Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
VA-gunnut has added this thread to the Night Vision Picture Threads post at the top of the forum.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Trying to post something worth viewing after RustedAce posts is rough.  My 9mm AR is a bit different so I'll go ahead and throw these pics up.  
Suppressed and SBRd K9GL with LAS/TAC IR laser and Inforce WML white/IR light.

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By autumnsong:
Trying to post something worth viewing after RustedAce posts is rough.  My 9mm AR is a bit different so I'll go ahead and throw these pics up.  
Suppressed and SBRd K9GL with LAS/TAC IR laser and Inforce WML white/IR light.

...and an Estwing!

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]

It is pictures like these that force me to keep pissing my wife off.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Crimson Trace Rail Master IR

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 7:53:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#7]

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 1:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TV-PressPass] [#8]
Question for folks more experienced with IR lasers:

Does anyone mount their unit on a 45 degree offset rail?

The reason I ask is:

I've got my eye on a Drakos I laser setup with a remote switch.

It'll be going onto my Tavor, and while I could install the full flattop rail, I'm trying to keep this setup tight and light (hence the 15" SBR barrel as well)

But when something like that is offset at an angle, obviously your windage & elevation doesn't match up downrange anymore. Is it enough to zero a laser at 100 yards on the flattop and then rotate it to the 45 offset mount? I've done that before, but with a 7moa reflex sight at 25 yards, so the difference was negligible.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TV-PressPass:
Question for folks more experienced with IR lasers:

Does anyone mount their unit on a 45 degree offset rail?

The reason I ask is:

I've got my eye on a Drakos I laser setup with a remote switch.

It'll be going onto my Tavor, and while I could install the full flattop rail, I'm trying to keep this setup tight and light (hence the 15" SBR barrel as well)

But when something like that is offset at an angle, obviously your windage & elevation doesn't match up downrange anymore. Is it enough to zero a laser at 100 yards on the flattop and then rotate it to the 45 offset mount? I've done that before, but with a 7moa reflex sight at 25 yards, so the difference was negligible.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8297509519_6244bc1e3d_c.jpg

If you zero an optic then put it somewhere else, its not zeroed anymore. Mount optics/lasers where you'll utilize them, the adjust the laser to where it neds to be. Same as zeroing any other optic. Angle the gun if you need to, but don't use an optic thatsnot zeroed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Mount it where it will "live" and adjust it like that.  Just be aware that you will have to adjust it differently - it's like an Etch-A-Sketch, move it one click azimuth, then one elevation.  A little bit more complicated than simply mounting it horizontal or vertical, but assuming it doesn't outrun the adjustments, it should zero just fine.

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
"Angle the gun if you need to, but don't use an optic thatsnot zeroed."

Derp.

Angling the gun on the bench makes a hell of a lot more sense. Add in the etchasketch style and it should be pretty do-able. I'm trying to keep the rifle light without adding the full flattop or handguard rails.

And no, I learned a long time ago that using an optic that hasn't been zeroed and saying "it'll be fine" just leads to wasted ammo and frustrating range sessions. Worse things still if you're actually counting on it.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My REPR w/ DBAL-D2

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#14]
Whacked a skunk with this last weekend. Was out looking for a Dillo digging up my yard when I saw skunk approaching. Decided to take him out if he kept coming my way. Put the IR laser on him from about 30 yards, poof!@ He suddenly had 9 .30 holes in him and was knocked back 25 feet.

I use the T-1 for day shots.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]

CQBL at 12? Is there any splashback from the lasers being that close to the front sight?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smatthew] [#17]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

CQBL at 12? Is there any splashback from the lasers being that close to the front sight?

The red laser just a little at the end of the front sight guard when it's folded.  The IR laser makes the faintest of streaks down the middle.  That's a MI gas block FS.  I may file down the guard on the red side at some point.

ETA: in either case the aiming point is round and I can't see the splash back when I've got the rifle shouldered.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Few O' mine.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]

I moved mine back a notch from the end because I'm worried about melting the emitter.  Am I being needlessly paranoid?
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Smatthew:

I moved mine back a notch from the end because I'm worried about melting the emitter.  Am I being needlessly paranoid?

I haven't run into any issues and mine is way up at front.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#22]
A Cop buddy of mine let me take some pictures of his PEQ-14 on my M&P9

Gonna try to get some comparison pics against my DBAL/m600v combo, but I can already tell it's way too bright for actually using on a pistol. It's also huge.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
TCBA_Joe,

Those come standard with a set of 5 or 6 pattern generator filters.  The filters actually tone down the laser enough for use fairly up close.  Also the various shapes make it pretty easy to pick up, particularly if you are hunting/shooting with a group.

What it really needs is an adjustable cap for the IR illuminator.  It does have a neutral density filter, but that really shortens up the range and is mainly for indoor use.  Something like a PVS-7 adjustable IR light cover may do the trick.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ihon:
TCBA_Joe,

Those come standard with a set of 5 or 6 pattern generator filters.  The filters actually tone down the laser enough for use fairly up close.  Also the various shapes make it pretty easy to pick up, particularly if you are hunting/shooting with a group.

What it really needs is an adjustable cap for the IR illuminator.  It does have a neutral density filter, but that really shortens up the range and is mainly for indoor use.  Something like a PVS-7 adjustable IR light cover may do the trick.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. However, since it's not mine I'll pass the info along and it should come in handy if the filters are still laying aroung.

Once again, before I get the "oh noes that's illegal, someone call Agent Wu" treatment, this is an LEA issued piece of equipment he let me get some pics of. I couldn't afford the $2-3K to buy one even if I could.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 1:38:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SC-Texas] [#25]
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#26]
LWRCI M6 IC
Elcan Specter DR 1x-4x
Surefire 950V
LDI OTAL

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I got to thinking I would be able to find an even lower profile gas block FS and I did- the YHM model:

In the shot through the PVS-14 the .7 mW IR laser is the only light source in the scene (darkened room) so that is about as worst case as it gets.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#28]
Colt LE 6920 10.3"

Surefire MB556K

Surefire MINI

Surefire 952v

DBAL i2

Larue mount / T1 Micro

Vltor iMod

KAC RAS

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mhpoole:
Colt LE 6920 10.3"
Surefire MB556K
Surefire MINI
Surefire 952v
DBAL i2
Larue mount / T1 Micro
Vltor iMod
KAC RAS

Colt LE6920
TA31F / Larue
T1 Micro / Larue offset
DBAL i2 RED
TNVC ITT NightEnforcer Gen3 PVS14

Nice set ups. Oregon have any pigs up there yet?
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#31]
DBAL I2, Torch, YHM phantom 5.56 and a T1

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 12:22:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#32]

Originally Posted By bobweaver:

Originally Posted By mhpoole:

Colt LE 6920 10.3"

Surefire MB556K

Surefire MINI

Surefire 952v

DBAL i2

Larue mount / T1 Micro

Vltor iMod

KAC RAS
Colt LE6920

TA31F / Larue

T1 Micro / Larue offset

DBAL i2 RED

TNVC ITT NightEnforcer Gen3 PVS14

Nice set ups. Oregon have any pigs up there yet?
I don't think so.  If you are this way look me up brother.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Still unsure on mounting location but I like it towards the rear of the rail since its out of the way and keeps the weight more centered.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#35]
That seems like a hell of a brake for a .22!

Does it work well enough though?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TV-PressPass:
That seems like a hell of a brake for a .22!

Does it work well enough though?

Suppressor not pictured.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anybody with a CQBL know if you could put one on top of an ak sporting an Ultimak rail? Trying to figure out if that is a viable option, I know it will block the sights but will the beams clear the front sight hood or ears? I imagine they would be right at the height of the fsp, maybe on either side of it. I could mount an optic behind the cqbl pretty easily.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 4:59:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm done with this one for a little while

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 3:53:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow great hardware pics. Keep them coming!

AUG A3 with ELCAN SpecterDR, SF M952V Vampire light and LDI CQBL-1

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: learningcircles] [#42]
Just ran a carbine course equivalent (ish) with this one

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#43]
fairly new to this, but since i am using a peq2a that takes up a lot of rail space, i put it on the side, it seems like most of you have it mounted to the top rail, is there any disadvantage to mounting your ir device on the side rail?

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CT-Shooter:
fairly new to this, but since i am using a peq2a that takes up a lot of rail space, i put it on the side, it seems like most of you have it mounted to the top rail, is there any disadvantage to mounting your ir device on the side rail?

<a href="http://s95.photobucket.com/user/riceslayer302/media/IMG_20130518_215728_498_zps351206a4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/riceslayer302/IMG_20130518_215728_498_zps351206a4.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s95.photobucket.com/user/riceslayer302/media/IMG_20130518_215728_498_zps351206a4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/riceslayer302/IMG_20130518_215728_498_zps351206a4.jpg</a>

TNVC covered this question in their June 2012 newsletter quite well:

Laser Placement    
by: Chip
With the advent of the Class1 IR Laser systems from LDI, we are seeing a lot more lasers showing up on rifles.  This is great, because using an IR laser is the most effective way to employ your night vision goggles.  But, we are also seeing a lot of shooters improperly mounting their new lasers.  By this, I mean placing the laser on the side of the gun.

I generally teach people to mount their laser at the 12 o'clock rail position if at all possible.  The reason for this is simple: it makes getting your hits at varied distances a whole lot easier.  If you mount your laser at 12 o'clock and zero it the same as your optic, you are setting yourself up for success because you already know your holds for your optic.  Well, they are now the same for your laser.  At distances other than the exact distance of your zero, you can hold for elevation and squeeze the trigger.  That's all there is to it.

But, if you mount the laser at the 3 or 9 o'clock position, you add complications into your firing solution.  I'm not a fan of side-mounting a laser unless I absolutely have to in order to clear real estate for other mission-essential accessories like grenade launcher sights, or clip-on night vision devices.  This is usually the reason why Warfighters side mount their lasers.  Another reason is that their issued optic mount is a 100% co-witness with their iron sights, seating the red dot sight too low and causing the laser to partially obstruct their sight picture through the glass.  But, this shouldn't be an issue for the civilian or Law Enforcement professional.  Just buy a high mount.  It's better anyway.  But I digress.

Lasers go straight on to infinity from their emitter.  They are not affected by gravity like bullets.  At the point of impact of your zero, they will cross with the projectile and continue forward until they run out of energy.  A top-mounted laser causes you to only compensate for elevation in this case.  But, a side-mounted laser will continue left or right past the point of impact for your zero, respective to which side it is mounted on the rail.  Now, you have to compensate for elevation and windage.  And, since I'm not that good at math, I like to make it as simple as possible.

So, if you aren't running other gear at the 12 o'clock position, do yourself a favor and put your laser there.

I'd consider moving the EOTech back a bit and top mounting if possible. That said, as my picture in this thread shows, I've got my IR laser on my OBR mounted on the side to leave room for a clip-on when I can afford one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone make a fixed or folding front sight that's skeletonized, or has a well-spaced hole drilled in the tower to allow a beam to shine through?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:
Does anyone make a fixed or folding front sight that's skeletonized, or has a well-spaced hole drilled in the tower to allow a beam to shine through?
View Quote

Reminds me of the old Laser Products Corporation (Surefire) visible red laser that shines through the FSB. I'm sure you can modify your own.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

I'd consider moving the EOTech back a bit and top mounting if possible. That said, as my picture in this thread shows, I've got my IR laser on my OBR mounted on the side to leave room for a clip-on when I can afford one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Laser Placement    
by: Chip
With the advent of the Class1 IR Laser systems from LDI, we are seeing a lot more lasers showing up on rifles.  This is great, because using an IR laser is the most effective way to employ your night vision goggles.  But, we are also seeing a lot of shooters improperly mounting their new lasers.  By this, I mean placing the laser on the side of the gun.

I generally teach people to mount their laser at the 12 o'clock rail position if at all possible.  The reason for this is simple: it makes getting your hits at varied distances a whole lot easier.  If you mount your laser at 12 o'clock and zero it the same as your optic, you are setting yourself up for success because you already know your holds for your optic.  Well, they are now the same for your laser.  At distances other than the exact distance of your zero, you can hold for elevation and squeeze the trigger.  That's all there is to it.

But, if you mount the laser at the 3 or 9 o'clock position, you add complications into your firing solution.  I'm not a fan of side-mounting a laser unless I absolutely have to in order to clear real estate for other mission-essential accessories like grenade launcher sights, or clip-on night vision devices.  This is usually the reason why Warfighters side mount their lasers.  Another reason is that their issued optic mount is a 100% co-witness with their iron sights, seating the red dot sight too low and causing the laser to partially obstruct their sight picture through the glass.  But, this shouldn't be an issue for the civilian or Law Enforcement professional.  Just buy a high mount.  It's better anyway.  But I digress.

Lasers go straight on to infinity from their emitter.  They are not affected by gravity like bullets.  At the point of impact of your zero, they will cross with the projectile and continue forward until they run out of energy.  A top-mounted laser causes you to only compensate for elevation in this case.  But, a side-mounted laser will continue left or right past the point of impact for your zero, respective to which side it is mounted on the rail.  Now, you have to compensate for elevation and windage.  And, since I'm not that good at math, I like to make it as simple as possible.

So, if you aren't running other gear at the 12 o'clock position, do yourself a favor and put your laser there.

thanks for posting that, i am going to try to rearrange things after reading that
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Work gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]

You win.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I have an old SIG 229 in .357SIG that is a great pistol but does not have the trigger rail for lasers.

I installed a Crimson Trace 0.7mW IR Laser and an internal guide rod LaserMax Red Laser as a backup for our hog hunting adventures.

It is loaded with 15 rounds of CorBon 125 grain 1,450fps 585 pounds of lead and rests in a Galco Miami Vice holster with two spare mags

Freakin' Awesome handgun!
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top