Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2023 11:26:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alevinson91]
So unlike some, I choose to run my super high back pressure cans on my scars. Having the unique ability to tune the literal gas port, I actually find them to be great hosts for overgassed cans as long as you understand how to moderate the system.

The one issue this has caused is not being able to run the rifles unsuppressed and still be pleasant to shoot with a can.

My 10” 16s with YHM turbo functions very pleasantly with a 1.5mm gas jet with NATO ammo but is wishy washy without a can. I run it dedicated suppressed but still like to know I can use it without a can. I checked out one of the KNS plug prototypes when they went out for testing and thought they looked really promising. Finally got one this week and I’ve gotta say it’s a nice package. 3 gas jets (1.5-2.0-2.5), with a gas jet tool and the plug.

I changed my 1.5 to a 2 and started at about setting 8 (out of 13) on the gas plug. I ran it all the way down to 1 with the YHM on and was able to get it to lock back, albeit super sluggishly. On 3 it seems to be perfect mix of gas and softness of recoil. On setting 8 without the can, it runs unsuppressed like a dream. My only real complaint with it is that on the 10” barrel, it’s a bit tough to adjust, being boxed in a tiny opening between the muzzle device, the (aftermarket) rail on both sides, and the receiver, but this is no fault of the part itself.

For most, I’d say it’s honestly overkill if you’re running no can or a well gassed can, but for those shooing 17’s with different ammo types or either model with a can, I think it’s a great addition for not a ton of money.

Will report back after I get more rounds through it to see how it holds up
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: themao] [#1]
I was wondering the same thing. Thank you very much for the report. So if you run a relatively low back pressure can, might be over kill if happy running a Stock SCAR gas jet on suppressed?

My 16” SCAR 17 has always run without any issues with my Surefire 762 SOCOM can in terms of the gas. When switched to suppressed, I’ve always had a very smooth, pleasant, recoil impulse.

I have yet to suppress my 14” pin and weld SCAR 16 NRCH. I’m waiting for two different Dead Air Cans to emerge from NFA prison, and I’m on the fence to buy a Sierra 5, since I had a smith pin and weld a Keymo FH to the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought about getting one but my Mototech Engineering 3 position Regulator works just fine with my Sandman S.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By themao:
I was wondering the same thing. Thank you very much for the report. So if you run a relatively low back pressure can, might be over kill if happy running a Stock SCAR gas jet on suppressed?

My 16” SCAR 17 has always run without any issues with my Surefire 762 SOCOM can in terms of the gas. When switched to suppressed, I’ve always had a very smooth, pleasant, recoil impulse.

I have yet to suppress my 14” pin and weld SCAR 16 NRCH. I’m waiting for two different Dead Air Cans to emerge from NFA prison, and I’m on the fence to buy a Sierra 5, since I had a smith pin and weld a Keymo FH to the barrel.
View Quote

So to be honest, I run a relatively low backpressure can on my 13' Scar17, but since the pressures in different .308's and 7.62's varies so widely, I use it to be able to dial down to the lowest setting where it'll lock back +2 to be able to 'tune' it to the ammo I'll be running that day.

My scar 16 with the high back pressure can honestly didn't need it, as I run it suppressed 100% of the time, but I figured it wasn't doing nay harm so I left it on there in the unlikely instance I need to run it without a can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top