Originally Posted By Postal0311:
Price?
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to get educated on this wizard stuff.

If you told me for $300 I could see in the dark, I'd prob f'o. But IK wizard magic costs more than that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
I need to get educated on this wizard stuff.

If you told me for $300 I could see in the dark, I'd prob f'o. But IK wizard magic costs more than that.
View Quote
You'd be correct!

This is just an improved chassis for your expensive, and already purchased, guts.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By UNV:
We have a special deal on the first 100 units we will be offering for $300 each as special introductory price. This is an effort to get these awesome chassis in your hands as cheap as we can so you can see the quality and capability.
View Quote
I don't see anything on your site. Can you expound on the special capabilities?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
So it is more expensive than a Vyper-14.  Hmm

I would kinda be worried that aluminium would bend/crack at times when plastic would bend.  That if you dropped this on a hard surface that it might fail before the plastic would.

As someone who makes parts for a living, I would wonder if aluminum was chosen for the ability to make it on already available milling machines vs making new molds.

Anyways...

Does the M14 have similar improvements that the Vyper-14 has?

You say the M14 is lighter than other aluminum housing, I am curious what the other options are.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UNV] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Aluminum is nearly impervious to cracking in all but the most extreme situations. Plastic/Ultem will crack especially in the cold. If you grab a housing and bounce it off the ground it will crack.  Aluminum has better crush protection and gaskets/o-rings seal better on aluminum. Aluminum is also the only metal that does not adsorb water. The downside to aluminum housings has always been weight, but due to the advanced design of the M14 the weight increase is minimal. The M14 chassis is 64 grams and a legacy housing is 30 grams which means you add 30 grams / .3 of 1 oz. That amount of weight is virtually impossible to tell a difference.   If you add an ether like in the picture you can cut that down to 12 grams.
Yes the M14 has a hard shoe interface on the opposite side of the 1/4 -20. The M14 also comes ready to install a D-collar so you eliminate the close focus stop ring, and don't have to completely disassemble the unit to remove the objective lens. This is very helpful when assembling or servicing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Aluminum is nearly impervious to cracking in all but the most extreme situations. Plastic/Ultem will crack especially in the cold. If you grab a housing and bounce it off the ground it will crack.  Aluminum has better crush protection and gaskets/o-rings seal better on aluminum. Aluminum is also the only metal that does not adsorb water. The downside to aluminum housings has always been weight, but due to the advanced design of the M14 the weight increase is minimal. The M14 chassis is 64 grams and a legacy housing is 30 grams which means you add 30 grams / .3 of 1 oz. That amount of weight is virtually impossible to tell a difference.   If you add an ether like in the picture you can cut that down to 12 grams.
Yes the M14 has a hard shoe interface on the opposite side of the 1/4 -20. The M14 also comes ready to install a D-collar so you eliminate the close focus stop ring, and don't have to completely disassemble the unit to remove the objective lens. This is very helpful when assembling or servicing.
Now I kinda held off responding because I didn't know what to say.

I ask these questions because I am interested in this product and really want one.  But what you say makes me suspicious.

I'm a machinist, I work with aluminum almost every day.  It is not hard to crack it.  Thin pieces of aluminum can be bent by hand, cracked, and broken, like most metals.

Aluminum is also the only metal that does not adsorb water.
It has been a while since I took a chemistry class, but that sounded like BS to me.  So I contacted a chemist I know and asked him about it.  He called BS on that too.

What next, are you going to tell us that this product cures cancer, regrows hair, and fixed erectile dysfunction?

Is there an honest salesman at your company I can contact with questions about this product and place an order?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these still available?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
looks like a plastic battery housing tho.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you still offering these at $300? Are these housings only compatible with pvs14 objectives? Can you speak to the differences with the m-15 housing?

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Any kind of up-armor kits available? With Hyper housing, Ti ring, ether piece, etc? Package bundle discount?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#20]
@UNV

I’ve sent an inquiry using your site messaging system regarding this chassis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top