Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dino1130:

Working on this as the power supply number is not in my records. Just want you to know I see the post and am investigating. I am pretty sure what it is but I like to be 100% sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ncorry:
I've got one that when I remove the retaining ring and the light pipe, the part of the tube that is visible states: ITT 282867-9-031  S/N 209623 DC0712.  Any help figuring out what I've got would be appreciated.  It does have manual gain and is in a PVS14 housing.

Working on this as the power supply number is not in my records. Just want you to know I see the post and am investigating. I am pretty sure what it is but I like to be 100% sure.

Thank you again for your dedication and assistance to this forum.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes
I've got one that when I remove the retaining ring and the light pipe, the part of the tube that is visible states: ITT 282867-9-031  S/N 209623 DC0712.  Any help figuring out what I've got would be appreciated.  It does have manual gain and is in a PVS14 housing.

Any update?  I don't need 100% certainty, hell, I'd take your 85% sure to the bank.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:14:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#3]

Any update?  I don't need 100% certainty, hell, I'd take your 85% sure to the bank.
View All Quotes

I have not given up ! I just can't find that power supply number anywhere. I will not accept defeat so I will be forced to ask for outside help (phone calls) as so far it has stumped me. I am fairly positive it is a autogated Gen 3 tube but I just can't tell you 100% until I can find info on this power supply number. A contract number would help me a great deal but we don't have one here.

I have also asked my Aussie friend to help with his superior research skills.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]

I am somewhat stumped by this one also - Does it have the two-pins that connect to the pigtail, or does the pigtail disappear into the power supply itself?

David

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cj7hawk:

I am somewhat stumped by this one also - Does it have the two-pins that connect to the pigtail, or does the pigtail disappear into the power supply itself?

David

View Quote

I have no idea.  How far apart do I need to take it to find out?

Dino- it was sold as a Gen III autogated with manual gain.  It does have manual gain.  As for autogated or not, it has zero audible whine to it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Dino- it was sold as a Gen III autogated with manual gain.  It does have manual gain.  As for autogated or not, it has zero audible whine to it.
View All Quotes

David

Can you post a pic of the top of the tube where the pigtail goes into it ? The lack of audible whine is not always telling. Give me some pics of the pigtail and where it goes into the top of the tube.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RooAR15] [#7]
Great thread!

Any knowledge on this one?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/KbIAAOSwpDdU~sqp/$_57.JPG

Would this be an improvement over a Gen2+ mx10160 tube?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Can you post a pic of the top of the tube where the pigtail goes into it ? The lack of audible whine is not always telling. Give me some pics of the pigtail and where it goes into the top of the tube.
View All Quotes

David

Do these help?  That was as far as I could get the tube to come out without using something to pry on it, which I didn't really want to do.  If I need to pull farther, or if I am completely taking pics of the wrong place, just let me know.  Again, that you and CJ for all of your assistance and for freely sharing your knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#9]
Originally Posted By RooAR15:
Great thread!

Any knowledge on this one?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/gxYAAOSwNSxU~sqq/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/KbIAAOSwpDdU~sqp/$_57.JPG

Would this be an improvement over a Gen2+ mx10160 tube?
View Quote

Well, it is a Gen 3 tube and not gated. Looks like a export tube and as I have no idea what the specs were limited to for that export tube I can't really tell a great deal. Depending on who made and what kind of Gen 2+ tube you have it may or may not be better.

Not enough info here for me to tell you much more. Your gen 3 is probably Omni III to IV performance but that is a educated guess. Some pics at night through both of your tubes would tell me a little more to judge.

The "SE" in front of the NSN number tells me your tube was sold to Sweden if that helps you any.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Tube%20Pic%202.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Tube%20Pic%204.jpg

Do these help?  That was as far as I could get the tube to come out without using something to pry on it, which I didn't really want to do.  If I need to pull farther, or if I am completely taking pics of the wrong place, just let me know.  Again, that you and CJ for all of your assistance and for freely sharing your knowledge.
View All Quotes

David

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Tube%20Pic%202.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Tube%20Pic%204.jpg

I got some emails out to get this settled. If these guys don't know I am just going to have to go with my educated guess which was a autogated Pinnacle with Omni VI to VII performance. Possibly a milspec tube someone has peeled the label off of. I sent this out to the best folks I know so I will wait for a response. We shall see if I am right or wrong.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ncorry] [#11]

I got some emails out to get this settled. If these guys don't know I am just going to have to go with my educated guess which was a autogated Pinnacle with Omni VI to VII performance. Possibly a milspec tube someone has peeled the label off of. I sent this out to the best folks I know so I will wait for a response. We shall see if I am right or wrong.
View Quote

I hope you're right.  I'll take VI to VII.  I've got an ITT OPMOD with a decent spec sheet (SNR 26.6, .92 Halo, 2065 Lum) and it has a slightly brighter tube, but it whines audibly.  This one doesn't give anything up to the OPMOD in the field, and I can't hear this one whine pressed against my ear.  

Oh, and again, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome Ncorry. Heck, at this point I want to know as bad as you do. Pisses me off when a simple tube stumps me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#13]

I hope you're right.  I'll take VI to VII.  I've got an ITT OPMOD with a decent spec sheet (SNR 26.6, .92 Halo, 2065 Lum) and it has a slightly brighter tube, but it whines audibly.  This one doesn't give anything up to the OPMOD in the field, and I can't hear this one whine pressed against my ear.  

View All Quotes

Here is what Ed told me with some personal stuff edited out. He is my go to expert when all else fails. I was right but Ed confirmed my thoughts. I really was only 95% sure. Below is what Ed told me with minor editing.

"
Tube
Actions

Edward R. Wilcox Jr.

Hello Dean,

The power supply you have is an autogated power supply used in Pinnacle tubes.  It was made shortly after ITT purchased K&M so they kept the K&M Model numbering convention placed after "ITT" until they devised their own with a new design.  The power supply was made in the third week of February 2012.  Prior K&M autogated power supplies used this three section numbering while using only two sections for DC tubes, example being K&M 272069-8  "

Translated your tube is most likely Omni VI to VII and is autogated.We don't have a spec sheet for your tube so I am estimating Omni performance based on time of production.   ITT 282867-9-031 S/N 209623 DC0712
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jippo:
Bunch of these Litton mx10160 have been available in Europe lately. From what I can gather, I think they are ex UK MOD surplus tubes. Do you have any additional info on these. I had a look through one and it seemed ok, but had a rather dark image. They are reasonably priced for the European market.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/Jippo01/LittonMX10160_zpsc0da3786.jpg

View Quote

Jippo I am sorry I missed this one ! It is a export tube so it is most likely under 1600 FOM but is Gen 3. Maybe Omni IV and not a gated tube. These export tubes are really tough as I don't have any info on the contracts with outside governments.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]
the "99" in the nsn no. refers to it being a uk tube and the 8e or se in front of the number -  could be refering to the batch for export as its outside the nsn number
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:39:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#16]
Originally Posted By johnelot:
the "99" in the nsn no. refers to it being a uk tube and the 8e or se in front of the number -  could be refering to the batch for export as its outside the nsn number
View Quote

The documents I have with the NSN numbers such as SE in front of 5855 denotes the country it was sold to. I don't know all about this yet I as I still studying up on all these export tubes. I will post a link as soon as I find it again. I don't know what 8E is yet as I read GB should be in front for a UK sold tube. I could have this all wrong though. I can spot export tubes though so that is a plus !

99 is UK though. I am still learning on decoding these export tubes...
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:45:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ncorry] [#17]
Here is what Ed told me with some personal stuff edited out. He is my go to expert when all else fails. I was right but Ed confirmed my thoughts. I really was only 95% sure. Below is what Ed told me with minor editing.

Edward R. Wilcox Jr.

Hello Dean,

The power supply you have is an autogated power supply used in Pinnacle tubes.  It was made shortly after ITT purchased K&M so they kept the K&M Model numbering convention placed after "ITT" until they devised their own with a new design.  The power supply was made in the third week of February 2012.  Prior K&M autogated power supplies used this three section numbering while using only two sections for DC tubes, example being K&M 272069-8  "

Translated your tube is most likely Omni VI to VII and is autogated.We don't have a spec sheet for your tube so I am estimating Omni performance based on time of production.   ITT 282867-9-031 S/N 209623 DC0712
View Quote

Dino- man, you sure come through.  Thank you very, very much.  It is truly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Dino- man, you sure come through.  Thank you very, very much.  It is truly appreciated.
View All Quotes

Edward R. Wilcox Jr.

Hello Dean,

Glad I could help. I updated my power supply list so we don't go through this again !
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:01:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ncorry] [#19]

Glad I could help. I updated my power supply list so we don't go through this again !
View All Quotes

Edward R. Wilcox Jr.

Hello Dean,

Don't know if you keep track of such things, but that tube was purchased in a single AA housing PVS14 from AE Optics.  Now that I think about it, I don't know if that information would've been helpful two weeks ago....

Don't know if you keep track of such things, but that tube was purchased in a single AA housing PVS14 from AE Optics. Now that I think about it, I don't know if that information would've been helpful two weeks ago....
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's the one in my new N-14.  Armasight said it's a Photonis but how do I tell?  There are no markings other than the Serial number.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Jippo I am sorry I missed this one ! It is a export tube so it is most likely under 1600 FOM but is Gen 3. Maybe Omni IV and not a gated tube. These export tubes are really tough as I don't have any info on the contracts with outside governments.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jippo:
Bunch of these Litton mx10160 have been available in Europe lately. From what I can gather, I think they are ex UK MOD surplus tubes. Do you have any additional info on these. I had a look through one and it seemed ok, but had a rather dark image. They are reasonably priced for the European market.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/Jippo01/LittonMX10160_zpsc0da3786.jpg

No problem Dino! I took a bit of plunge with one of these, and it was worth it. If I had to pick a guess, I'd wager you estimatd the specs just about right.

Your knowledge and willingness in helping us amateurs is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RooAR15:
Here's the one in my new N-14.  Armasight said it's a Photonis but how do I tell?  There are no markings other than the Serial number.

http://s7.postimg.org/r939oftuj/IMG_4550.jpg
View Quote

It looks like a Photonis as the Rooskie tubes I have seen don't look like that. They are probably Photonis tubes that failed milspec and they removed all markings except serial number. Maybe because they are selling them cheaply they don't want the Photonis name on them. Not a Russian tube though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RooAR15] [#23]
That's great news!  Thanks for the reply.  And that makes sense about them removing markings due to the tubes being sub standard.  It has one pretty large blem and several very tiny almost invisible pin prick blems.  Other than that it's a good tube and I'm very pleased with its light gathering capability.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
they might have used their own serial number as it is not in the usual style photonis use
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
so what exactly is the difference between an ITT PINNACLE and an ITT ULTRA tube?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Freedom556:
so what exactly is the difference between an ITT PINNACLE and an ITT ULTRA tube?
View Quote

Pinnacle tubes are gated and thin filmed. The older Ultra tubes were not gated and regular filmed. A common ITT "Ultra" tube is the MX-10160A Omni IV Anvis tube. Most folks don't use the term Ultra tube in common talk about tubes though. It was just what ITT labeled their tube.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: p33krN] [#27]

Any ideas on these?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#28]
Originally Posted By p33krN:

http://i.imgur.com/gOYFTa4.jpg

Any ideas on these?
View Quote

Show me pics of top and bottom of tube. Probably early Gen 3 with Omni 1 or 2 performance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:09:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RooAR15] [#30]

http://i.imgur.com/gOYFTa4.jpg

Any ideas on these?
View Quote

The year of these ITT Gen 3 tubes is 1990 so I think they are OMNI III.  I think the resolution should be 50+ and S/N 19+.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Album link: http://imgur.com/a/uHfVE
View Quote

In 1990 (when these tubes were made) the US just started making Omni III tubes. I assume these are export tubes and perform lower. They are Gen 3 but as I said performance would be in the Omni I to II range. Not the latest and greatest but should allow you to see in the dark fairly well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the answer, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:55:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tiger502] [#33]
ITT 273358-35 S/N 121600898  10160 tube in an AVS9, thanks!

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:34:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#34]
Originally Posted By tiger502:

View Quote

ITT MX-10160C autogated Anvis tube. Tube is milspec and they are very nice tubes. Aviation tubes are some of the best and perform great.

ETA: You made my day as this is a easy one. Usually they give me some obscure tube from Somalia to decipher.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#35]

ITT MX-10160C autogated Anvis tube. Tube is milspec and they are very nice tubes. Aviation tubes are some of the best and perform great.

ETA: You made my day as this is a easy one. Usually they give me some obscure tube from Somalia to decipher.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tiger502:

Thank you very much Dino! I will get a Thales Lucie googles next week and may post the tube here ask for its detail.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freedom556] [#36]
Okay what do i have here?

Dino?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#37]
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/morningstar333/media/20150417_132209.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/morningstar333/20150417_132209.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/morningstar333/media/20150417_132221.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/morningstar333/20150417_132221.jpg</a>

Dino?
View Quote

My records tell me Omni VI. Strange the contract number is missing but the serial number is intact. ITT milspec Gen 3 autogated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freedom556] [#38]
would it have the thin film? What exactly makes a tube a "pinnacle"?
also...  should I worry about the diopter being off since I took the ocular off to look at the tube? I don't see any change from before I took it off. Anything I need to look for or worry about?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:22:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#39]
would it have the thin film? What exactly makes a tube a "pinnacle"?
also...  should I worry about the diopter being off since I took the ocular off to look at the tube? I don't see any change from before I took it off. Anything I need to look for or worry about?
View Quote

This thread is for tube identification and I don't want to muddy it with general NV questions. That said Pinnacle tubes are just a ITT brand name. All Pinnacle tubes are thin filmed and gated. Please ask the rest in the general NV forum.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stevis182] [#40]
Having trouble figuring out what this is. About to buy it so help is appreciated. I'm hoping its omni 6 autogated but might be a little old? Maybe V? Guy is asking 2k with no spec sheet. Dino seems to be quite the expert. If you could post or PM me your thoughts I would GREATLY appreciate it. Just don't want to plop down that much money for something mediocre when I see omni VII pvs 14's going for 2200-2300

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:50:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino1130] [#41]
ITT Omni VI autogated Pinnacle. Milspec tubes don't come with data sheets as they are guaranteed to meet the contract specs and usually perform higher. If the tube is used 2K is a lot to pay IMHO. I think value is $1300 to $1500 for a used one. Nice tube but I would not pay 2K.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Interesting..... The guy saif it was a litton tube. Guess he was wrong. Thanks so much!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#43]
ITT Omni VI autogated Pinnacle. Milspec tubes don't come with data sheets as they are guaranteed to meet the contract specs and usually perform higher. If the tube is used 2K is a lot to pay IMHO. I think value is $1300 to $1500 for a used one. Nice tube but I would not pay 2K.
View Quote

Are you referring to just the tube? He was asking 2k for the entire pvs14. Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By stevis182:

Are you referring to just the tube? He was asking 2k for the entire pvs14. Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stevis182:

If it is a complete PVS-14 then 2K is a fair deal. MFR code 13567 is the cage code for ITT
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:23:31 AM EDT
[#45]
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/morningstar333/media/20150417_132209.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/morningstar333/20150417_132209.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/morningstar333/media/20150417_132221.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/morningstar333/20150417_132221.jpg</a>

Dino?
View Quote
I came across a tube just like this, same id #, same NSN, however it was not autogated. The CAD date was from 2004. Maybe a MILspec export model?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:40:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Escotch] [#46]
nevermind
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:18:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RooAR15] [#47]
Here's another eBay one.  Dino are you able to work out the year and any other details?  The seller says it's Gen4 but I know that's not right.  He's a trustworthy seller though as I have bought two tubes from him that have been really nice.  I can only guess that he doesn't know much about NV, hence calling this one Gen 4.  The listing has over a week left and is already up over $800.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#48]
RooAR15, have you already found David's great site at http://aunv.blackice.com.au/cgi-bin/nightvision/forum?index=discussions&story=omni ?

It lists ITT 9800P as follows:

Tube F9800P      
Contract Omni IV  
lp/mm   64
uA/lm 1800
@830 190
@880 80
SNR 21
Gain 40000-70000
FOM 1344
Halo 2,5
MTF25 38
BLR 12
FOM 1600 max
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Can anyone tell me about my tube ? I've been trying to check to see what it is all I can tell is it has itt on it .

Sorry the pics not the best
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By gungrass:
Can anyone tell me about my tube ? I've been trying to check to see what it is all I can tell is it has itt on it .

<a href="http://s813.photobucket.com/user/Hatefuldrug/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/Hatefuldrug/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg</a>

Sorry the pics not the best
View Quote

Hard for me to read the numbers. Can you just type them out for me ?
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top