Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Pic request: ARs w/ M203 (Page 1 of 5)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/3/2006 6:21:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tony_k]
I want to set up my AR for when the RDIAS arrives and I've decided to "geek" out by setting up an M4 with the M203 attached.  Then while looking around I saw a 9" version of the M203 that attaches to the rail only and not the bbl.  This intrigued me as you could add it to a shorter bbl. upper.

I'd love to see pics of the rail only attachment setup, especially on a shorter bbl. AR... plus pics of any M4 sized setups people have with the M203 attached would be great as well.

If I wanted to set it up as close as possible to the real thing, what am I missing:

14.5" M4
ACOG?  
M203
Collapsible stock
A3 top or carry?

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's my rifle and accessories, the flowers belong to the wife. A buddy wanted to see some ammo that I use and made, so I did up this pic.
I also made up the QD quadrant sight to fit the KAC rail. I've got closer pics of that if anyone is interested.
The top "battle sight" is not useable with the Elcan sight, but threw it on to show where it goes.
I made the orange projectiles myself and use the Def Tec cases. I get about 425m out of these loads, and have a ton-o-fun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
And here is one of my rifle/203 and a buddy's rifle with the HK launcher.

Oh, and these are up here in Canada as well. Privately owned. So we do have a bit of "stuff" to play with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Scott!!!  

Rob
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Followup question,  are there any reasonably-available rounds which are too long to fit in an M203 but do fit in a break-action like M79 or the HK launcher?

If so, then I may save me pennies and get a break-action launcher.

I know that the practice HE chalk is all that most shoot and those fit fine in M203.
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]

I've since changed the rail to a Larue 13.2.  

Mine is the 9" rail mount version from LMT.  It opens wider than the Colt M203.  I think the longest shell I've been able to load is about 7" (a prototype load a company is developing.)  Otherwise, chalk rounds are fairly easy to come by but not terribly cheap.  Figure anywhere from $5 to $10 per round.  There are other rounds available too:  beehives, 12 gauge adapters, parachute flares, less-lethal, barrier penetrators, smoke, etc.  So far I haven't found a shell that I couldn't get to fit.  Doesn't mean there aren't any out there, I just haven't found one.

Link Posted: 5/26/2006 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the REAL DEAL!! I took these while deployed. M4's w/12" Colt M203's.

Tom
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By jazmyn:
Here is the REAL DEAL!! I took these while deployed. M4's w/12" Colt M203's.
Tom

Nice.  Oh, and mine is the real deal too.  It is a registered 40mm DD wth the NFA.  If I could get my hands on some HEDP, I'd be GTG.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice pics guys.  Thanks!

Scollins,

What grip is that you have on your ARs?

Is 9" the bbl length on that one?  I'm wondering what the overall length is and if it would fit under a 11.5" bbl.  I wonder how that would look....

Thanks again for the pics.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 1:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Robbo] [#9]

Originally Posted By Scollins:
There are other rounds available too:  beehives, 12 gauge adapters, parachute flares, less-lethal, barrier penetrators, smoke, etc.  So far I haven't found a shell that I couldn't get to fit.  Doesn't mean there aren't any out there, I just haven't found one.

Any idea where a good place to buy those various rounds is?

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 2:22:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scollins] [#10]

Originally Posted By Robbo:
Nice pics guys.  Thanks!

Scollins,

What grip is that you have on your ARs?

Is 9" the bbl length on that one?  I'm wondering what the overall length is and if it would fit under a 11.5" bbl.  I wonder how that would look....

Thanks again for the pics.

Rob

I run Tango Down Battlegrips on all my ARs.  

That is the 9" barrel.  I just measured the OAL and it is 12.5".  The LMT could be mounted one or two slots further back, but the handguard nut on the Larue interferes with the top of the receiver.  A smaller diameter handguard nut would clear it just fine.  I was able to mount it one slot further back on the DD rail, but not two slots because it contacted the mag well.  Either way, it sounds like it will be really close on an 11.5" barrel (plus flash hider.)

Any idea where a good place to buy those various rounds is?

Thanks,
Rob

Clyde Armory usually has 40mm chalk rounds (although spendy.)  These guys seem to have quite a selection, but a crack smoker prices.  I've never ordered from either.

You can also get very creative with reloading your own.  Check out Grog's website and forums for more information.
grog101.forumco.com/default.asp
www.freewebs.com/grog/products.htm

Grog's forum also has a for sale section, check out some items there.

Randy Shivak makes a beehive adapter and some other items:  www.mr40mm.com/page4.html

I picked up some triple action CS smoke, CS and OC barrier penetrators from a seller on www.subguns.com  
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 1:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerFish] [#11]

The REAL DEAL @ the Colt booth - S.H.O.T. Show
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By koldt:

Oh, and these are up here in Canada as well. Privately owned. So we do have a bit of "stuff" to play with.
www3.telus.net/hansonk/wmd1.jpg

It's my understanding that in Canada, the muzzle velocity is one of the things that determines whether something is a "firearm" or not and as such, the 40mm stuff is not regulated as a firearm?  Is this (still) the case?

One thing I'd really like is an HK standalone launcher, but I'll probably never be able to get one here in the states.  Only the very well-connected here get that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
nicccccccccceeeee
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]

koldt, what type of flash hider is on your buddy's rifle?  I am assuming it is for a quick-release sound suppressor...which company?

And my compliments on your VERY nice rifle/203 combo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Great  pics!  Thanks for the info kdolt.  Did you get your info on making the 40 rds from the pages listed above in this thread?  Any idea how much $$$/rd you have in them?

Love the guns!

Rob
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By jblachly:

It's my understanding that in Canada, the muzzle velocity is one of the things that determines whether something is a "firearm" or not and as such, the 40mm stuff is not regulated as a firearm?  Is this (still) the case?

One thing I'd really like is an HK standalone launcher, but I'll probably never be able to get one here in the states.  Only the very well-connected here get that kind of stuff.

Exactly, anything with a muzzle velocity of less than 500fps is not considered a firearm and therefore the same legal status as a coffee pot.

Also means we have to ensure that our loads stay below that as well, which hasn't been a real problem as of the last 15 years of my re-loads. I actually chronoed some this spring and found the hotter loads of 5.5 Bullseye with my plastic projectiles came out at avg. 425fps. I get around 400-425 metres and minute of B27 target accuracy at 100m from this load.

The "factory" rounds are stipulated at around 275fps in the liturature. They are hard to get up here, so the ones I have, I try to save for the demo days.

JoshNC, sorry, I didn't ask and he's away on holidays. I wasn't too interested in the flash hider when we went out for the day.

The one thing I liked about his HK was the ability to have double action re-hits with the trigger. The 203 is just single action and then if you have one of the notorious light primer hits, you have to open it up to re-cock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Robbo:
Great  pics!  Thanks for the info kdolt.  Did you get your info on making the 40 rds from the pages listed above in this thread?  Any idea how much $$$/rd you have in them?

Love the guns!

Rob

Rob, I've been doing my own R&D on 40mm loads for the 203 since I purchased it in 1989. I've tried wood, cast metal, lead, cast plastic and a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten about.

What I settled with are these ones. I found a company in my town that sells the plastic stock in 2" O.D. and 10ft lengths. After a bit of trial and error, I found the contour design that you see in the pic to work best and pretty good accuracy with decent distance. The plastic is basically the same as cutting board plastic. I've re-used the projos some up to 10 times with very good results.

The hardest part is trying to find them on the range. I first started with white projectiles and after losing a bunch of them in the snow, I started painting them a flourescent orange. I then asked the same company, and they were able to bring in the orange rod/stock for me to take to the machinist shop.

I try to purchase and have machined a few of the projectiles at a time to cut the machining costs down. I've usually had them done in lots of 500. I've sold a few of the projectiles in large lots for $5US a head. Not bad considering the factory rounds are about the same per round, and all you get is one shot. Mine, like I say, if you find it, you can shoot it again.

I've been using the Def-Tec aluminium cases mostly. The plastic ones are OK, but a bit more work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 8:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: koldt] [#18]
On another note, my barrel started life as 12" long. I had it cut down to 9" and turned out great. Can't tell it's not factory. I also have a spare 12".

Our military did a lot of testing with the different barrel lengths and found that there was no noticable improvement over the 9" barrel with the 12". So all of our issued Diemaco manufacured M203s have 9" barrels. I guess I should be calling them "Colt Canada" now.

Link Posted: 5/29/2006 8:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: labrat454] [#19]
Ok noob here on 40mm.  I have some questions:

1: Whats the cost of a M203?

2: What rounds are available?  I know HE is out, even if you could get a sign off who would sell you 1 and its $200 per.

3: How hard is it to reload them.

4: How far do they shoot and what FPS (I see koldt reloads them for 450+/-FPS)

5: Whats the ammo type differences between 37mm and 40mm launchers (other than 3mm, LOL)?

6: Anything else you will say about the 40mm stuff for a noob.

Thanks...

Link Posted: 5/29/2006 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a pic of my 203 on one of the "feux KAC" stand alone units... I couldn't/didn't want to afford the real unit at around $1500, so I grabbed the airsoft (gag) standalone. But you know what, the thing works and it works well. Very strong and at 1/10th the price.
I'm not bringing it to a crowd control scene or the middle of Khandahar, so it works well for me at the range to have some fun.
EVERYTHING else I own is original factory, except this stand alone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
And here is a pic of the Canadian military Diemaco C7 with the Diemaco M203. As you can see it isn't a lot different than the Colt made M203. Other than the mount, it's the same, except for the sight.
It's disappointing to see our gov't spend a lot of money uselessly (again) on designing something that was already in existence.

And the front sight. Again, waaayyy over designed POS.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a good shot of one
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 1:52:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TopCrest] [#23]
Just brought her home today about 8 hours ago.
Link Posted: 6/4/2006 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, I'll have to raise you a pimped out ride.
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 9:26:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: altav] [#25]
It's threads like these that make me go out and spend money... Damn you all...

ETA: Does anyone have a pic of a 9" M203 on an SBR?
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By altav:
ETA: Does anyone have a pic of a 9" M203 on and SBR?

You read my mind.
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By mattld:

ETA: Does anyone have a pic of a 9" M203 on and SBR?

You read my mind.

And by SBR, I meant 11.5" or shorter barrel length.
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#28]
The M203 won't fit on an 11" barrel, and the barrel has to be contoured properly, eg. M4, 14.5", or be the full length with 20".

The only thing, presently, that the 203 will go on is the 20", or the 14.5 and 16" with the cut out for the clamp.
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess there is always the RAS/picurweenie type mount system, but that isn't the most common.
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]

The M203 won't fit on an 11" barrel, and the barrel has to be contoured properly, eg. M4, 14.5", or be the full length with 20".

The only thing, presently, that the 203 will go on is the 20", or the 14.5 and 16" with the cut out for the clamp.

I think he meant something like a Noveske 10.5" with a LaRue 9.0 or 11.0 SBS rail system and a LMT 9" rail mounted M203.

Wonder what I am thinking of????

Link Posted: 6/10/2006 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#31]

I guess there is always the RAS/picurweenie type mount system, but that isn't the most common.

LMT makes a rail mounted version... Is there anything wrong with the "RAS/picurweenie " version that would make it undesirable?
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Please, do tell.
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Please, do tell.

Haha.  Rhetorical question.

I was just commenting about the detailed specifics I thought you were thinking of, or was it me that wants that set up???    Oops, Freudian slip.......

Seriously though, if I had the excess funds, a 9" LMT M203 on a LaRue 11.0 SBRS with a Noveske 10.5" barrel and KX3 would be nice.

Like this picture from LaRue but with the M203.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
This was me and two buddies today.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:01:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Watcher-] [#35]
What type of license does it take to transfer a destructive device?  Would an ordinary Class III SOT be able to sell one or would I have to search out someone special?
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Koldt, Very nice 203's!

Do you know if they can still be "aquired" in Canada? Im thinking of an AR, and these pics pushed me over the boundry (got my restricted PAL BTW)
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#37]
They still have no status under law up here. So basically it's the same as a toaster. So can be purchased by anyone without any type of license or permit.

TSE has one right now for sale. Big bucks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, guess it'll be worth the money in the end.
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey, great thread. Im dying to find one of these bad boys-

there was another thread going about suppliers, but it never panned out to anything. anyone got a lead on where you can pick up the launcher? I can get the projectiles no problem= but I dont know where to start looking for the launcher.

Josh-man
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#40]
TTT
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By josh-man:
Hey, great thread. Im dying to find one of these bad boys-

there was another thread going about suppliers, but it never panned out to anything. anyone got a lead on where you can pick up the launcher? I can get the projectiles no problem= but I dont know where to start looking for the launcher.

Josh-man

Try Et-Cetera. I've been on the list for 2 months now. I should have mine(37mm) in the next two weeks.

Et-Cetera phone number - 423-496-9050
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 9:17:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shark15] [#42]

ETA: more pics

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#43]
so when is someone going to mount one on a AR pistol and post pics?
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#44]
LMT MRP CQB w/ LMT M203

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:

We need to get flat dark earth barrel covers/hand grips for our LMT's!!  I called LMT, the bad news being "black only."    Time for the rattle can I suppose.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#48]
This might be a first.....

Link Posted: 8/9/2006 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#49]

[We need to get flat dark earth barrel covers/hand grips for our LMT's!!  I called LMT, the bad news being "black only."    Time for the rattle can I suppose.....

Who will step up to the plate! Dark Earth M203 handguards. Yes!
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#50]

This might be a first.....

home.comcast.net/~scott.collins4/AR10/AR10_M203.jpg

NNNNIIIICCCCEEEE!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Tacked Pic request: ARs w/ M203 (Page 1 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top