I bought two cans of that trash. I was lucky to keep it in a 12 inch group at 200 yds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Alderleet:
Any update from OP?
View Quote

They shoot fine. No issues so far.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd use brasso and polish by hand.  Using a power tool could heat the powder to flash point if old.  Be careful man .
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a few hundred surplus rounds from Copes a few years back. Not Dominican but dont remember. Foreign though.
Not just tarnished but wet green corrosion some through the metal case. Those I toss.
Because I'm a cheap bastard I clean them up with scotchbrite, loaded one into a weighted down Steyr, and pulled the trigger via a rope.
Fired just fine and extracted fine too. I looked for any indication of overpreassurization; nope.
I'd say 25% dont fire off though.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top