Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2021 10:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_]
I did SBR my ACR.
Mine has been a project of years; I bought my ACR as a dream gun, in California out of all places.

We had to custom modify (reversible mods) in order to make it CA compliant years ago - but I wanted it so bad that I went ahead and purchased it.

Then I had the barrel shortened to 14.7" pinned.
But my real dream lies in the SBR world - I just don't like long(er) guns. I love SBRs.
It's been a year I've lived in FL, moving away from CA - I am one of the ones who did move ALSO to gain a freedom in guns owning I had never known before (I grew up in Italy).

Now long story short, I have SBR'd my ACR. I found a brand new and unfired 10.5" original Bushmaster ACR barrel missing a few pieces (among which, the oprod) and I was able to transfer all the necessary parts (reversibly) from my longer barrel to the current configuration (pictured).

The Shakespearian dilemma is now, should I cut my oprod (and should I cut it myself or rely on someone else by the way?) or wait in hopes of finding a suitable ACR oprod made for a 10.5" barrel length?

The Way We Were by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
@bigdog200399

https://templarprecision.com/

ACR mods are almost always best done by Templar Precision. He might even have op rods on hand. I wouldn’t try it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Findsman:
@bigdog200399

https://templarprecision.com/

ACR mods are almost always best done by Templar Precision. He might even have op rods on hand. I wouldn't try it yourself.
View Quote
Excellent!

thank you.

I have written Dana an email recently - had no idea he was here as well (Dana, Fil here)

thanks much @findsman for the heads up!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Update: barrel and oprod sent to Templar for appropriate oprod cut and fit
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Update: just for everyone to know, I sent the barrel and the oprod to Dana (Templar Precision) who did astounding work with the shortest turnover ever to be seen. I had barrel back worked on in less than three days.

This is service - still alive and kicking.

Forever grateful,

SD

ACR SBR by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Update: just for everyone to know, I sent the barrel and the oprod to Dana (Templar Precision) who did astounding work with the shortest turnover ever to be seen. I had barrel back worked on in less than three days.

Forever grateful,

SD

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51567789281_b89505438c_k.jpgACR SBR by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

this thing makes me go six to midnight....
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KineticAp1:

this thing makes me go six to midnight....
View Quote
YesSir!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
That my friend, is one sexy rifle!

Dana does great things for the acr.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Forever grateful,

SD

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51567789281_b89505438c_k.jpgACR SBR by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

Dana's fucking awesome. I'd give him more of my money but I need another ACR first.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Dana's fucking awesome. I'd give him more of my money but I need another ACR first.
View Quote
HA!

@bigdog200399 WOOOHOOOO (Dana are you reading this, this is Fil again - thanks brother!!!)
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:18:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#10]
HA!

@bigdog200399 WOOOHOOOO (Dana are you reading this, this is Fil again - thanks brother!!!)
View Quote

I think the only part of his I don't have is a folding CH, because it might get in the way of my DBAL switches; and some of the newer versions of parts I already have like lowers and trunnions.

It's actually kind of disgusting how much money I've put into my ACR when I add everything up.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]

I think the only part of his I don't have is a folding CH, because it might get in the way of my DBAL switches; and some of the newer versions of parts I already have like lowers and trunnions.

It's actually kind of disgusting how much money I've put into my ACR when I add everything up.
View Quote
I hear you and I am right there with you, if not specifically with this project, with many others.

As long as we have functional, great looking devices I think it's never a negative thing to have money into a particular platform as long as it all makes sense.

Considering the current rarity off the platform and its Uncertain future, it may even be a sort of investment as of now to have one of these!

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I hear you and I am right there with you, if not specifically with this project, with many others.

As long as we have functional, great looking devices I think it's never a negative thing to have money into a particular platform as long as it all makes sense.

Considering the current rarity off the platform and its Uncertain future, it may even be a sort of investment as of now to have one of these!

View Quote

That's fair.

I have over $3000 in optics on mine between the Elcan and DBAL
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]

That's fair.

I have over $3000 in optics on mine between the Elcan and DBAL
View Quote
SpecterDr I assume, worth every penny!
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
SpecterDr I assume, worth every penny!
View Quote

Yep yep
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Is anybody making a shorter one for those of us who want to swap back and forth between 10" and 16"
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
Is anybody making a shorter one for those of us who want to swap back and forth between 10" and 16"
View Quote
I don't believe so.

I had to modify mine - from the 16" barrel down to the 10" one, so I don't have one suitable for the 16" barrel anymore - that's gone and done (I STILL have the whole barrel setup, perfectly ready to accept a suitable, longer oprod for it).

Dana modified mine - I am not sure if he is willing to build longer ones, or if anyone makes them at all and so on and forth at this point.

Franklin Armory said they were going to support the platform again but I didn't read of any news in this direction just yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top