Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
9/25/2026 8:03:35 PM EDT
I'm hoping to pick up my AP5 clone tomorrow, it comes with a Tri Lug muzzle device. I was initially going to use my YHM R9, but I think the Rugged fits my needs a little better. I'm quite excited.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/25/2026 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:
I'm hoping to pick up my AP5 clone tomorrow, it comes with a Tri Lug muzzle device. I was initially going to use my YHM R9, but I think the Rugged fits my needs a little better. I'm quite excited.
View Quote


I run a R9 on my AP5. Its great with subsonic 147g ammo.
Im sure the Sub9 will be greatererer.
9/25/2026 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a Sub9 on my Springfield Kuna. I like it.
"Montani Semper Liberi"
"Mountaineers Are Always Free"
West Virginia State Motto
9/25/2026 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You made a good decision.  Quieter than my r9 and it comes with the best 3 lug available. It is a good deal.
9/25/2026 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and love it, plus I'm a big fan of the Bixler style mount.
9/25/2026 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I have one and love it, plus I'm a big fan of the Bixler style mount.
View Quote

Sorry, could you expand on that? I haven't heard the term.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/25/2026 9:57:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6731HBAR][Edited] [#6]
This might help

A brief explaination that shows Bixler I think Thunder can compared to the Bixler used by rugged.  The Bixler takes a bit longer to attach compared to a spring mount but is a much more solid/stable mount.  I've never had a problem with my original 3 lug mount but I like the bixler.

@Elittlefield
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” President Gerald Ford
9/25/2026 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I have one and love it, plus I'm a big fan of the Bixler style mount.
View Quote


Same here.  Plus, I bought the RU3 mount for my other 9mm HUB cans.
9/26/2026 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

Sorry, could you expand on that? I haven't heard the term.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I have one and love it, plus I'm a big fan of the Bixler style mount.

Sorry, could you expand on that? I haven't heard the term.
Here is a link to my site where I discuss this.  The Tim Bixler mount is the OG 3 lug suppressor mount.  Solid lock up.  No springs to fail but slower to remove/install that the typical spring loaded mount that was invented by Greg Latka.  https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=553
Bixler below.


Greg's Latka's below.  Greg is also GSL suppressors.
9/26/2026 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
This might help

A brief explaination that shows Bixler I think Thunder can compared to the Bixler used by rugged.  The Bixler takes a bit longer to attach compared to a spring mount but is a much more solid/stable mount.  I've never had a problem with my original 3 lug mount but I like the bixler.

@Elittlefield
View Quote
That was a great video but wanted to mention 2 things.
1.  Regarding being compact and aesthetics -   this is AR15.com and so I like to run a lot of 9mm M16's and prefer a slim rail that most cans will not fit under.  So with the OG Bixler, you can tuck the nut inside the rail like seen in my picture below:



With the can removed, you don't even know there is a 3 lug under there unless you look close.


So for the setup pictured above, only mounts 2,3 below would work.  The RU3 and BT are too fat to fit under that rail.  The BT will partially go under some rails but since the nut has a flange to interface the leaf spring, it can't go in as deep as 2,3.  EX: the  grooved section of the BT nut will fit nicely under a BCM MCMR but the flange is too big.


The OG Bixler nut is only 1.125" diameter so will fit under just about any rail in existence.

Now of course this doesn't apply if you are running a gun that has a completely exposed 3 lug like an MP5.

2.  Regarding the loss of volume.  This is can specific.  With some cans, I agree that you won't notice a difference but in my two examples below the difference in sound is noticeable.





I think the setup below looked great but it was really loud with the RU3.



I switched back to the OG Bixler for this can.

9/26/2026 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
You won't be disappointed.  IMO it's the best sounding subgun suppressor with the best 3 lug mounting system available.
9/26/2026 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one to replace the Omega 9k on my Sig MPX and have been happy with it.
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Yesterday 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Sub9 is phenomenal on the MP5. The lockup is tight, zero wobble
Yesterday 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Spacejunk:
Sub9 is phenomenal on the MP5. The lockup is tight, zero wobble
View Quote

Excellent to hear.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
Yesterday 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Put some subs through it. Youre gonna be stoked.

My only complaint is rugged didnt make it out of Ti.
Yesterday 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Sigh.
This place and my wallet.
FOooooK me!
Been looking for a dedicated can for my SP5 so I can use the Octane elsewhere. Then I find this thread.

Today 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Originally Posted By amphibian:
So for the setup pictured above, only mounts 2,3 below would work.  The RU3 and BT are too fat to fit under that rail.  The BT will partially go under some rails but since the nut has a flange to interface the leaf spring, it can't go in as deep as 2,3.  EX: the  grooved section of the BT nut will fit nicely under a BCM MCMR but the flange is too big.


The OG Bixler nut is only 1.125" diameter so will fit under just about any rail in existence.

Now of course this doesn't apply if you are running a gun that has a completely exposed 3 lug like an MP5.
View Quote

The RU3 being aluminum is a flaw, IMO.  Note the wear in this pic from a thread over at reddit:



Mount material probably should've been SS, or at least Ti. Weight savings was obviously the goal, but still, when it comes to the mount hardware, Al isn't going to win a friction fight with a steel muzzle device. Just saying.

Hansohn Bros Bixler mount isn't listed on their site, so I assume it's OOP.
Today 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Originally Posted By captexas:
I got one to replace the Omega 9k on my Sig MPX and have been happy with it.
View Quote


How’s the blowback with the Sub9 on the MPX?
Today 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

The RU3 being aluminum is a flaw, IMO.  Note the wear in this pic from a thread over at reddit:

https://preview.redd.it/rigged-ru3-failure-v0-syhb2kyrhpng1.jpeg?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e8dafa43560f69283f8b9d1df2ce73468a9ef43d

Mount material probably should've been SS, or at least Ti. Weight savings was obviously the goal, but still, when it comes to the mount hardware, Al isn't going to win a friction fight with a steel muzzle device. Just saying.

Hansohn Bros Bixler mount isn't listed on their site, so I assume it's OOP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Originally Posted By amphibian:
So for the setup pictured above, only mounts 2,3 below would work.  The RU3 and BT are too fat to fit under that rail.  The BT will partially go under some rails but since the nut has a flange to interface the leaf spring, it can't go in as deep as 2,3.  EX: the  grooved section of the BT nut will fit nicely under a BCM MCMR but the flange is too big.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/09/2026_Hub-Bixlers.jpg

The OG Bixler nut is only 1.125" diameter so will fit under just about any rail in existence.

Now of course this doesn't apply if you are running a gun that has a completely exposed 3 lug like an MP5.

The RU3 being aluminum is a flaw, IMO.  Note the wear in this pic from a thread over at reddit:

https://preview.redd.it/rigged-ru3-failure-v0-syhb2kyrhpng1.jpeg?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e8dafa43560f69283f8b9d1df2ce73468a9ef43d

Mount material probably should've been SS, or at least Ti. Weight savings was obviously the goal, but still, when it comes to the mount hardware, Al isn't going to win a friction fight with a steel muzzle device. Just saying.

Hansohn Bros Bixler mount isn't listed on their site, so I assume it's OOP.

Yikes. That's pretty bad.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
Today 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:The RU3 being aluminum is a flaw, IMO.  Note the wear in this pic...
View Quote
That’s not “wear”, that’s broke. There should be 3 notches, not 6. You’re right though about aluminum being a mistake. Here’s another, very ‘worn’

Today 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
That's not "wear", that's broke. There should be 3 notches, not 6. You're right though about aluminum being a mistake. Here's another, very 'worn'

https://i.redd.it/119d1d5zc68h1.jpeg
View Quote
In the time between 1990 and 1996, Gemtech licensed the Bixler design and they also used aluminum for the the nuts and I've never seen those fail like we are seeing with the RU3.  However, the Internet wasn't big back then and I also think Gemtech had more wall thickness in that area.  
I am wondering if these people that have broken the RU3's are torquing them onto the muzzle too hard and using the wrench flats when mounting to the gun which I think you shouldn't do.

All that said, I prefer the OG design w/ a SS nut and if I couldn't get that, the BT RDQ made out of Titanium is really nice.

BTW, I've been communicating with Shaw and they will be coming out with the OG Bixler and a compact version.  I told them I still prefer the OG since you can tuck the nut inside a rail like I posted above.
Today 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Originally Posted By amphibian:
BTW, I've been communicating with Shaw and they will be coming out with the OG Bixler and a compact version.  I told them I still prefer the OG since you can tuck the nut inside a rail like I posted above.
View Quote

Any ETA on the release?
Today 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
This might help

A brief explaination that shows Bixler I think Thunder can compared to the Bixler used by rugged.  The Bixler takes a bit longer to attach compared to a spring mount but is a much more solid/stable mount.  I've never had a problem with my original 3 lug mount but I like the bixler.

@Elittlefield
View Quote



  I just got my first Bixler mount and my initial impression is that I prefer it over the spring.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Today 1:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru][Edited] [#23]
How the fuck does wear like that even happen?
The busted flange sure but 3 extra slots created almost perfectly?  

I have a Shaw Bixler HUB adapter on my R9 and it doesnt budge.  
I dont smack it against stuff though.  And I dont crank it down either.
Today 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Originally Posted By networkguru:
How the fuck does wear like that even happen?
The busted flange sure but 3 extra slots created almost perfectly?
View Quote
The broken sections are the recesses for the lugs when tightened, so they're the thinnest part of what already feels like a thin part. Even turning it by hand without mounting anything, it feels flimsy to me.
Today 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Any ETA on the release?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Originally Posted By amphibian:
BTW, I've been communicating with Shaw and they will be coming out with the OG Bixler and a compact version.  I told them I still prefer the OG since you can tuck the nut inside a rail like I posted above.

Any ETA on the release?
First of all, I have no affiliation with Shaw other than being a customer and being happy with my purchases. I hear horror stories about confusion on orders and missed timelines.

I have been a proponent for the Bixler mount for over 20 years and get hit up all the time about them.  Joe at Shaw never heard about them and I am the one that loaned one to him for cloning.  

All that said, I have been very close to getting a run of Bixler mounts made for my website but always hesitant to do so when you have had several players out there but right now as of today there appears to be zero for the OG mount.  I would go for the BT mount if you are impatient and want something stronger than the Rugged RU3 that is available today.
Today 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Originally Posted By amphibian:I am wondering if these people that have broken the RU3's are torquing them onto the muzzle too hard and using the wrench flats when mounting to the gun which I think you shouldn't do.
View Quote
That's being generous as they're some of the smallest wrench flats ever. You can tell when people use them because they're rounded and the finish is gone According to the manual, they're to be used to remove the RU3 from the host if it already came off the suppressor.
Today 2:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb][Edited] [#27]
Quote History
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
That’s not “wear”, that’s broke. There should be 3 notches, not 6. You’re right though about aluminum being a mistake. Here’s another, very ‘worn’

https://i.redd.it/119d1d5zc68h1.jpeg
View Quote


I'm pretty sure that one got shot when it fell off due to operator error.  It was likely tightened down without ensuring the mount rotated at first and captured the lugs.  That would mean it seemed like it was fully tightened down but not actually holding on to anything.  The person that posted it said they got a few rounds off before switching to "super safe" and launching their can down range.  

Now, the one with 3 new slots where the lugs were is interesting.  But that's one out of presumably thousands in use?  I would imagine there would be plenty more reports like that if it was going to be a widespread issue.

What I'm getting at is that OP should be fine.  It's not like there's a bunch of them spectacularly failing.
Today 9:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy][Edited] [#28]
Quote History
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:
Now, the one with 3 new slots where the lugs were is interesting.  But that's one out of presumably thousands in use?  I would imagine there would be plenty more reports like that if it was going to be a widespread issue.
View Quote

the part that is failing is made from aluminum. the areas that are failing is also a relatively thin area. the mount is relatively new, so its not like like theres a bazillion of them out there.

everyone needs to keep in mind there are a lot of FRT users out there right now. there are also a lot of 'newbies' in this space with the zero dollar stamp and over the counter suppressors. you are going to get a lot of people who dont understand NFA nuances and they are just gonna break/destroy shit. without more info its hard to say whose fault it really is.

the good news is ruggeds warranty is good. they have plenty of practice rebuilding obsidians.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Armory Sponsor