Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
6/17/2020 12:50:38 AM EDT
Still researching some new plates. Came across tactical scorpion gear plates which look decent spec wise. They claim they are made or "crafted" in the USA. However, there isn't a lot of 3rd party info or reviews on their plates. A few youtube videos is about all I could find. I have reached out to tactical scorpion for info on their level IV offerings, but havent recieved any response.

Does anybody have any experience with these plates and/or with dealing with the company?
6/17/2020 1:11:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought lvl iv 6x6 plates to test/shoot; shipping longer than promised, not great comms, etc.

I 'think' the company assembles offshore materials, but never got a clear answer.

About to buy RMA plates.
6/17/2020 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Quoted:
I bought lvl iv 6x6 plates to test/shoot; shipping longer than promised, not great comms, etc.

I 'think' the company assembles offshore materials, but never got a clear answer.

About to buy RMA plates.
View Quote


Was your experience recent or was it before the current rush these companies are seeing? Did you ever receive communication from them?

Also, curious if you have gotten around to testing the 6x6 plates yet and how they performed.

ETA: Also, still haven't heard back from them regarding my inquiries.
6/17/2020 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Forget them! I also sent them an inquiry last week, and still crickets. They're not much cheaper than RMAs, so that's who I'm going with.
6/17/2020 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Quoted:


Was your experience recent or was it before the current rush these companies are seeing? Did you ever receive communication from them?

Also, curious if you have gotten around to testing the 6x6 plates yet and how they performed.

ETA: Also, still haven't heard back from them regarding my inquiries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought lvl iv 6x6 plates to test/shoot; shipping longer than promised, not great comms, etc.

I 'think' the company assembles offshore materials, but never got a clear answer.

About to buy RMA plates.


Was your experience recent or was it before the current rush these companies are seeing? Did you ever receive communication from them?

Also, curious if you have gotten around to testing the 6x6 plates yet and how they performed.

ETA: Also, still haven't heard back from them regarding my inquiries.


I bought them last year. Communication was inconsistent / unimpressive once I paid ... email with reference to shipping info that was not included ... subsequent email with tracking info that showed no progress ... plates physically arrived then I received an email with an update about arrival date.

I have not shot them yet. Only reason is logistics (time, place, etc.) to execute it.



6/19/2020 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a pair of their steels, and their PE plates.

Their communication sucks, but their plates are actually good products, IMO. I've shot a few of 'em, and their 3+ PE plates DO stop M855 out of a 16" barrel from like 10 yards, multiple hits.

That's what I was after, and 3.3lbs is a good weight for the protection you get.

They're advertising a 30 day lead time right now, and they got my latest set shipped out around 2 weeks.

So IMO, they're good to go, just know that comms suck.
7/12/2020 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
I have a pair of their steels, and their PE plates.

Their communication sucks, but their plates are actually good products, IMO. I've shot a few of 'em, and their 3+ PE plates DO stop M855 out of a 16" barrel from like 10 yards, multiple hits.

That's what I was after, and 3.3lbs is a good weight for the protection you get.

They're advertising a 30 day lead time right now, and they got my latest set shipped out around 2 weeks.

So IMO, they're good to go, just know that comms suck.
View Quote


Gonna bump this to see if anyone else is waiting on a TSG order.

Order # 196XX Processing June 5, 2020 Level III+ PE Polyethylene Body Armor 10x12
7/12/2020 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a couple steel plates from them last month for a backup to the backup plate carrier (yeah, I have too much shit). I think from purchase to arriving at my door it was like 42-45
days??

I also bought some Ar500 plates during the 4-July sale..... Maybe I will glue those to the inside of my car doors or something?

7/12/2020 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
I got a couple steel plates from them last month for a backup to the backup plate carrier (yeah, I have too much shit). I think from purchase to arriving at my door it was like 42-45
days??

I also bought some Ar500 plates during the 4-July sale..... Maybe I will glue those to the inside of my car doors or something?

View Quote


Thanks for some insight to how long they're running behind.
7/12/2020 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a set of the Tactical Scorpion 3+.
Haven't shot them or anything, but they are nice and light. The multicurve is nice and comfortable.
7/13/2020 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I ended up purchasing a set of their multicurve level VI with silicone carbide. I was somewhat concerned about ordering from them initially as their communication is non-existent if using email or phone. However, I found they are fairly responsive on facebook and seem to be answering customer questions there. Most issues seemed to revolve around shipping, but they seem quick to respond on facebook.  For my order, it was placed on June 18th and I received shipping notif on the 24th. Armor was delivered on the 27th.

The plates are fairly light (~5 1/2 pounds) and the multicurve is sufficient. Overall, I'm happy enough with the purchase at the price which was 450.00 shipped for 2 using a coupon I found on youtube.
7/14/2020 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:
I ended up purchasing a set of their multicurve level VI with silicone carbide. I was somewhat concerned about ordering from them initially as their communication is non-existent if using email or phone. However, I found they are fairly responsive on facebook and seem to be answering customer questions there. Most issues seemed to revolve around shipping, but they seem quick to respond on facebook.  For my order, it was placed on June 18th and I received shipping notif on the 24th. Armor was delivered on the 27th.

The plates are fairly light (~5 1/2 pounds) and the multicurve is sufficient. Overall, I'm happy enough with the purchase at the price which was 450.00 shipped for 2 using a coupon I found on youtube.
View Quote



Congrats on no issues and happy with your purchase!

At that price point, you should buy more, shoot them, and post results
7/15/2020 2:10:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Quoted:
I ended up purchasing a set of their multicurve level VI with silicone carbide. I was somewhat concerned about ordering from them initially as their communication is non-existent if using email or phone. However, I found they are fairly responsive on facebook and seem to be answering customer questions there. Most issues seemed to revolve around shipping, but they seem quick to respond on facebook.  For my order, it was placed on June 18th and I received shipping notif on the 24th. Armor was delivered on the 27th.

The plates are fairly light (~5 1/2 pounds) and the multicurve is sufficient. Overall, I'm happy enough with the purchase at the price which was 450.00 shipped for 2 using a coupon I found on youtube.
View Quote


I assume these are what you got? https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iv-polyethylene-body-armor-medium-sapi.html

Are there better LVL IV plates available for the price? $450 for two LVL IV plates @ 5.5 lbs each seems a good deal.

@patriot_man
@buffman_lt1
7/15/2020 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#13]
For the $$$, and weight, might be hard pressed find something better. I have not personally tested them, but being Level IV they will likely stop any common threat you may encounter.
7/15/2020 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:
I assume these are what you got? https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iv-polyethylene-body-armor-medium-sapi.html

Are there better LVL IV plates available for the price? $450 for two LVL IV plates @ 5.5 lbs each seems a good deal.

@patriot_man
@buffman_lt1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
I assume these are what you got? https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iv-polyethylene-body-armor-medium-sapi.html

Are there better LVL IV plates available for the price? $450 for two LVL IV plates @ 5.5 lbs each seems a good deal.

@patriot_man
@buffman_lt1


@CapsFan - you didn't ask me but I'm gonna quasi-hijack your question



Quoted:
For the $$$, and weight, might be hard pressed find something better. I have not personally tested them, but being Level IV they will likely stop any common threat you may encounter.


@Buffman_LT1 - there has been speculation that companies (like TSG) assemble offshore plate components in the U.S. While not inherently bad, the inference includes that materials are not as claimed, or that if a plate passes an NIJ cert, perhaps that plate was different (intentionally or unintentionally due to offshore QA) and subsequent plates might not be of same quality. Thoughts?

@All - I'm genuinely asking this and not trying to start sht (I own TSG 6x6 plates for my side pockets). I'm trying to figure out if only US$150 more per plate (1192s) gets me more than just piece of mind?

ETA - I forgot to add - awhile back some ARF member that everyone claimed is a SME made veiled references to knowing TSG and knowing something undesirable about their manufacturing or whatever. It may have been unfounded, but it compounded my 'bad communication experience' so I want to be fair to TSG if their stuff is solid and they just can't hire good comms people
7/16/2020 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Quoted:


@CapsFan - you didn't ask me but I'm gonna quasi-hijack your question





@Buffman_LT1 - there has been speculation that companies (like TSG) assemble offshore plate components in the U.S. While not inherently bad, the inference includes that materials are not as claimed, or that if a plate passes an NIJ cert, perhaps that plate was different (intentionally or unintentionally due to offshore QA) and subsequent plates might not be of same quality. Thoughts?

@All - I'm genuinely asking this and not trying to start sht (I own TSG 6x6 plates for my side pockets). I'm trying to figure out if only US$150 more per plate (1192s) gets me more than just piece of mind?

ETA - I forgot to add - awhile back some ARF member that everyone claimed is a SME made veiled references to knowing TSG and knowing something undesirable about their manufacturing or whatever. It may have been unfounded, but it compounded my 'bad communication experience' so I want to be fair to TSG if their stuff is solid and they just can't hire good comms people
View Quote
Yeah TSC has made no efforts to clarify how much of their plates are actually "Made" in the US, vs them having foreign components and just "assembling the components into a completed plate". If their plates were NIJ cert, there would be very little room for them to swap components out for different quality stuff because of FIT (Follow up Inspection and Testing). Their tests from Wound Channel are legit, so I'd have no problems trusting their claims, but me personally I want to destroy one and look at the guts :D
7/16/2020 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Quoted:


I assume these are what you got? https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iv-polyethylene-body-armor-medium-sapi.html

Are there better LVL IV plates available for the price? $450 for two LVL IV plates @ 5.5 lbs each seems a good deal.

@patriot_man
@buffman_lt1
View Quote


Yep, those are the ones. Selected multicurve and silicone which takes the price to 264. Found a video on YouTube by a guy called "the gun penguin" that reviewed some TSG plates. The review was just a table top type review which offered no real substanitive info, but he did have a coupon code for 15% off.  The wound channels various tests of TSG plates gave me confidence in my purchase.

As I mentioned the plates seem to be of good quality, but of course all this is obviously based off is external fit and finish which proves nothing as to effectiveness. For all I know the internals could be tinfoil and hammered dog shit, doest smell like shit though. Until these specific plates are shot I can not be absolutely sure. I would argue that this is the case with any armor that isnt NIJ certified though.

7/16/2020 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I re read their description and I thought I read these plates were NIJ certified. Not the case; it reads that level IV(in general) is capable of stopping AP threats. Sneaky. Is anybody reading this differently than me?
Attached File
7/16/2020 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Correct this is common practice. If the model # is not on this list, it's not certified.

NIJ compliance list

Lots of places say "NIJ certified", "Tested in compliance with", "NIJ Compliant" etc. If they aren't on the list they aren't certified for that model. If they have documentation from 3rd party labs like these:
Approved 3rd party labs that prove their claims, then that's more assuring, but it always comes down to how committed to keeping quality is that company.  That's usually handled with NIJ Cert'd plates by the "Follow up Inspection and Testing (FIT). This is where they will come and test your plates to ensure the model you submitted is the same build specifications as what you are currently producing, and it will stop the threats it was designed for. Hesco has failed FIT in the past couple of years for some models.


7/18/2020 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Quoted:


Gonna bump this to see if anyone else is waiting on a TSG order.

Order # 196XX Processing June 5, 2020 Level III+ PE Polyethylene Body Armor 10x12
View Quote


update to my thread derailment: Order placed June 5th, shipped July 17. Six weeks.


Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Armory Sponsor