BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 6/19/2020 2:09:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My $0.02

The rifles themselves are fantastic (I only own L models).   Extremely reliable, modular, ergonomic, etc...

Many people are upset that they dropped the M96.

The company owner pissed off a lot of gun owners by supporting Mitt Romney for president.

CS at the company has been spotty.  It was bad before @xcrmonger.  It was great with her.  It fell off after she left.  It seems pretty good now as all my inquiries are answered quickly, although I can’t get them to sell me the brace version of their FAST stock.  

There is a small contingent of XCR fans that post in this forum.  I’m one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a xcr competition - L this week and ordered a 16" light Grendel barrel for it. Robarms reached out almost immediately to confirm my order and were quick to answer questions. So far just messing around the rifle is pretty cool. Very ergonomic. Pretty heavy with the current heavy profile 18" barrel but hoping to drop a pound or so with the new barrel.

I only became aware of the competition length and mlok options Robinson offers in the last month. I think those 2 things may cause an uptick in interest.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as weapons go, I can't think of any system about which I've heard fewer negative criticisms. The company had a few faux pas, but the rifles are as solid as a rifle can be. The only thing holding me back from getting another is the economy of scale that makes ARs so cheap.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
My L is a mid 3 digit serial number. It has been a fantastic gun, bought in 2005 or 6.

The problem with Robinson right now from what I see and hear, is that it was too difficult for dealers to get guns, the guns were expensive and that made them hard to move, and a lot has changed in the tactical market since the XCR was released.

I'm probably an ideal customer for Robinson because I know the product is good and they make variants I'd like to have right now. The problem is that the AR platform has really come along since 2004 and common "copy machine repairman" type guys like me can build a stellar AR with similar operating features for a lot less than the $1800 Robinson needs to sell them for. Or have a much nicer rifle for the same money.

I do understand why they cost what they do-really-but the reality is what it is.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Any loss of zero when pulling/mounting the barrel(s)?  

View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/XCR-caliber-switch-zero-RTZ/2-512359/
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Glad it was of use to someone. For those to lazy to click the link:
First group at 6x:

Switch to 7.62x39 POI shift:

Back to 5.56:

And I was comparing to an AR with EOTech+3x magnifier so another group at 3x on the LPVO:

So my experience is a good RTZ. These were shot at only 50 yards, using the mag as a monopod and my hand resting on a small bean bag. Not a great bench rest setup, but good enough.

As for the XCR in general, I bought when RA’s reputation wasn’t good. I went into it knowing the potential for CS issues. But it was the best choice for ergonomics and caliber swap and I couldn’t be happier. The only issue I’ve had was during “break in” they recommended going full gas with quality brass and it chewed up a little rubber buffer at the back of the receiver. Emailed CS and they sent me a replacement. Adjusted gas to get proper ejection without being over gassed (still flings cases 30’) and haven’t had any issues in about a decade. I also feel it’s less felt recoil than an AR in 5.56 and definitely less than an AK in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I love all 11 of mine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve always been intrigued by the XCR. But not enough to buy any. It’s definitely a neat design and a cool piece of history given that it was one of the SCAR trial submissions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#12]

No issues with the single bolt working loose?
View Quote

Nope. And my idea of proper torque for to get it snug and then try for another 45-60 degrees. I have never taken a torque wrench to it for the proper 250 in-lbs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
You have a ton of stock / brace options with the xcr.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I purchased my first Robinson Armament rifle back in the late 90's; an M96 Expeditionary Rifle. Customer service left a lot to be desired back then.   Recently I sent it in for the recall they had and Robinson was great to work with.  I ordered a XCR-M on their President's day sale and their communication during the build period was excellent and the rifle is fantastic.  I've exchanged emails with Alex a few times and he has been totally helpful.  I think they are trying hard to erase their early reputation for poor CS and I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone interested in their rifles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:52:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tenring10] [#16]
What is that stock please? I have one of the older XCRs, I'm assuming it would fit?

Is there a collapsible pistol brace like that for it that anyone knows about? I don't even shoot mine but might make a PDW out of it.

eta: meant to quote two posts above
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#17]
How many AR parts do they take?  In the last pic it looks like standard AR lower parts?

How expensive are replacement bbls?  Anyone else make them or are specs & necessary parts available?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
The more I look into these, the more I want one.

Anyone have any comments for an XCR-M?

I really want a 308 folder.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Good to see they're still offering Keymod...even over MLOK in some cases.  That's gonna be a winning formula for long term success...

I'm on the list for a top feed kit for my M96...but I'm not holding my breath.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:24:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#22]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:
The more I look into these, the more I want one.

Anyone have any comments for an XCR-M?

I really want a 308 folder.
View Quote

No personal experience, but anecdotally they are pretty accurate for what they are. The first batch went to Canada and some SnowMexican shot a 4" 600 yard group with his.

I'd have an M too if I didn't want another mouth to feed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MRW:
Rob Arms is the Genesis of the "two weeks!" put-off statement
View Quote

They are a small company, and of the Modular Piston Driven Rifles that were supposed to come out and take over the world, the XCR is the only one that actually lived up to that promise with caliber conversions you can actually buy.

Seriously, this is like a 10-15 man company producing a world class rifle. It didn't turn into vaporware like the Masada, they didn't use customers for Beta testers like Desert-Tech did, and they didn't sell you a $3000 SCAR on the promise of getting other barrel lengths and calibers and then leave you hanging.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#25]

I guess I can answer some of this.

XCR parts are proprietary. probably all that will interchange is flash hider, pistol grip and mags. Not counting MLOK/Keymod stuff.

RA sells barrel extensions and gas blocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
How many AR parts do they take?  In the last pic it looks like standard AR lower parts?

How expensive are replacement bbls?  Anyone else make them or are specs & necessary parts available?

I guess I can answer some of this.

XCR parts are proprietary. probably all that will interchange is flash hider, pistol grip and mags. Not counting MLOK/Keymod stuff.

RA sells barrel extensions and gas blocks.

Correct on all counts. The trigger is patterned after the Garand fire control system, so nothing there will interchange with an AR. The current triggers are match-grade anyway, so there's no need to "upgrade".

As far as the barrel retaining bolt, the ones on my rifle and that of my brother's have never loosened at all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I really enjoy both my L and M SBRs, but both can be annoying when shooting with the brake and not the suppressor. Gratuitous picture of my M below.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Only thing I can add is I have these M96’s.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#29]

What about after several heat cycles like, say, a couple mag dumps? Any loosening?

My initial reaction is that one screw and a dimple in the barrel is inadequate for the job. But if it works it works.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:

Nope. And my idea of proper torque for to get it snug and then try for another 45-60 degrees. I have never taken a torque wrench to it for the proper 250 in-lbs.

What about after several heat cycles like, say, a couple mag dumps? Any loosening?

My initial reaction is that one screw and a dimple in the barrel is inadequate for the job. But if it works it works.

Those bolts do a pretty solid job. They don't budge when torqued properly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MRW:
Rob Arms is the Genesis of the "two weeks!" put-off statement
View Quote

Alex is nothing if not an enthusiastic optimist. The poor engineers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Any loss of zero when pulling/mounting the barrel(s)?  

They're supposed to be bringing the M96 back.  At least as a limited run.  I shot an M96 back in '99 and liked it okay.  I guess I should have bought it.  

Who else was he supposed to support?  Obama?  
View Quote

Was for 2008 not 2012
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my XCR.  Have had it for ten years now and put thousands of rounds through it.

I'd really like one of the new stocks.  Just can't seem to justify the money though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Aha as a primary candidate, then.

View Quote

Correct. Not when he was the nominee.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Looks groovy.

What's the availability of the FAST 3 stock?
View Quote

I'm not sure if they sell the FAST3 stock separately or not. It functions well but I don't like the way it looks.

My L SBR has the original FAST stock while my M SBR has the FAST2 stock. The only difference is the FAST2 has a horizontal locking lever and thumbscrew to eliminate all movement, while the original FAST has a vertical locking lever and wiggles a bit (no more than a normal M4 stock on an buffer tube does). When I talked to Alex about the differences at SHOT, he indicated he preferred the original FAST stock as it's less parts and easier to adjust quickly, but given customers were complaining about the stock having some movement in it once set, he added the thumbscrew to permit the stock to be basically locked down at whatever position the user wanted (at the detriment of being able to adjust it quickly if needed).
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
Only thing I can add is I have these M96’s.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54333/B4006386-533C-44AD-A637-6EF3CF3E9750-1376322.jpg
View Quote

Your middle carbine is why I got on the wait list for the new run, if they even decide to go through with it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#38]

I guess my complaint with the FAST2 is no sling swivel. The swivel is on the bottom side underneath the hinge. It doesn't really look like a very good spot.

Any experience with the ACR stock adapter from Lucky Irish or Fighting Irish or whatever?

I like the solidity of the ACR stock but don't like the open trench at the back when it is fully extended.

Anyway, I wonder if it might not be a good option for those who might be too happy with the FAST.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mdavis:

The only difference is the FAST2 has a horizontal locking lever and thumbscrew to eliminate all movement, while the original FAST has a vertical locking lever and wiggles a bit....

I guess my complaint with the FAST2 is no sling swivel. The swivel is on the bottom side underneath the hinge. It doesn't really look like a very good spot.

Any experience with the ACR stock adapter from Lucky Irish or Fighting Irish or whatever?

I like the solidity of the ACR stock but don't like the open trench at the back when it is fully extended.

Anyway, I wonder if it might not be a good option for those who might be too happy with the FAST.

Good point. I normally don’t run a sling on my XCRs given they are mostly range toys, but I agree the FAST2 stock was not designed with sling use in mind.

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with an ACR stock on the XCRs, but I do like the ACR stock itself. I don’t think the issue you described is worrisome. Magpul’s UBR stock is similar in that regard and I’ve never read complaints about it.

The FAST3 might be a decent option given it has multiple sling options and the cheek weld might be more consistent with the straight riser, but I don’t have any time with one to form an opinion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#39]

It seems the XCR was dismissed arbitrarily because RA failed to include the required blank firing adapter. If that's truly the case I assume someone at the factory immediately lost a job.

Things might have gone slightly different had the XCR better fully tested. But ultimately the SCAR program fizzled. At least as an M4 carbine replacement.

Speaking of military acceptance; has the XCR been purchased by an armed force? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a European country was looking at the XCR as a potential service rifle. But that's just a vague memory at this point. I could be getting confused with the SCAR or ACR.
View Quote

I observed other than DoD alphabet agency personnel with them at Washington Helipad, Green Zone, Baghdad, Iraq in 2007-2008.

It has been a long time since looking at the manufacturers yearly totals report published by the ATF.  Suffice to say in the past Robinson exported to one or more countries besides Canada. Lets assume limited numbers for police special response units  military test and evaluation and dignitary protection details.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:18:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: B44T] [#40]

It seems the XCR was dismissed arbitrarily because RA failed to include the required blank firing adapter. If that's truly the case I assume someone at the factory immediately lost a job.

Things might have gone slightly different had the XCR better fully tested. But ultimately the SCAR program fizzled. At least as an M4 carbine replacement.

Speaking of military acceptance; has the XCR been purchased by an armed force? I seem to remember reading somewhere that a European country was looking at the XCR as a potential service rifle. But that's just a vague memory at this point. I could be getting confused with the SCAR or ACR.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
I’ve always been intrigued by the XCR. But not enough to buy any. It’s definitely a neat design and a cool piece of history given that it was one of the SCAR trial submissions.

It was. When the mistake was realized the BFA's were sent FedEx overnight. They arrived in time but it made no difference. One of the details of the plainly stated requirements of submission for competition was shipped with BFA included. Fail.
Things like the SCAR trials and other equipment trials are less about the better mouse trap and more about politics and contacts. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:41:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I really enjoy both my L and M SBRs, but both can be annoying when shooting with the brake and not the suppressor. Gratuitous picture of my M below.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142825/XCR-M_SBR-972874.jpg
View Quote

I like that. What barrel length and what’s the weight?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:07:38 AM EDT
[#42]
The XCR is a great rifle. I don't know how it makes sense and I'm not trying to be offensive in saying this, but it's better than the company that makes it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By chewbacca:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chewbacca:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142825/XCR-M_SBR-972874.jpg

12” and portly.

I’ll get back to you on the actual weight later today.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:10:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#44]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:27:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#46]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to want one. This thread makes me want one again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top