Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
9/23/2026 11:54:33 AM EDT
Anyone have the unit from Rollsizer?  Was it a good investment?

https://rollsizer.com/shop/wizard/Rollsizer/WSE-ERLS%20AUS%20PLUG

I'm considering picking one up, namely to help with 9mm cases (although I'd probably just go ahead and get the .223 and .38/.357 discs as well).

I've watched some youtube videos on it but am curious as to how much it actually helps and what folks real-world experience has been with it.

It's a sizeable investment money-wise, but if the benefit is worth it, I'll take the plunge.

My biggest concern is trying to get the bottom end of 9mm brass sized enough so that when I load 147gr rounds and feed them into my Omni and CZ pistols, I don't get those unwanted jams.  I have the Armanov 100-round ammo checker which has been SUPER helpful, but I'd like to add in this extra layer of support if worthwhile.  I don't mind the extra step in the case prep effort, it's more about whether it's worthwhile or not.


Thanks for any feedback!
9/23/2026 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what this even is, and the website provides no description on what it's purpose even is.
9/23/2026 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Roll Sizing helps reclaim brass like that of 9MM brass loaded to 9MM major loads.  It uniforms the case from rim to case mouth.
They have all kinds of inserts to work on various cartridges.
Rollsizing your cases explained by Rollsizer.com
jme and I am a NRA Endowment Member

Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
R W Emerson
9/23/2026 3:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer][Edited] [#3]
That is a sizeable chunk of change ($1600) to recover what you might otherwise consider to be trashed 9mm brass.  Ditto for the 223 cases.

Both cartridge types are plentiful and worthless once-fired garbage left on the ground by most shooters.

I don't include the 38/357 in that statement because so very few people still shoot those.  When they were more popular, they were also considered trash and left behind on the ground.

Do it if you want to but I wouldn't even consider it.  

I'm not intending to be critical of you or the device maker.  It looks like a nice gizmo.  


I'm presenting my perspective on the economic value as I see it.  

How many damaged cases would be required to break even on cost?  Especially so, since you are already using your Armanov case gauge.
9/23/2026 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
A guy that I know locally that has one....because he shoots at ranges with shooters using 9MM Major loads for USPSA.  His logical is that it saves headaches for him.  He uses the Dillon Casefeeder to feed it so it makes it easy.
jme and I am a NRA Endowment Member

Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
R W Emerson
9/23/2026 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot a lot of range brass in 9mm. In 4 pistols and 2 AR9's. No Glocks.

I use a Hornady size die on my 1050, and gauge all of my finished rounds.

The very few that don't gauge get broken down to reuse components and the case scrapped.

So for me I don't feel I need a roll sizer.

Don't have an issue with 223 either.
Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam.

Shooting and Reloading, one hobby feeds the other.
9/23/2026 4:30:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer][Edited] [#6]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
That is a sizeable chunk of change ($1600) to recover what you might otherwise consider to be trashed 9mm brass.  Ditto for the 223 cases.

Both cartridge types are plentiful and worthless once-fired garbage left on the ground by most shooters.

I don't include the 38/357 in that statement because so very few people still shoot those.  When they were more popular, they were also considered trash and left behind on the ground.

Do it if you want to but I wouldn't even consider it.  

I'm not intending to be critical of you or the device maker.  It looks like a nice gizmo.  


I'm presenting my perspective on the economic value as I see it.  

How many damaged cases would be required to break even on cost?  Especially so, since you are already using your Armanov case gauge.
View Quote

I'm way out of my element on this device, so maybe I'm missing something - but I'm with TrollSlayer.  This whole concept seems like a horrible idea.  It allows continued usage of heavily abused brass that should be thrown in the scrap bucket.  For brass casings that are common as dirt.  This whole concept seems like a bad idea.  But I don't really know this topic that well, as well.

[trimmed up the rambling a bit ;) ]

9/23/2026 5:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723][Edited] [#7]
The roll sizer function is to size the whole case body.  Regular size die does NOT do that.  Your Lee Carbide Factory crimp die is for anal retentive reloaders, it is only meant to be used on jacketed bullets.  I have been loading for a long time....45 and 9 from way back.  Granted no one was shooting 9MM Major or guns with unsupported feed ramps etc way back then.  I have loaded and shot tons of coke bottle looking rounds in 9 and 45 not a problem.  But we have generations of anal retentive types.  It takes all kinds!

You all can debate what ever view point you want.  If not in your list of needed tools then move on.  I spent many years loading just fine on RCBS Jr press then upgraded to a  450 then 550 then toyed with 650/750 and now a 1100.  Do I need a 1100 not really.  Just makes my life a bit easier.

We have people that have Prometheus scales.  We have people that are smiling with a Lee Safety scale.  If your equipment choice puts a smile on your face....great.  We are all fellow reloaders enjoying our hobby!  Do I think some people make uninformed choices? YOU BET!  Do I think some people over think stuff? YOUR BET!  Do I think some people are sad sacks who can not think for themselves. YOU BET and those are saddest of all.  They fail to invest in themselves.  They want others to do their work for them.  But that is world we live.  I learned to reload in 1973.
The guy @ Carter's Country handed me the Hornady Manual.  I had no internet?  I had the guy at Carter's Country and my next door neighbor.
jme and I am a NRA Endowment Member

Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
R W Emerson
9/24/2026 4:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a commercial rollsizer; you may have seen some of my YouTube videos on it.   I rollsized 5k 9mm cases for a local USPSA PCC GM before he went to the Czech Republic for the PCC world shoot and he remarked to me how the rollsized brass went through his press much more smoothly and with less sizing force.
9/24/2026 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
This is something I would buy because I despise processing 9mm on my 1050 because the case rim will jam up the press.  I am running a mark7 on it .  

I shoot enough and process 9 for my friends as well so the cost is justifiable.

If it was just me running little lots then no .
9/24/2026 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone. I have a little more noodling to do before I make a decision.

I'm not in a rush so if I do decide to buy one, I'll probably wait to see if there's a Black Friday sale even though they're in Australia.
9/25/2026 3:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I looked into a roll sizer and decided on using a Lee APP to push through size instead. If your doing several thousand at a time a rollsizer makes sense. I'm processing about 1-2k at a time, but have done 4k+ 9mm in a couple sittings on the APP without any problem. With a rollsizer you'll roll size first, then FL size as a second step... with the push through method you'll FL size first then push through.

The roll sizer doesn't touch the rim, whereas the push through method will reform the rim round if deformed and iron out slight nicks.

I do all 9mm, 40sw, 45acp and 223 cases to make sure all cases are uniformed to a maximum OD. Then load pistol cases on a square deal b. Been doing this for several years and pleased with the results. Tightens primer pockets too. I only use a case gauge now when troubleshooting a problem which doesn't happen very often since implementing push through sizing. I also stopped sorting brass except for precision loads.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Bulge-busting-BB-/42-557601/
9/25/2026 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
My process will definitely include rollsizing and then the standard sizing process on station 1 on my Dillon 650.

I may actually look at getting the decapper too.

- machine decap
- wet tumble
- roll size
- dry tumble
- toss into the press and hit the usual 5 stations
9/25/2026 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I absolutely despise "coke bottle" results in 9mm.  Have looked into a rollsizer.  I have pretty much all the 9mm 147gr that I will need for the foreseeable  future.  So I didn't want to invest at least $900 for the hand crank rollsizer.  

Not to derail the thread.  Has anyone used the Redding NxGen Pro Series 9mm Carbide sizing die?  It is supposed to not create the "coke bottle" effect.
9/25/2026 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Originally Posted By vizsla1:
I absolutely despise "coke bottle" results in 9mm.  Have looked into a rollsizer.  I have pretty much all the 9mm 147gr that I will need for the foreseeable  future.  So I didn't want to invest at least $900 for the hand crank rollsizer.  

Not to derail the thread.  Has anyone used the Redding NxGen Pro Series 9mm Carbide sizing die?  It is supposed to not create the "coke bottle" effect.
View Quote

That is what Lee FCD fixes
9/26/2026 1:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ][Edited] [#15]
I bought a Kimber 2K11 and found it has a super tight chamber. I run brass through an undersized U-die, but that doesn’t always guarantee all of them will chamber.

I ended up getting the $800 hand crank version. It comes with an adapter for a hand drill. It’s bolted next to the 650 so I can use the Dillon case feeder.

I’ll usually run a set of 1000 cases at a time. As noted by others, it makes running it through the regular sizing die much smoother. Brass runs well through the Kimber, and everything else.
9/27/2026 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Granted there is a lot of hype and trend followers on the Brian Enos forums …why heck!  There might be posters there “shilling” for them.   But it seems like guys swear by the rollsizers there:

https://brian-enos-forums.com/topic/319596-rollsizer-question/

https://brian-enos-forums.com/topic/318169-rollsizer/

Me?

I have an Evolution Gun Works / Lee undersize die and a Lee FCD in all my 650 toolheads for 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP .

And I still case gauge everything, especially now that I have the Armanov hundo’s

There was a time when I was thinking of getting a Case Pro.  It is a type of brass roll sizer.

It uses two (hardened???) steel plates that move past each other in a linear fashion.

But at least once I had asked about it on the BE forums and a lot of the replies I got back were “Oh, you still have to run your brass through a (full length) resizing die.  It only squishes down the bottom one third of the case.”

FWIW, I think the rollsizer people ( out of New Zealand) also make an automated decapper.

If they made a contraption that decapped and roll sized all in one, I might be interested.






9/27/2026 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry if this reply is verging on "off topic".

I can't comment on the rollsizer.  Never used one.

However, I scrounge literally thousands of fired 9mm cases.  Processed two five gallon buckets this summer alone, and have two more to go.  I use a simple RCBS carbide 9mm die set... No issues..

When sizing I will occasionally encounter greater sizing resistance. I can feel it.  Usually this is caused by a case that is significantly "swollen".  I cull and toss that case.  It's normally a half dozen such cases out of 500 or 600 hundred.

I'm not thrilled with the concept of rollsizing.  1) I don't want to keep a case that was abused that hard. And 2) I don't want to spend the money ( and time and energy) to recoup a half dozen cases.  That sounds like I'm spending a lot to save a little.

Your mileage may vary. Hoping the input is useful, even if it's " no thank you".
9/27/2026 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Originally Posted By frozenny:
Hoping the input is useful, even if it's " no thank you".
View Quote



Absolutely. I posted up to get all sorts of insights.  I appreciate it!
9/27/2026 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]
If a guy could get 3 more friends to chip in and share it.
If life was easy nobody would quit.
9/27/2026 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I think some folks are on a logical path when they say that using a rollsizer to recover abused 9mm brass is a bad idea.  However, I have also run into NOT abused 9mm brass that had the base of the case a little over sized.  This was range brass with various headstamps, and every indication was that the factory loading was moderate at worst (like RA brass, for instance).  

That stuff was a pain to deal with because a) it looked fine when I deprimed it, and b) having the press only size down to the top of the web just didn’t cut it.  I’ve recycled a lot of cases that looked like they were fine, just because they wouldn’t gauge after sizing

The 9x19 case is absolutely NOT a straight-wall case.  You can use a Lee push through die to get the last part sized down, but there is no “9x19mm Bulge Buster” because of the case’s taper.  Folks use Lee’s 9mm Makarov FCD to get that last bit of the case sized down…but it’s a separate step.

Using a roll sizer, which gets the whole case sized, INCLUDING the part that a standard sizing die misses, sounds like a good idea when you’re processing tons of brass.  It does the whole sizing operation in one pass, gets everything sized to spec, and can be automated (as with the OP’s link) for efficiency.  

I did not get the sense from the OP that his plan was to salvage abused brass, but rather that he wanted to be able to fully size a bunch of cases in the most efficient way possible.
Yesterday 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
I think some folks are on a logical path when they say that using a rollsizer to recover abused 9mm brass is a bad idea.  However, I have also run into NOT abused 9mm brass that had the base of the case a little over sized.  This was range brass with various headstamps, and every indication was that the factory loading was moderate at worst (like RA brass, for instance).  

That stuff was a pain to deal with because a) it looked fine when I deprimed it, and b) having the press only size down to the top of the web just didn’t cut it.  I’ve recycled a lot of cases that looked like they were fine, just because they wouldn’t gauge after sizing

The 9x19 case is absolutely NOT a straight-wall case.  You can use a Lee push through die to get the last part sized down, but there is no “9x19mm Bulge Buster” because of the case’s taper.  Folks use Lee’s 9mm Makarov FCD to get that last bit of the case sized down…but it’s a separate step.

Using a roll sizer, which gets the whole case sized, INCLUDING the part that a standard sizing die misses, sounds like a good idea when you’re processing tons of brass.  It does the whole sizing operation in one pass, gets everything sized to spec, and can be automated (as with the OP’s link) for efficiency.  

I did not get the sense from the OP that his plan was to salvage abused brass, but rather that he wanted to be able to fully size a bunch of cases in the most efficient way possible.
View Quote


Excellent explanation.

I do know a couple of F class guys that use it on their brass to get the base back into shape to avoid clickers.  They bought one and share it amongst themselves.
Yesterday 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Are there roll sizers that have two long rods next to each other and the brass goes through them? I knew a guy with that setup years ago. Can’t remember if it was for 40 9 or 38 Super.
BikerNut:
Normal people like motorcycles. Real people like motorcycles.

People who don't like motorcycles are just... weird.
Yesterday 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I did not get the sense from the OP that his plan was to salvage abused brass, but rather that he wanted to be able to fully size a bunch of cases in the most efficient way possible.
View Quote


Bingo!  I my Dillon dies can only do so much and I'm really tired of the coke bottle effect, especially when loading 147gr rounds.  

I have probably 60k pieces of 9mm brass to size, and with the unit being $1400, that's an extra $23/k "cost" to the brass per 1k.  

Expensive?  Sure, it's doubling the cost of my 9mm brass.  Will it potentially make loading easier and getting rid of some of the chambering issues I had with tightly-chambered pistols?  That's the hope!

I'm not looking to fix bad brass, GHP is spot on.  I'm looking to add as much efficiency and quality into my loading process as possible.  If this tool gets me another step closer, win/win.

I'll probably wait until black friday and buy one, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

Thank you everyone for the candid replies and conversation, it's truly been helpful.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Armory Sponsor