Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2018 5:51:44 PM EDT
As stated, I need to remove the primer pocket crimp on close to 1000 7 62x51 cases. I've been using a drill pit I found appropriate for 5.56 I've turned into 300blk cases, but I'm not happy with that method on 7.62x51. To swage or ream?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m using a reamer. Mine is set up in a RCBS case prep center.

You can also mount the reamer in a variable speed drill or press.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the reamer only do go/no go (where you can't over ream as long as you don't waller it out) or can you still over do it? I would like to use a technique that has a positive stop where you can't go further than needed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Dillon's Super Swage.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Hornady crimp cutter. Cuts quick and clean.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a carbide 60 degree single flute  5/16th center bit in my lathe

You could use it all n your drill if you put it in a vise

I did the reamer thing, trouble is they wear eventually  making the hole smaller

Primers are difficult to then seat

Trim after you ream as the necks are then sharp

Wear thin gloves to avoid blesters
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Dillon's standalone swager, which appears faster but more spendy.
Or
RCBS swaging die, which is cheaper and slower.

I've had some reamers take off too much material and leave loose primer pockets.
I prefer swaging.

The RCBS die works well and does both sides.
I use it in a single stage press.  
Turn on the radio and go to town.
You get into a rhythm like any repetitive task.

The Dillon unit appears faster looking at it because of the way the brass is loaded and unloaded into/from the unit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a countersink to remove the crimp.  Not too much, just enough.  You'll hear a lot of people that say not to because it ruins the case, I haven't seen it.  Sometimes I use a Lyman reamer for some Speer brass with tight pockets but there are lots of folks that have their preference for, swaging, reaming, or using a countersink.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Did this a couple of weeks ago; the Super Swage makes it unbelievably easy.

I couldn't imagine trying to take those crimps out with a chamfuring tool.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like swage is where it's at by sheer volume alone. Anyone want to give me the skinny on primer pocket uniformer. I.e. what/why?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Before buying a Dillon swager, I used the press mounted kit that RCBS makes.  I like the Dillon method much more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 EDT
[Last Edit: richiemfmead] [#15]
Knowing what you know now do you like it enough to pay $106+ship for the Dillon vs. $24+ship for the rcbs die version?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I use the rcbs and just do batches of a hundred or so at a time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:35:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperDutyMikeMc] [#17]
Originally Posted By richiemfmead:
Knowing what you know now do you like it enough to pay $106+ship for the Dillon vs. $24+ship for the rcbs die version?
View Quote
If you're going to be removing crimps in bulk for the foreseeable future, then yes the Dillon is worth it over just about any other crimp removal solution.

If you're only doing this once every 5-10 years, then I'd probably save the money and do it via cheaper method.

I will say it's definitely a buy once cry once type situation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Tried the RCBS a few years ago, went to the Dillon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: COSteve] [#19]
Done
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:18:40 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
[/thread]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I use the Hornady in my drill press, does a lot better job than my Dillion Super Swager.

Frankford has come out with a new swager, looks a lot more user friendly than the Dillion.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Dillion's swager.  RCBS now has a separate swager tool, but never tried it.  Their older swager die worked, but slow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:16:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#23]
1,000 cases is a lot but is borderline of too few to justify the cost of the Dillon or RCBS swagers.

Here is a $9 alternative.  It has a built-in depth stop but you'll know by the feel when the crimp is gone.

If you have a drill motor or a drill press, unscrew the bit from the handle and put the bit in the chuck.  When motorized, it is as fast as the more expensive swagers and will make quick work of 1,000 cases.

Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
1,000 cases is a lot but is borderline of too few to justify the cost of the Dillon or RCBS swagers.

Here is a $9 alternative.  It has a built-in depth stop but you'll know by the feel when the crimp is gone.

If you have a drill motor or a drill press, unscrew the bit from the handle and put the bit in the chuck.  When motorized, it is as fast as the more expensive swagers and will make quick work of 1,000 cases.

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_749013134_4.jpg

View Quote
Screw it into a coupling nut. Makes it real easy to chuck up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_749013134_4.jpg

View Quote
Strictly cost/benefit ratio this one w/drill mod wins so far.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Dillon 1050 or....

http://swageit.com/

Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#27]
As stated, I need to remove the primer pocket crimp on close to 1000 7 62x51 cases. I've been using a drill pit I found appropriate for 5.56 I've turned into 300blk cases, but I'm not happy with that method on 7.62x51. To swage or ream?
View Quote
I own both the Hornady reamers (both sizes) and a Dillon Super Swage.  A key question is whether you're removing the crimp on cases with a variety of headstamps, or all the same headstamp.

If they're all the same (like all LC, even if the years vary), then the Dillon Super Swage, while costly, will minimize your case handling and the mess involved.  This is because the Dillon tool must be adjusted to accommodate the web thickness of each case.  With identical brass, the thickness is essentially identical, so you can set the tool up and swage away.  I have a couple gallons of 9mm brass, and somewhere near a gallon of 5.56 brass, plus around 1400 LC 7.62 cases that I am going to swage sometime soon.  They're all WCC (for the 9mm) or LC (the 5.56 and 7.62), so it's just going to be a matter of setting up the swage and working through them.

If they're all different, the Hornady reamers are the way to go.  They have a positive stop that indexes on the pocket itself, so you can't overdo.  You do have to pay attention to keeping each case square as you ream, and you'll have what looks like gold dust all over when you're done, but these tools will manage the job repeatably and safely.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Does the reamer only do go/no go (where you can't over ream as long as you don't waller it out) or can you still over do it? I would like to use a technique that has a positive stop where you can't go further than needed.
View Quote
I think the RCBS reamer does this instead of the Hornady.  The RCBS has the reamer and a fat shoulder, but the Hornady is done more by feel whether in a drill or on the prep center (Lyman).  I'll take a picture if I remember tomorrow, but I have both and have the RCBS attached and the Hornady in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
I own both the Hornady reamers (both sizes) and a Dillon Super Swage.  A key question is whether you're removing the crimp on cases with a variety of headstamps, or all the same headstamp.

If they're all the same (like all LC, even if the years vary), then the Dillon Super Swage, while costly, will minimize your case handling and the mess involved.  This is because the Dillon tool must be adjusted to accommodate the web thickness of each case.  With identical brass, the thickness is essentially identical, so you can set the tool up and swage away.  I have a couple gallons of 9mm brass, and somewhere near a gallon of 5.56 brass, plus around 1400 LC 7.62 cases that I am going to swage sometime soon.  They're all WCC (for the 9mm) or LC (the 5.56 and 7.62), so it's just going to be a matter of setting up the swage and working through them.

If they're all different, the Hornady reamers are the way to go.  They have a positive stop that indexes on the pocket itself, so you can't overdo.  You do have to pay attention to keeping each case square as you ream, and you'll have what looks like gold dust all over when you're done, but these tools will manage the job repeatably and safely.
View Quote
If I remember correctly its majoritivly LC brass, with a handful if Aguila brass thrown in (I have no idea why they decided to start crimping their pocket but none the less)
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
For 1k cases in one sitting, I find it hard to argue with the 1050 or a modified 650 set up for case prep.

You just drop loads of brass in the hopper and pull the handle. No repetitive task injuries if the ergos are set for your body size.

I used to hand prep Mil-Surp .30-06 cases by hand work when I was a kid, and even then I knew it was risking my hands.

If you can set up a Dillon Swage tool just right with the string and rubber band trick, it can go pretty fast and easy, but still requires finger manipulation for the feeding.

Go visit a friend with a modified 650 or a 1050 and see what I mean. You will probably start planning your purchase.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I use the Dillon Super Swage.

I found this tool to help eliminate a lot of guess work on setup and has made me more aware of variances between lots even with the same headstamp.

https://ballistictools.com/store/reloading-products/small-and-large-primer-pocket-gauges

I just processed a couple of thousand mostly LC brass using the Super Swage, and found one lot of LC 09 brass that still required minimal trimming with the hornady reamer even after swaging with the Dillon tool.

It also allowed me to sort through some FC brass and weed out some of the cases with loose primer pockets.

I can't recommend the primer pocket gauge enough.... great tool once you try it out!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Dillion

Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#34]
I use and like very much, the RCBS benchtop swager......works identical to Dillons except that it doesn't have to be mounted on the bench edge.
Picture below shows it set up for .223, but the 7.62 parts are shown on the bench in front.  the small part is the one that presses into the primer pocket.

I used the old press-mounted RCBS swager years ago.....it does work, but not effortless like this tool does.

As you see below, I have mine mounted with easy to remove, recessed nut inserts, between my Rock Chucker and my Trim Mate.  Once trimmed I can swage, then uniform pockets pretty quick.  The swager works well but I find it difficult to tell swaged from unswaged at the next loading, unless I'm careful to keep my unswaged, once fired LC brass from that swaged before.......so I like to spend one more second per round, and just bump the brass on the Trim Mate's military reamer after swaging, and before uniforming pockets, which rounds and shines up the pocket rim just a touch, making it easier to see that it was indeed swaged.

Midway has them on clearance right now for $74........swaging is easy with this tool.
RCBS Bench Swager at Midway USA

In fact Midway has the trim mate and military reamer, and uniformer on clearance as well.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=RCBS+trimmate&userItemsPerPage=48
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:33:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#35]
Originally Posted By Derek45:
Dillon 1050 or....

http://swageit.com/

https://i.imgur.com/IuGIBW8.jpg
View Quote
I have a Swageit for my 550B and 650XL and love them.

Every once in a while I'll end up with a case during the primer seating operation that didn't get swaged completely, but I can take that one out of the rotation and manually swage it a touch more and keep going.

The time savings of resizing/depriming and then swaging on the 650 with case feeder are not to be ignored when dealing with a bunch of brass.

With setup time included, I swap my 650 to the swage it if I have as few as 100pcs of brass to do.

ETA: I only use the swageit on the 550 for once fired 5.7x28 brass, but even if I didn't have the 650 with casefeeder I'd use the 550 for swaging and feed cases by hand before going back to using my Dillon Super Swager for large volume processing again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Here is the difference between the Hornady and the RCBS.  Both can get chucked up, the Hornady does have a positive stop, but I didn't like how the angled should can make the primer holes a bit oblong when using a drill or multi head prep center.  The RCBS has a shoulder so you just hold it until it stops cutting and the crimp is removed.

I also have the RCBS swager and it works well, but my bulk lots are mostly range pick up brass, so the uniformity wasn't there and it made priming inconsistent with a hand primer.

I have it mounted to the Lyman prep center, and it is SLOW going for bulk, much slower than the swager, but the primers go in smooth so I keep using it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
I use Hornady reamers chucked in a drill. They have a positive stop so you can't over ream.
View Quote
This, but mine are threaded into my case prep trio
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
That's good info - thanks. I had considered getting a Dillon but the problem is that if you buy "once fired" brass it's usually a mix and I wouldn't want to sort brass and readjust in between just to buy cheap brass. I'd rather spend the extra $20/K to buy uncrimped brass and save myself the headache. The Hornady reamers do work pretty well, but they will wear you out after a while. A glove is a must when holding the brass.
View Quote
Agreed on the "let's not sort a butt-load of supposedly once-fired brass" bit.  I hand deprime with a Harvey tool, so it's pretty obvious when I have a once-fired crimped case and when it's already been de-crimped.  But if your vendor will do it for you for 2¢ a case, that's great.

I haven't gotten quite to the "hand aching" point, but you need strong thumb muscles to get a bunch of cases reamed with the Hornady tools.  I go past wearing a glove, and wear a rubber-coated glove.  I have played with holding cases with my spark plug wire pliers, but I haven't gotten the technique down quite yet; my hand still gets tired, but differently from just holding the case with a glove...
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I use Mighty Armory on my single stage and then the Hornady LNL Swage kit on my AP.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I have done both.  I find the dillon to be hard to adjust to get a primer to go in right, and not go too far and be 'Stormy Daniels' loose.

The compromise is going to the edge of tight with the dillon and then hitting the primer pocket with a uniformer tool or a quick turn with a chamfer tool.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Put them in a box and send them here
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Dillon Super Swage
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
This or borrow some time on a friends 1050.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top