Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2023 11:49:50 AM EDT
After buying two sexy German springer rifles I went down the rabbit hole of PCP's and bought my first: Air Venturi Avenger (see my other thread).

Air Options:

- Pump.  I bought one and will use initially while I research other ways. I will only get to about 3000 psi (gun rated to 4350 psi) but there are some great "Eco Tunes" out there for the Avenger (externally regulated and hammer spring adjust)

- Tanks (my questions)
Looks like I can get a scuba tank or go up to a carbon tank
Would need to have a dive shop fill - what kind of air do they use? I know oxygen is No-Go due to exposition hazards. I plan to contact paint ball shops locally to check with them.
Would like some input on the best way to go with a tank.

- Compressors
Can you fill a gun up directly from the compressor or do you still need a tank?
Nice part about a compressor is you can fill your own tank and it does not need to be tested (read that on the webs and sounds scary as all hell)
Compressor reviews at major air gun sites is spotty... lots of issues

Appreciate a bit more guidance especially on tanks and an economical way to go...
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I just pump up my PCP pistol the arm strong method, but I remember Andy over at AARonline (on the tube) doing a comparison of several different compressors. Not completely up to date but to me was a good primer on the types available.

The Tubes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssUFjpU6KDI
The Webs
https://www.aar-onair.com/

He's in the UK, so only wimpy air guns are allowed...

Hope it helps,
PN
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got done filling my two Daystates with a Yong Heng cheapo compressor that has served me well for the last 6 years.  They can be had for about 275 more or less and if properly serviced, will last a long time.  They easily take my guns up to 3700 PSI and my buddy uses his to fill his carbon tanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I may go compressor because... it's only money.

Can I fill directly from the compressor into the gun?
Just get the correct hose and fittings and watch gauge on gun?
I suspect a dryer of some sort is needed inline.

Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArimoDave] [#4]
I have the Daystate 120v compressor, and yes you can fill the gun directly with it.  However, it would take more time setting up this particular compress to fill a gun, than a tank.   The smaller compressors are better suited for filling guns, than big tanks, however.

All that said, there is a significant convenience to having a tank for they can be toted in the field easier than a compressor.  

Note:  I started out filling with a hand pump for a few years, and then went to a SCUBA tank, which I still use for some things. The local dive shop gives me free refills and visual inspections since I purchased the tank through them. This is clean dry breathing air which is what I'll keep in the SCUBA tank.  Once I got a PCP that had a regulator, the desire to fill to higher pressure became a bit of a problem.  I started the fills with the tank, and then topped off with the hand pump.  For casual use, this worked quite well.  Once I started shooting over 100 shots per visit at the range during local competitions and in practice, I decided that an SCBA  high pressure tank (Tiger Shark from Joe Brancato) and compressor were worth the expense.  

My choice in the tank and compressor were due to sponsorship support for particular competitions, though more expensive than other options.

ETA:  Dryers are more critical during humid days or climates.  If I fill on a cold winter day here, there is no water collected in the separator that is built into my compressor.   I do, however, on most days that I fill, pre-dry the air by passing the intake through a filter I made that contains desiccant.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#5]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
After buying two sexy German springer rifles I went down the rabbit hole of PCP's and bought my first: Air Venturi Avenger (see my other thread).

Air Options:

- Pump.  I bought one and will use initially while I research other ways. I will only get to about 3000 psi (gun rated to 4350 psi) but there are some great "Eco Tunes" out there for the Avenger (externally regulated and hammer spring adjust)

- Tanks (my questions)
Looks like I can get a scuba tank or go up to a carbon tank
Would need to have a dive shop fill - what kind of air do they use? I know oxygen is No-Go due to exposition hazards. I plan to contact paint ball shops locally to check with them.
Would like some input on the best way to go with a tank.

- Compressors
Can you fill a gun up directly from the compressor or do you still need a tank?
Nice part about a compressor is you can fill your own tank and it does not need to be tested (read that on the webs and sounds scary as all hell)
Compressor reviews at major air gun sites is spotty... lots of issues

Appreciate a bit more guidance especially on tanks and an economical way to go...
View Quote

I have scuba tanks for my paintball guns for screwing around with at home for like 20 years, and at least half a dozen carbon fiber tanks. Just hit up a scuba shop, ask if they have used tanks freshly hydro'd for sale, and grab one of those, or a new one if they don't. Then all you need is a fill station. Super easy and gets you to 3K psi. Maybe $10 bucks at the shop to fill. Hydro is simple, drop off tank, pay them money, they give you tank back until it is old or fails. Fill is just normal (and very dry) air.

If you have a local paintball shop to fill at (and maybe scuba does, I never asked), you could go carbon fiber @ 4.5K fills, but gets spendy on the larger tanks.

Mad power to you on pumping something to 3k, but that looks like suck.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The Path I took, was to buy a 74 CF air tank. I have two dive shops that will fill it, the catch, they only will fill to about 3600psi

Which still works for me. Filling a gun from a compressor takes time. filling from a tank is quick and easy.

And while I fill the tank from a Dive shop, I've been saving for a buy once...cry once compressor. and Alkin W31

The one common factor with all the cheap, low-cost compressors.... They will eventually die.

And then I will be set. all the air I will ever need.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my Air Venturi Avenger today. Received the Four Uncles hand pump earlier this week. Per AV Avenger instructions, I reset the regulator to 0 psi so I could do an eco-tune of 1400 psi at regulator and 1.5 out on hammer spring (damn this gun is going to be fun, and cost my $1k+ because I'm going to buy more)

My rings were too high so new ones ordered, I didn't mount scope. From 0 psi it took me about an hour of very casual pumping to get up to 3000 psi, about 25 pumps and long breaks for heat. Took some shots sans sights but was hitting 8x11 target at 10 yards.

And... I ordered a Yong Heng compressor, pumping is a last resort.
Next, I'll order a SCBA carbon tank for filling and taking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top