Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
NFA Grooming with MGs (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2024 7:06:47 AM EDT
I was at the range this past Saturday with a friend shooting some machine-guns.

This drew some onlookers (mostly younger adults)

I asked if they wanted to look and try it if they wanted to and went over how to handle them and gave some turns which made a lot of people happy and inquisitive about how one can buy a machine gun, etc.  Since the MAC was a hit with the crowd and live in GA I went on to talk about the semi-local history about MAC and Werbel etc.  One kid ordered the MAC man book from his phone he was so excited and never knew they originated in Georgia.

I think its important we share our hobbies and their history with young enthusiasts and pass on what we know.

Have fun, be safe and pass it on if you can.  That is all.

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Good point but wierd house of words for your title OP
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Transferable MGs have become a rich mans toy since 1986 and the heinous Hughes Amendment to the FOPA.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Are there any good MG get-togethers in the Georgia area? Or any good ranges where you can shoot steel? I’m looking for a range that offers more dynamic MG shooting opportunities.

Anyone ever been to River Bend? It seems cools from their website, but it sounds like it is sort of difficult to join.

I’m around the Atlanta area FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peachy:
Are there any good MG get-togethers in the Georgia area? Or any good ranges where you can shoot steel? I’m looking for a range that offers more dynamic MG shooting opportunities.

Anyone ever been to River Bend? It seems cools from their website, but it sounds like it is sort of difficult to join.

I’m around the Atlanta area FWIW.
View Quote

I'm not far from Atlanta - SW of it.

I too want to know if there are any outdoor shoots.  I have not been to river bend or anywhere else besides indoor ranges near me and the outdoor DNR range near La Grange - You can't shoot machine guns at the DNR range for some reason.  

I agree these are getting to be rich guy toys and in theory - machine guns or select fire are common use in every army and many police in the world but only wealthy can have in the US?  Seems counter to the principles of the constitution but what do I know.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe that Red Hill Range in Martin, GA has annual MG shoots.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]
They had the "All American Shoot" in 22 but not seeing anything for last year. Lost River is in WV, might check out the Hernando Sportsmans Club in FL

https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanMGS/

https://valadortactical.com/
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mike703:
I believe that Red Hill Range in Martin, GA has annual MG shoots.
View Quote

Came to post this. They do one or two a year. They've also done suppressed only shoots like the old AAC range days.

River bend is nice. I'm not a member but go to some of the open matches they host and meet people. Thats the easiest way to get membership. A member here is running for their board if you check in the HTF.  

I'm a member at Cherokee in Gainesville and there's only one pistol bay that they allow full auto, and its pistol caliber only.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By watsamatau:
They had the "All American Shoot" in 22 but not seeing anything for last year. Lost River is in WV, might check out the Hernando Sportsmans Club in FL
View Quote
Link to the Hernando MG shoot in FL: http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/machinegun.htm
Typically, nothing 'dynamic'.  One year that I went over a decade ago they did a small SMG match on the side but only like 3 people competed.  I went to it last year and didn't see them do that then.  

I've been going to the Port Malabar SMG match since around 2003 or so.  I think it was started back in the 80's and may be one of the longest held SMG matches.
It is the first Sunday of every month.
https://pmrpc.com/
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
A full auto 10/22 would make a great gateway gun (like gateway drugs).  It does well enough in Title 1 format. Suppressed is always a bonus.

I think many of us have watched more rounds through our collection than we’ve personally fired. Teaching moments as the culture-industry groomers like to say…

40 years ago somebody let me shoot a suppressed M3 grease gun and I was hooked…
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#11]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
A full auto 10/22 would make a great gateway gun (like gateway drugs).  It does well enough in Title 1 format. Suppressed is always a bonus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Funny you mention that.  My first MG was a full auto RR AMT Lightning in 1999.  John Norrell converted it to his system and used the lever selector.  I thought that would be the one and only MG I'd ever want.  Cheap to shoot and easily suppressed.  This was during the AWB so it was hard to get high grandfathered hi cap mags and there were no reliable 50 round options for the 10/22 back then.  30 round Eagle mags were the #1 recommended by Norrell back then as well as the Butler Creek 25 or 30 rounders.

I ran the crap out of that gun and wore out the plastic feed lips of several Eagle mags and later realized that I could just get a RR M16 for a little more and get the steel Ciener kit 30 round mags that basically never wore out.  So I sold the Norrell and got a RR M16.  Best decision I made.  

The Norrell and all FA 10/22 variants are all obviously using conversion parts vs a RR M16 where parts are not special MG conversion parts and readily available for spares.

I don't miss my Norrell anymore.  My M16 in 22LR runs great with Black Dog 50 round drums and I also have a belt fed LM7 belt fed 22LR upper.
I think many of us have watched more rounds through our collection than we've personally fired. Teaching moments as the culture-industry groomers like to say
I can relate to that.  Interesting to see how your gun runs when other people are shooting them....observe ejection patterns etc...
Here is an old video of my LM7 running a 500 round belt.  
One of my friend's son shooting it.  He may have been like 14 or 15 yrs old.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#12]
A kind gentleman allowed me to shoot his fullauto Uzi smg in 1985 when I was 8 years old at Bonnet’s range in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. There were frequently guys shooting fullauto there. I recall a Colt m16a1 and an AM180. I was hooked and knew immediately after shooting that Uzi that I would own MGs.

I let anyone with an interest shoot fullauto when I’m at the range. You never know if they will be a new MG addict in the future.

If we don’t get the next generation interested, collecting and shooting MGs will wither and die.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#13]

I think many of us have watched more rounds through our collection than we’ve personally fired. Teaching moments as the culture-industry groomers like to say…

40 years ago somebody let me shoot a suppressed M3 grease gun and I was hooked…
View Quote

It’s not uncommon for me to come home from a range with most of the ammo I took because I was letting curious folks at the range shoot my MGs instead. They are run to shoot but watching people shoot a MG for the first time is just too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I go through a LOT of ammo feeding mags to people. First mag is always free. If somebody wants to shoot something I have that day they just need to ask. It's one of the reasons I mostly collect weird guns, so I can share them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#15]
If it's someone who just wants to shoot a machine gun, I usually give them the M16 with 9 in. bbl. .22LR dedicated upper and a 25 round mag or two to play with.

If it's someone with an actual interest in the future purchase of a machine gun, I let them try the M16 in 5.56 and 9mm as well as .22LR.  And I let them shoot the (full size) Uzi in 9mm (and .22LR and/or .45 ACP if I have either conversion with me) to become acquainted with open bolt versus closed bolt machine guns.  I know at least one guy who did buy an SWD M11/9.  I ran across him a few years later, and he had sold it after a few years because he never shot it much.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
in the GA HTF, we do monthly 2gun matches in Madison, GA at an large outdoor range.  it’s owned by a fellow HTF member.

there’s always time to open shoot after & some people, myself included and another guy is an SOT, will bring MG’s if others wish to shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I did the same with some kids at the range.

I don't give too fits or any hoots about losing 200 rounds of ammo but those kids were extremely happy.

They even remember seeing an m11 for sale at a shop outside of town and the 4 were resolved to bunching money together to get it.

they were happy and I saw smiles. That made my day.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#18]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#19]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Transferable MGs have become a rich mans toy since 1986 and the heinous Hughes Amendment to the FOPA.

View Quote

I disagree , Until about 2005 or so they were affordable. Even if a little expensive. Riverbend used to be very anti machine gun. So much so they went after the leaseholder of the neighboring property to stop him from shooting machine guns on that property. They succeeded.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FNGfromGA] [#20]
I live in Atlanta and was at a range with my Thompson..One of the RSO’s was a petite female, who was looking at the gun… I ask her if she would like to fire it..  by the 7-8th round she was in the above the target and in the ceiling ( I did forewarn her about recoil and the Thompson is not the most ergonomic design IMHO)…

I agree a full sized Uzi with a forward grip  or full sized MP5 are great for first time shooters.. I shoot at Quickshot now since I moved, and it’s near my house… but I need to go to one of the outdoor shoots some time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FNGfromGA:
I live in Atlanta and was at a range with my Thompson..One of the RSO’s was a petite female, who was looking at the gun… I ask her if she would like to fire it..  by the 7-8th round she was in the above the target and in the ceiling ( I did forewarn her about recoil and the Thompson is not the most ergonomic design IMHO)…

I agree a full sized Uzi with a forward grip  or full sized MP5 are great for first time shooters.. I shoot at Quickshot now since I moved, and it’s near my house… but I need to go to one of the outdoor shoots some time.
View Quote

I’ve always been a bit nervous to let others shoot my MGs at indoor ranges for that reason. I have done it, but always have that puckered up feeling hoping they don’t shoot the ceiling on the first trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#22]

I’ve always been a bit nervous to let others shoot my MGs at indoor ranges for that reason. I have done it, but always have that puckered up feeling hoping they don’t shoot the ceiling on the first trigger pull.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FNGfromGA:

Any Thompson SMG owner who has let others shoot their Thompson has probably seen the Thompson transformed into an anti-aircraft gun.  For first time users, 10 rounds or fewer in the mag till they get a feel for the "climb".
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The Thompson doesn't fit me so the climb is worse than my M10/45 for me.

I always download the first mag for folks I don't shoot with a lot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Yep - that is a legit concern.  You have to be careful.  

I've seen some people shoot the ceiling with non-machineguns as well. Especially in that COVID & riots period.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#25]
Surprised nobody mentioned FA 22LR.  M16 22LR kit with 16 barrel 50 round drum and on a Grippod with a red dot is what I let newbies and kids shoot first.  Then play by ear what is next.  Amazing how many people can't find the dot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
Surprised nobody mentioned FA 22LR.  M16 22LR kit with 16 barrel 50 round drum and on a Grippod with a red dot is what I let newbies and kids shoot first.  Then play by ear what is next.  Amazing how many people can't find the dot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I'd be shooting up all the 22LR if I could find an upper for my Mac. I'll probably end up having to design one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

I'd be shooting up all the 22LR if I could find an upper for my Mac. I'll probably end up having to design one.
View All Quotes

As the Fleming .22 MAC uppers are around (for a price), I assume that you are referring to a drum magazine fed .22 upper for the MAC platform.  IIRC, people have tried shooting 10/22 form factor .22 drums in the Fleming .22 uppers with limited success.  Also, the A & D (sold by Bazooka Bros.) AM180 drum adapters were made for the M10 and M11/9 (as well as Uzi, H & K, AR-15/M16) platforms.  That said, the A & D adapters did not prove to be reliable at the time.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

As the Fleming .22 MAC uppers are around (for a price), I assume that you are referring to a drum magazine fed .22 upper for the MAC platform.  IIRC, people have tried shooting 10/22 form factor .22 drums in the Fleming .22 uppers with limited success.  Also, the A & D (sold by Bazooka Bros.) AM180 drum adapters were made for the M10 and M11/9 (as well as Uzi, H & K, AR-15/M16) platforms.  That said, the A & D adapters did not prove to be reliable at the time.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

A user made a AM180-style upper on Uzitalk. Not sure if he is planning to bring it to market or not though. Seemed like that was once the plan, but I have not seen much else on it recently.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Fleming uppers for the MAC are utter garbage at best. I've seen a few that work, sorta.

I owned one for ~15 years. Tried every trick in the book to make it work; don't think I ever had a single mag dump without a jam or malfunction of some sort. They definitely work better with suppressors, but even then, it's a crapshoot.

Lage really needs to hop into that game. Or.... .22 kit for the MAX-10/15.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm thinking of either doing a Vanvorees style or do something that feeds from black dog mags with a ceiner-ish setup but open bolt.

I'm still on the Tenko list so maybe I'll just use an AR upper one day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Lage made MAC .22 conversions/uppers for a number of years (IIRC, three generations of product) and lost money on them.  Too much hand labor involved.  When the machine that he used to make them wore out, he dropped the product.  However, Practical Solutions has obtained AFT approval and has (or had) a signup list for when they start making MAC .22 products.

I've had a Fleming M11-380.22 upper working successfully for over a year.  They were designed to use the Ramline 10/22 pattern mags of the era when produced.  Now one has to tweak current production 10/22 mags from whoever.  Generally the bolt feed channel has to be opened up (filed deeper in the front and back) or the bolt will hang up/fail to feed.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Lage made MAC .22 conversions/uppers for a number of years (IIRC, three generations of product) and lost money on them.  Too much hand labor involved.  When the machine that he used to make them wore out, he dropped the product.  However, Practical Solutions has obtained AFT approval and has (or had) a signup list for when they start making MAC .22 products.

I've had a Fleming M11-380.22 upper working successfully for over a year.  They were designed to use the Ramline 10/22 pattern mags of the era when produced.  Now one has to tweak current production 10/22 mags from whoever.  Generally the bolt feed channel has to be opened up (filed deeper in the front and back) or the bolt will hang up/fail to feed.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

As of November 2023, the PS kits were in beta testing per their Facebook post. An email I got from Tina said they expect to start manufacturing for retail sale soon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#34]

As of November 2023, the PS kits were in beta testing per their Facebook post. An email I got from Tina said they expect to start manufacturing for retail sale soon.
View Quote

Hell yeah! I did not get that email though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Would love to see a Tippman Arms Style Belt fed 22 upper for a MAC.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Hell yeah! I did not get that email though.
View Quote

It was not a mass email. I just emailed to ask about the status, though I later realized they had asked not to do so. I’m not on Facebook and did not realize they had been posting updates there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#37]

A user made a AM180-style upper on Uzitalk. Not sure if he is planning to bring it to market or not though. Seemed like that was once the plan, but I have not seen much else on it recently.
View Quote

A post on Uzitalk reported that the project did not work out.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#38]

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

More info on that? I have not seen that on UZI.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#39]

It was not a mass email. I just emailed to ask about the status, though I later realized they had asked not to do so. I’m not on Facebook and did not realize they had been posting updates there.
View Quote

I'm not on facepage either. Using that as a method of communication to potential buyers seems very narrow, especially with places like UZI and Sturm. I have to image the average MG owner is 40s or 50s and probably not on the facepage bandwagon. I'm pretty sure I'm on the young end of MG owners at 32 and I've had mine for a few years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

MHO, YMMV, etc.

https://www.uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/m11-180.99160/

Note that the thread doesn't go past Aug. of last year.  So, it looks like a no go as far as I can tell.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

I disagree , Until about 2005 or so they were affordable. Even if a little expensive. Riverbend used to be very anti machine gun. So much so they went after the leaseholder of the neighboring property to stop him from shooting machine guns on that property. They succeeded.
View Quote

I have very vivid memories of me and my brother looking at impact guns mg selection online back around 2005/2006 and the one I remember specifically was the various MACs were right around $1200-$1500. Prices now days are out of reach of the large majority of people.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Blk99sleekbeak:

I have very vivid memories of me and my brother looking at impact guns mg selection online back around 2005/2006 and the one I remember specifically was the various MACs were right around $1200-$1500. Prices now days are out of reach of the large majority of people.
View Quote

It's insane. Apparently my PS M10/45 is in the $10-12k range now. It really jumped in the past few years.

People want to shoot my MG then bitch and moan when I won't take it out in the rain with them. For $15k I'll take it out in the rain for you to shoot one mag dump then spend the rest of the day making sure everything is 100% dry and will not rust.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Full auto is cool.

But it gets expensive, and then it gets old.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I agree if just shooting dirt, cars etc... but I'm still not tired doing SMG matches.  Then tuning guns to be smooth with cyclic rates in the 600s to pull singles, doubles, triples etc at will.  If I didn't do all that then yeah, I probably wouldn't be shooting much.
There were several guys that were really old still doing matches till they passed away.  I hope I will still have the drive like they did unless everything gets banned or ammo not available by then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#45]

I have a handful of uppers for various calibers and ROFs. I giggle every time I pull the trigger. Worry about the ammo costs later. I run with the 556 upper in 3 gun and practical rifle. I usually have a shit eating grin after running a high ROF upper through a kill house.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#46]

In my 22 years of owning MGs, I have never gotten bored of shooting them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#47]

I hope that’s not how it goes for me because everything else got boring once I started shooting full auto. A few hundred rounds with a 9mm pistol just doesn’t scratch that itch like it used to. Maybe this is how guys get into destructive devices? Machine gun gets boring—->buy Howitzer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Folks that can afford a $10k+ MG usually aren’t to worried about the price of ammo.

Plus there are other reasons to own MGs besides just shooting them. They are fun to collect due to their history and age. The prestige of owning a very rare firearm that literally 99.9999%(thats crazy) of the US population doesn’t have access to. Being unofficially part of club of dedicated and passionate firearm enthusiasts. It gets you invited to private ranges and events. The joy it brings to people shooting them. They are a good financial investment. The mechanics of how they operate. And so much more!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#49]

I hope that’s not how it goes for me because everything else got boring once I started shooting full auto. A few hundred rounds with a 9mm pistol just doesn’t scratch that itch like it used to. Maybe this is how guys get into destructive devices? Machine gun gets boring—->buy Howitzer.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing about what’s next after I check all the boxes for the MG collection or they just get to be so insanely expensive that even entry level MGs are unobtainable.

I was thinking a bofors 37mm or similar sized cannon would be pretty cool. Small enough to store in a garage, could pull it with a SUV and not too expensive per round. Unfortunately I don’t have a place where I could shoot something like that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

Folks that can afford a $10k+ MG usually aren’t to worried about the price of ammo.

Plus there are other reasons to own MGs besides just shooting them. They are fun to collect due to their history and age. The prestige of owning a very rare firearm that literally 99.9999%(thats crazy) of the US population doesn’t have access to. Being unofficially part of club of dedicated and passionate firearm enthusiasts. It gets you invited to private ranges and events. The joy it brings to people shooting them. They are a good financial investment. The mechanics of how they operate. And so much more!
View Quote

Remember, it may be $10k now but it wasn't always. I'm a pretty new adopter to the MG world and it wasn't $10k when I got in. It's now over $10k.

I still think about ammo costs. Easy to shoot a few K in ammo with a MG.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
NFA Grooming with MGs (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top